Picking a Movie for tonight

Aug 21, 2005
next door
so Argo wins 3 Oscars tonight, Best Pictures, Best Adaptation and film editing. everyone that went up to get the Oscar including Ben Afleck thanked Iran and acknowledged the hardship in iran. pretty cool!

Oct 18, 2010
well it was nice to see 3 bearded iranian looking men pick up the oscar's for best film.the moolas must be happy seeing their look is in vogue in hollywood.but the link with the first lady to award the prize was overly political and tacky.it's something you expected from the soviet union style of showmanship.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
It is more complicated. All know that US embassy staff in Iran were not bunch of innocents trying to export fertilizers. They were actively involved in the process from the get go, forcing Shah out, pressing the army to bow to Khomeini, pioneering the world in recognizing Khomeini's regime, pouring people on their payroll into Iran's revolutionary government, and then acting as the US proxy in shaping the events in Iran the way they wanted. They just didn't know Mullah's traditionally liked Europe better.

Although these sort of moves were not considered too savage in the cold war era, hostage taking was the single most fucked up thing happened to Iran after Mogul invasion.

well it was nice to see 3 bearded iranian looking men pick up the oscar's for best film.the moolas must be happy seeing their look is in vogue in hollywood.but the link with the first lady to award the prize was overly political and tacky.it's something you expected from the soviet union style of showmanship.
Hahaha!

I was disappointed to see Argo do well again. I've still not seen it but thinking back over my comments, I don't think I should criticise the film but just the concept. I thought Argo was a one-off until I discovered the other week what "Zero Dark Thirty" was about. US cannot move on from their conflict/frictions with the Middle East unless they make a $100,000,000 film about it. I'm about to write about Hollywood and its power of influence on my blog very soon...

It's always good to hear that Iranian people "want to be friends with the people in the United States", however, that has been common knowledge for so long to us (Tehrangelis, Western influences in Tehran bazaars etc...) but never to the Americans. Whatever Hollywood says, goes. And even if Argo doesn't offend Iranians, it's reminds Americans "the way Iran treated American people" THIRTY-FOUR YEARS AGO!

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
Life of pi was even better than Silver linings playbook and Argo and should have won more awards. I also didn't understand the story of silver linings playbook since its so weird in my opinion.

Aug 26, 2005
Now, I've watched a lot of movies...too sad to mention the number, but I just love films. Usually, when I see a great film, something that stands out, I mention it as a 'top 5 film' to people. Not that I have an actual top 5 because the amount of films I have said are top 5 are more than 5. It is a guide to how I rate movies and generally it has to be a bloody good one to rate that high. I've refrained from saying "X is my favourite movie" or "X is the best of all time" because I found it impossible to say that with a straight face or with any surety.

Until now. I have watched the movie "Grave of the Fireflies" recently. For me, this is the greatest movie of all time. It is an incredibly harrowing but beautiful movie. It is based on a true story. It is actually an anime. That is all I want to say about the movie because I want people watching this movie without any pre-conceived notions. I just want to say that I've never cried so hard after a movie in my life. For days after the thought of the movie would give me a heavy heart instantly, and found it hard to breathe. I have watched it again with other family members and I haven't been able to keep my eyes dry even though I know what is going to happen. But everything about this movie is meticulous and beautiful. It is the most beautiful thing you want to watch and avoid at the same time. I honestly think a movie like this should be required viewing for every person. I hope you guys seek it out, if you haven't already, and tell me what you think.

Nov 29, 2002
Interesting, Grave of the Fireflies (and My Neighbours the Yamadas) are the only Ghibli films I still haven't seen. I'm not sure why I haven't seen it, its just passed me by....

One thing about Ghibli films are the unbelievable human nature of them, despite the often fantasy elements.