Poll: Americans See Iran As Enemy No. 1

Jan 26, 2005
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060224/ap_on_go_ot/us_foreign_poll

WASHINGTON - Iran has replaced Iraq as the country Americans consider to be their greatest enemy, according to a Gallup Poll. Canada and Great Britain were ranked as America's best friends.
The percentage of Americans with a positive view of France and Germany has moved up sharply since 2003, the poll said, when the two allies challenged President Bush's Iraq policy.
Thirty-one percent of Americans gave the nod to Iran as the worst enemy in polling of 1,002 adults between Feb. 6-9.
This represented an increase from 14 percent last year, and appeared to reflect growing American concern over the potential for the Islamic republic to acquire nuclear weapons.
Twenty-two percent listed Iraq as the worst enemy, the same total as a year ago.
Although Iraq has an American-backed government, anti-Americanism in the country is widespread, demonstrated in attacks by insurgents against U.S. troops.
Behind Iran and Iraq was North Korea, with 15 percent saying it was this country's greatest enemy. North Korea is considered by many to be a danger because of its threats to use the nuclear weapons it claims to possess.
The margin of sampling error for the telephone poll was plus or minus 3 percentage points.
The Gallup poll also measured whether people viewed other countries favorably or unfavorably.
Almost nine in 10 viewed Canada as "very favorable" or "mostly favorable," with Great Britain getting about the same rating.
Almost eight in 10 felt that way about Japan and Germany, almost seven in 10 felt that way about Israel, Taiwan, the Philippines, India and Mexico
France has rebounded nicely with a 54 percent favorable rating compared with only 34 percent having a favorable view just before the invasion of Iraq in 2003, which France strongly opposed. Forty percent of Americans now have an unfavorable view of France.
Like France, Germany is held in higher esteem nowadays than it was in 2003 when it joined Paris in the anti-war camp.
Seventy-nine percent of the poll respondents saw Germany in a favorable light, with only 15 percent unfavorable. Only half viewed Germany favorably in 2003.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
There is nothing easier in the world than to come up with a BS poll.

I like to know what was the question they asked and what were the options?

Did they ask people which country they thought was the biggest threat to US and let them name whatever country they wanted?

Or did they give them 4 different options to choose from: Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, or S. Korea? Because if those 4 were the only options I'd probably choose Iran too. LOL

Thirty-one percent of Americans gave the nod to Iran as the worst enemy in polling of 1,002 adults between Feb. 6-9.
1st, the sentence should read: 31% of the 1002 Americans polled and not 31% of Americans in polling of 1002 adults.

2nd, I wouldn't be surprised if they literally asked the following: "if you think Iran is a bigger threat to US compared to Iraq, Afghanistan, or S. Korea nod your head." And then they report that 31% gave their nod to Iran. LOL

3rd, Even 15% of Americans wouldn't be able to point to Iran on the map and wouldn't be able to spontaneously come up with the name without confusing it with Iraq much less 31% spontaneously coming up with the name Iran.

Last edited:

AMirza

IPL Player
Mar 19, 2004
Americans consider the "Government of Iran" - not the Iranian people to be the biggest enemy. As their president said - they consider Iran a hostage of IRI.

Iranians consider IRI to be enemy #1 -
Why shoud'nt the Americans ?

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
I am member in a Motorcycle related Forum and I tell you there are bunch of Rough Neck ppl in there. every time they start talking about Iran I always come with this question:
Beside some famous rhetoric of "Death to AmeriKa..(lool)" and burning of 15000 red white and blue cloth in the streets, what harm Iran has ever done to US? Is there any evidence that Iran was involved in any of the international terrorist attacks. Now ppl might say Iran has been providing all type of means to international terrorism but that has yet to be proved, considering US UK intelligence capabilities, if they could find a slightest related evidence I promise you they would've exposed it on Billboards all over the world.
I agree with Ashtar's respond. These Poll's are meaningless and designed to fill up vacant spaces in the News Media.

