Polygamy (polygyny) Legality in the west

AliMR

Bench Warmer
Mar 25, 2005
while we are on the subject of incest and homosexuality(!!!), i like to ask the members what they think about polygyny (practice of one man having more than one wife)...

we have stated so far that according to western Humanism and ethics, a consenting adult's choices have to be respected, so long as they do not infringe on anyone else's rights.

So homosexuality is fine in the west, but for some reason incest is not (even if it is between two consenting adults)...now what about polygyny (commonly known as polygamy)...

Should it be illegal? i am seeing it in the news these days alot with the sect from Utah who are polygamists so that raised my interest. i am not talking about marrying to or of an underage kid. i am talking about grown adults, who want to have polygamist relationships.

let's share our thoughts.

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
Please share your thought. Which of the three issues you mentioned above should be legal and why? Which one should not be legal and why not?

Khoshteep

National Team Player
May 11, 2003
Ye rooz inja Ye rooz oonjaa
while we are at it lets disguss polygamy as for women to have more than one husband, how would that work? Islam allows multiple wives why not husbands?

moreover, since Islam allows polygamy, should it allow homosexuals too

oh also does islam allow women to get child husbands as it allows the same to get child wives?

what age could then such women start at? since women can be as young as 9, whats the youngest for boys?

Also on the subject of sex change, if a man applies for a sex change as is sanctioned by Khomeini, and while getting certification from the designated molla, should he divulge the fact that he had homosexual relations, should he then be put in a bag and tossed from a hill as is the punishment for such behavior, or should they just let it slide since he is turning his shoombool to a choochool?

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
the only thing that matters is people dont want it to be legal so its not. When a group of people can convince the majority of people it is fine or they no longer see it as immoral or harmful, then it will be legal, simple as that.

You think it should be legal, you can put together a group that supports this

You think it should be illegal, same thing.

There is no ABSOLUTE FREEDOM anywhere on this earth.

this is my first and last post in this thread.

AliMR

Bench Warmer
Mar 25, 2005
while we are at it lets disguss polygamy as for women to have more than one husband, how would that work? Islam allows multiple wives why not husbands?

moreover, since Islam allows polygamy, should it allow homosexuals too

oh also does islam allow women to get child husbands as it allows the same to get child wives?

what age could then such women start at? since women can be as young as 9, whats the youngest for boys?

Also on the subject of sex change, if a man applies for a sex change as is sanctioned by Khomeini, and while getting certification from the designated molla, should he divulge the fact that he had homosexual relations, should he then be put in a bag and tossed from a hill as is the punishment for such behavior, or should they just let it slide since he is turning his shoombool to a choochool?
look at you. how spiteful.

first of all, we are not discussing islam... you know full well what islam stands on this. i am not discussing islam because i want to discuss the west. i am not going to give you the satisfaction on this thread to derail the subject yet again...

*and for the 900th time, khomeini or iri or marja taghlid doesnt mean anything to me. and for the billionth time in regards to your "9 year old" reference, the oldest record of aisha's age was reported by ibn ishaq and according to him she was 17 and already engaged to be married to someone else before she married the prophet (s) so she was old enough per arab culture at the time.

now if you have nothing to offer to the subject of the thread, kindly refrain from ruining it with your hateful, spiteful, and irrelevant comments.

if you have something to say about polygamy please share it with us in the context of the western "personal freedoms"... thanks.

AliMR

Bench Warmer
Mar 25, 2005
Please share your thought. Which of the three issues you mentioned above should be legal and why? Which one should not be legal and why not?
javeed jan,
if we are talking about the highly regarded "western" value of "freedom of choice" i say polygamy in all its forms (one man multiple wives, or one woman multiple husbands) should be allowed. this would be more consistent with the slogan of "freedom of personal choice" that we hear from the West and its proponents.

thats my take looking at it from an objective point of view. please share your thoughts. thanks.

AliMR

Bench Warmer
Mar 25, 2005
the only thing that matters is people dont want it to be legal so its not. When a group of people can convince the majority of people it is fine or they no longer see it as immoral or harmful, then it will be legal, simple as that.

You think it should be legal, you can put together a group that supports this

You think it should be illegal, same thing.

this is my first and last post in this thread.
well logically speaking anything that doesn't infringe on other peoples rights should be legal (to be consistent with what we hear from the west)... the fact that some people "dont want it to be legal" doesnt make it right... if thats the case, "some people in iran think gays should be hanged" so that makes it right?

i am going to try to say it simple: if what the majority decides, infringes on the rights of a minority, than the minority group's right is taken away and that is an injustice.

and you didnt share you thoughts, you tried to explain "why its illegal" while my question was " Should it be illegal?"

