Point-and-Shoot: Which one and why?

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
Input appreciated:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012Y6AY8/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=photo"]Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SD1100IS 8MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Brown): Camera & Photo[/ame]

or this one which requires a sony compatible memory card:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011E67BA/ref=gno_cartp_pop"]Amazon.com: Sony Cybershot DSCW120/B 7.2MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom with Super Steady Shot (Black): Camera & Photo[/ame]

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I've always gone with Sony despite the memory-card exclusivity, however, I'm here to recommend the Canon PowerShot.

Sony just can't get their shit together when it comes to stabilization. The slightest shake when pressing the shutter, and bam, your significant others' nose will go Pinocchio.

Canon usually has a better refresh rate on their LCDs and is more forgiving when it comes to camera shake.

I have 7 Sony Cybershots btw :)

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Canon because a) Canon is a brand that specializes in cameras and all that why Sony has 20000 products, which are not always good b) I have good experience with Canon but terrible with Sony

On the other hand...the Sony camera seems to be newer. I just hate Sony cameras.

Oct 18, 2002
Sony just can't get their shit together when it comes to stabilization. The slightest shake when pressing the shutter, and bam, your significant others' nose will go Pinocchio.
That's a plus, actually, when that significant other is screaming:"I am not THAT fat!" or "That's a HORRIBLE picture you took of me!". In such cases your escape lines are typically limited to: "Sorry dear, you know I am not good with photos and stuff", or "Damn useless Camera." I'd rather blame the camera.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
That's a plus, actually, when that significant other is screaming:"I am not THAT fat!" or "That's a HORRIBLE picture you took of me!". In such cases your escape lines are typically limited to: "Sorry dear, you know I am not good with photos and stuff", or "Damn useless Camera." I'd rather blame the camera.
LOL!!!hahah :D

Ali jan,

I usually read previews from http://www.dcresource.com/ and other specilized websites to pick bn diff choices, but Canon have a lot better quality cameras. I used to have a point-shoot 3x optical zoom too and I was able to get fab long-range pics. Their image stabilizer(although its not meant for "Point n shoot" cameras) is a lot better than others. U cant go wrong with Canon or Nikon cameras.

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
Well there is a simple solution for this; you should never use wide angle part of your zoom lens to take picture of loved ones. You have to step couple steps back and use the telephoto to take picture. Wide angel make portrait look wider.

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
Between these two cameras, Canon is a little bit better. Canon has 230,000 LCD pixel vs. Sony 110,000 and both are 2.5 inches. Canon gives you crisper image on the LCD.
With regard to image stabilizer, I do not know which one is better. But both cameras allow you to change the ISO setting from 100 to 1600 (Canon) or 3200 (Sony). At low light you can increase the ISO setting and camera can select higher shutter speed to freeze the action or give you sharper image. With higher ISO there will be more digital noise.
Good luck.

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
When I saw the title of your Thread, I imagined seeing 2 pics of AN and Bush side by side, asking which one to point and shoot, and why?

Amirrr

Bench Warmer
Jun 8, 2005
Toronto
i would say get a Canon..i also have a Canon but mine is an SLR with lenses so its a whole different story but even for a digital camera i would still go with Canon..