Last edited:

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Motori said:
I am member in a Motorcycle related Forum and I tell you there are bunch of Rough Neck ppl in there. every time they start talking about Iran I always come with this question:
Beside some famous rhetoric of "Death to AmeriKa..(lool)" and burning of 15000 red white and blue cloth in the streets, what harm Iran has ever done to US? Is there any evidence that Iran was involved in any of the international terrorist attacks. Now ppl might say Iran has been providing all type of means to international terrorism but that has yet to be proved, considering US UK intelligence capabilities, if they could find a slightest related evidence I promise you they would've exposed it on Billboards all over the world.
I agree with Ashtar's respond. These Poll's are meaningless and designed to fill up vacant spaces in the News Media.
Im not sure if American ppl are smart enough to differentiate bn IR and Iran's nation. However, its not unfair to say IR is a danger to any World power, as IR has great influence in MiddleEast and other fanatics around the world.

Yesterday, I was watching Muslim Indonisians' protest against Danish cartoon(happened Thurs I think) and they had "Khamenei"'s picture up in their protest!!!!! that tells u how much IR spends around the world for their own polit benefit. Now make that 10x, to get the figure for their financial and moral support for Hamas/Hizbollah groups.

AMirza

IPL Player
Mar 19, 2004
Im not sure if American ppl are smart enough to differentiate bn IR and Iran's nation.
Nilu jaan -
As imigrants we seldom interact with the circle of decesion makers in America. For example - How many Americans do we know who have graduated from an IVY league university ? - they are the ones who often end up in the decesion making circles. Unfortunately, most of our day to day contacts is not even with the middle of the road Americans !! And as for the "blue collar" America - not that they are not smart enough - they just are not focused enough to know anything other than what they care about.

When it comes to the upper or even middle class America - they know full well what is going on in Iran. They have no problem distinguishing between us and the mullahs - and they fully understand what Bush Means - when he calls Iranians hostages of IRI.

Feb 22, 2005
Lets take resonsibility, it is easy to get this one.

People of a country make a country and its government and are responsible for it regarldess of it being a dictatorship. So, to the rest of the world, Iranians are a weak arab muslim race who cant even find a way to have a democracy government in the 20th century. And when they had a chance they chose the mulism caveman mentality instead of democracy. I know some will scream hell, we were fooled. Sorry lad, smart people dont get fooled. Dont blame other for not understanding why someone thought a 1400 years caveman rules should be the law of the country.

So, if Iran has a dictatorship IR regime and lives by caveman mulsim mentality, as a whole that is what Iran and Iranians are. At the end of the day, that is how people in the world see us.

No one in the world has respect for loosers or people with caveman mentality. So, dont blame others for wanting to take advantage of it. It is human nature.

And Footbalist, I cannot bellieve some body can actually write what you just wrote: "Who gives a shit what Americans think?" Which planet do you live on?

Until we take responsilbility that we are the cause of our problems and in control of it and stop blaming America and others, we will never progress and would forever be weak and dependent.

Oct 18, 2002
Los LAshkhores, Casifornia
lordofmordor said:
And Footbalist, I cannot bellieve some body can actually write what you just wrote: "Who gives a shit what Americans think?" Which planet do you live on?
Lord, don't take my remark out of context to serve your purpose. Average American gets his/her info mainly from the mainstream media, which is essentially a big brain-washing machine, much like their counterparts in I.R. Iran and many other places. When the U.S. media decides to blow a piece of news out of proportion, they do it relentlessly and to the point of exhaustion. It is during this specific period that the Average Joe forms very strong opinions on the afore-mentioned topic .. without any info aside from what they were fed. What do you think will be the outcome of a poll then? If you asked the same question in 2002, most of the idiots polled would have mentioned France as their enemy no. 1.

And I live in the U.S. .. more than 30 years, that is. You figure out the planet.

Feb 22, 2005
Footballist , i did not mean it as an insult but see the point you were trying to make. Yes, I totally agree about all you said.

I was talking about effect of what average joe's thinking on the American government and therefore the world.

Hezbolahis fail to see American power and like Sadam and his supporters use big words that they dont understand to describe how they are going to beat USA, etc.. They think they will use their soozans to fight F16s.

I misunderstood you, so apology.

Oct 18, 2002
Los LAshkhores, Casifornia
Lord, thanks for being so civil. I also understand what you're saying - I.R.'s gondeh goozi and all. But this particular Administration also has a way of getting under everyone's skin with their own misrepresentations and propaganda.