AliMR

Bench Warmer
Mar 25, 2005
Are you saying the non shia muslims do not marry underage child brides?
again, we are not talking about shia, sunni, islam or anything about religion. i am asking your view on whether polygamy should be illegal in the west, when its not consistent with the slogan of "freedom of personal choice"

thanks,

AliMR

Bench Warmer
Mar 25, 2005
as far as polygamy is concerned please give me your thoughts on women having the right to have more than one husband (anywhere, east, west, north, south) should the same right be forwarded to them?
from a "western" point of view, yes woman should be able to have a 10000 husbands if the wish, as long as they are not infringing on anyones rights.

now share your thoughts on whether it should be illegal.

AliMR

Bench Warmer
Mar 25, 2005
btw what was spiteful about my original post?

those were honest questions, you brought up homosexuality, I like to know of your input about the sex change as granted by some muslim clerics and consequent of such
azizam shoma harchi post mikoni, is directed against islam. even if the thread is not about islam at all.. baba lets be reasonable. i am asking about western values not about islam or religion or anything else.

you go into asking about "sex change fatwa by moslim clerics"... are we talkin about islam in this thread? did i ask about islam? did i even mention religion? why do you stuck religion in everything and mix it with anything?!

aslan midooni chie? shoma eslamo bezar kenar... aslan inja eslaami vojood nadare.. khob? rahat shodi? lets discuss it from the humanism (humanistic) point of view that west is the champion of!

why should polygamy be illegal when these people are not hurting anyone??

Khoshteep

National Team Player
May 11, 2003
again, we are not talking about shia, sunni, islam or anything about religion. i am asking your view on whether polygamy should be illegal in the west, when its not consistent with the slogan of "freedom of personal choice"

thanks,
But doesnt relligion plays a part in this? some allow it you know. btw how about you sharing your thoughts on the subject, rather than dance around on the issue just let us know and while at it enlighten us of your take on the child bride issue

thanks

AliMR

Bench Warmer
Mar 25, 2005
But doesnt relligion plays a part in this? some allow it you know. btw how about you sharing your thoughts on the subject, rather than dance around on the issue just let us know and while at it enlighten us of your take on the child bride issue

thanks
No it doesnt. i am leaving my religious beliefs out of this thread and trying to apply the same standards that west champions to its society and culture. rest of your argument is based on the assumption that religion plays a part here, which is a false assumption therefore it doesnt warrant a response.

aziz, after 4-5 posts you still have not shared your thoughts on why (or whether) it should be illegal as it is.

Khoshteep

National Team Player
May 11, 2003
azizam shoma harchi post mikoni, is directed against islam. even if the thread is not about islam at all.. baba lets be reasonable. i am asking about western values not about islam or religion or anything else.

you go into asking about "sex change fatwa by moslim clerics"... are we talkin about islam in this thread? did i ask about islam? did i even mention religion? why do you stuck religion in everything and mix it with anything?!

aslan midooni chie? shoma eslamo bezar kenar... aslan inja eslaami vojood nadare.. khob? rahat shodi? lets discuss it from the humanism (humanistic) point of view that west is the champion of!

why should polygamy be illegal when these people are not hurting anyone??
ok how about child bride anywhere? should such practice be condemned and punished?

btw who said I am against Islam? I am Seyyed with a valid full proof shajaareh naameh dating back to Emam Hossein himself, astaghforellah, kofr nagoo, sang mishiaa

Khoshteep

National Team Player
May 11, 2003
No it doesnt. i am leaving my religious beliefs out of this thread and trying to apply the same standards that west champions to its society and culture. rest of your argument is based on the assumption that religion plays a part here, which is a false assumption therefore it doesnt warrant a response.

aziz, after 4-5 posts you still have not shared your thoughts on why (or whether) it should be illegal as it is.

I am getting there, patience, patience

But relligion DOES play a part, especially in the western world as it is in the eastern world

Lover

Bench Warmer
Apr 11, 2008
Toronto
Sexual monogamy is UNNATURAL. It is emotional monogamy that is most possible....but I know for a fact that I love 2 girls EQUALLY to death! So I don't see how this would be natural to be monogamous!

AliMR

Bench Warmer
Mar 25, 2005
I am getting there, patience, patience

But relligion DOES play a part, especially in the western world as it is in the eastern world
not in humanism and not if you subscribe to the "you are free to do it, as long as you dont infringe on my rights" motto. a friend of ours said earlier int he other thread that in the west "your rights stop, where my rights begin". so being in a polygamist relationship should be absolutely fine since they aren't curbing anybody's rights. why should polygamy be illegal in the west? i mean a man can have multiple sex partners and thats fine, but he cant marry them,even if they are all willing adults?

makes no sense.

AliMR

Bench Warmer
Mar 25, 2005
Sexual monogamy is UNNATURAL. It is emotional monogamy that is most possible....but I know for a fact that I love 2 girls EQUALLY to death! So I don't see how this would be natural to be monogamous!
whether its natural or unnatural is not the subject of our argument here. please re-read the original post.

"in the west "your rights stop, where my rights begin". so being in a polygamist relationship should be absolutely fine since they aren't curbing anybody's rights. why should polygamy be illegal in the west? i mean a man can have multiple sex partners and thats fine, but he cant marry them,even if they are all willing adults?"