Picking a Movie for tonight

Jun 26, 2007
The new bond movie (quantum of whatever...) = horrible!

This is NOT what James Bond is supposed to be! Bond is not supposed to be this muscular...Bond is not a LAAT...Bond is suposed to have class, humour, elegance, etc..

Sir Roger, Tim Dalton, even Goerge Lazenby...kojayin ke yadetoon bekhare...

Aug 26, 2005
I recently saw Werner Herzog's "Encounters at the End of the World". Weird and strange documentary as usual from Werner. It is about Antarctica, about the wildlife, the people that work/live there and their peculiarities. Very interesting, definitely worth a watch.

Notably - as I've mentioned in this thread how I love music in movies and what they can do to scenes - there was this underwater scene with the most majestic choir singing in the background as the scientists explored. He was talking about how the experience under water/underneath the ice was cathedral like and it just seemed to enhance that interpretation once this beautiful music started. I cut a clip off and uploaded it for people who'd like to see what I am talking about.

http://depositfiles.com/files/mt9w5qrn9

I went to the trouble of finding who sung this and where I could find it. Took a while but I got the mp3 if anyone is also interested in that.

P.S. I incorrectly named the file Gregorian chants, because I had read a review saying that is what it was. But it isn't. It is this Bulgarian woman's choir.
Found the song on Youtube:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P78isoSOlwM&feature=related"]YouTube - The Mystery Of Bulgarian Voices & Music 12 - Grammy Winner[/ame]

Aug 26, 2005
I just watched Religulous, and it pretty much strengthened what I already believed: that religion is full of doodoo, and that even if it wasn't it's being run by the corrupt - morally, politically and financially. I remember talking with IranZamin about the okay-ness of having a religion, having a faith/hope in something. But since then till now, I've changed my mind drastically. For me, religion has no place in anything anymore. It's a danger to the world. It's a motivator of emotions and severely lacks logic. What's worse is that people deny certain things in their religion, when they can't...and can't even explain it any other way. It just "IS" for them in many respects and that blind faith is more dangerous than the nuclear bomb.

My favourite part was when Bill Maher was talking to that Vatican priest outside Vatican about all the double-standards and silliness of religion...and he was more emphatic about it than Maher. Funnier than Maher too.

I suggest everyone take a gander at this documentary. It's not really profound. It's not visually stunning a la "March of the Penguins", but it's something that raises questions that people don't like asking because most of those questions carry a stupid and averse reply.

I don't wish to insult any religious people here, but I can't in my own good conscience deny what is inane and incomprehensible.

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
I remember talking with IranZamin about the okay-ness of having a religion, having a faith/hope in something. But since then till now, I've changed my mind drastically.
I actually remember that argument.

You can always recognize intellectuals by the fact that their opinions are not static. They're always probing, reflecting and re-evaluating. They're not afraid to modify their views in light of mounting evidence or changes in circumstance. Even when we argued, I never doubted that about you.

Welcome to the Dark Side.;)