President Obama Uncle Sam or Uncle Tom - Ralph Nader

Aug 26, 2005
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IshiClQqCM"]YouTube - President Obama Uncle Sam or Uncle Tom- Ralph Nader[/ame]

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I had seen that. I think he proved his irrelevance when he ran once again in 2004.
Algore being such a big enviornmentalist is kind of making him look like dumb ass too.
some people just don't understand it that they must step out of the spotlight to save their own reputation.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
no..of course not...he asked whether he would be/going to be an Uncle Tom...which makes a big fucking difference.
i wonder why he didn't say ...."or is he going to be a house negroe"...wouldn't have mattered either.

Aug 26, 2005
He asked whether he is going to be an Uncle Sam and help the people or an Uncle Tom and help the corporations.

Your reaction is precisely why I posted this. A litmus test, if you will.

Last edited:

Pey_man

Bench Warmer
Dec 21, 2004
I attended one of his talks a few years ago, and I must say he is a very brilliant person and lots of people respect him a lot, even though they may not chose to vote for him. He knows he won't become the president. The president will always be a republican or a a democrat, but why should he shut up and not say what he thinks is right? it's not his fault that most people are so influenced by the two parties that they cannot listen to a third voice. His doing his job, people should wake up.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
He asked whether he is going to be an Uncle Sam and help the people or an Uncle Tom and help the corporations.

Your reaction is precisely why I posted this. A litmus test, if you will.
Yeah...now THAT makes a whole lot of diffence.

But as said, I'm still wondering why he didn't ask whether he will be a house nigger. That would have been much more apropriate and there's not much difference between Uncle Tom and house nigger.

Aug 26, 2005
Yeah...now THAT makes a whole lot of diffence.

But as said, I'm still wondering why he didn't ask whether he will be a house nigger. That would have been much more apropriate and there's not much difference between Uncle Tom and house nigger.
Do you know what "Uncle Tom" means? It is a pejorative term, but it isn't a term meant to demean the race of the person in question. It is actually a term meant to demean the person in question for betraying their race. The label "Uncle Tom" can also be used for people who aren't black.

Furthermore, Nader's question is more metaphorical - in that it encompasses all American people. The fact that Obama is black makes the question even more illuminating because of the roots of where the term "Uncle Tom" came from. Think of it like a smart rap lyric that can be read in more than one way.

Your reaction is a testament to someone misunderstanding what it means and going with the political correctness being sludged on by the reporter - who is, funny enough, a Fox news reporter.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
Do you know what "Uncle Tom" means? It is a pejorative term, but it isn't a term meant to demean the race of the person in question. It is actually a term meant to demean the person in question for betraying their race. The label "Uncle Tom" can also be used for people who aren't black.

Furthermore, Nader's question is more metaphorical - in that it encompasses all American people. The fact that Obama is black makes the question even more illuminating because of the roots of where the term "Uncle Tom" came from. Think of it like a smart rap lyric that can be read in more than one way.

Your reaction is a testament to someone misunderstanding what it means and going with the political correctness being sludged on by the reporter - who is, funny enough, a Fox news reporter.
Yeah..it was a misunderstanding. Nader meant it metaphorical. Alright...it's all good.

Here's a challenge for you and Nader...go to a black person and call him House nigger or Uncle Tom and then say you meant it metaphorically. Thank you!

He couldn't have said sell out of course, he had to use Uncle Tom to make his point, which is not a racial slur...of course not..why would it be?

Last edited:

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
The sad thing is how many people are hoping that things turn, or should I say remain, ugly with the new administration just so they can claim they saw this coming with Obama. Some are just pathetic.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2005
Yeah..it was a misunderstanding. Nader meant it metaphorical. Alright...it's all good.
You don't seem to understand. Even if he meant it literally there is no problem. The fact IS he meant it metaphorically because he was talking about ALL the Americans that voted for him and ALL of them being betrayed. If his only voters were blacks he'd never get in to the white house. 1+1=2.

Here's a challenge for you and Nader...go to a black person and call him House nigger or Uncle Tom and then say you meant it metaphorically. Thank you!
House Nigger is what blacks call each other or racists use a word like "Nigger" to demean the blacks. What you're saying is akin to telling me "Why did you call him a 'black man' just call him a 'nigger'". Just because blacks themselves interchange the word doesn't mean I should and doesn't make me racist for calling someone a black man.

He couldn't have said sell out of course, he had to use Uncle Tom to make his point, which is not a racial slur...of course not..why would it be?
Do you know what Uncle Tom means? As I said, it does not demean the race of the person but the person for betraying their race. It is not an insult meant to demean the race. The fact that you don't get this shows you do not know, once again, what you are talking about.

Uncle Tom is a pejorative for a black person who is perceived by others as behaving in a subservient manner to White American authority figures, or as seeking ingratiation with them by way of unnecessary accommodation.

A person CAN be an Uncle Tom, like Obama if he betrays the people he voted for at the behest of the corporations - Nader's point. He should have said sell out instead? Why? So people who don't know what he means won't take it the wrong way? Maybe. I think people have a responsibility to be half-intelligent though and figure out his intent.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2005
The sad thing is how many people are hoping that things turn, or should I say remain, ugly with the new administration just so they can claim they saw this coming with Obama. Some are just pathetic.
It's sad. But this will be the story of Barack's Presidency IMO. One side too eager to bring him down and his supporters who will always keep him up. One day, his supporters will illogically support something and that will make them no better than the Bush supporters - if that hasn't already happened in some instances.

It's going to be interesting to see how CNN et all report things and how Fox reports things from now on. A role-reversal, if you will.

Last edited: