Problem with Satellite Receiver

Shahin2000

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
Guys,

I would appreciate if you can help... My parents have a satellite receiver to watch the Iranian channels.. The receiver is Omega Sat DSB5700... This receiver works fine with their regular non HD TV. However, when we hook it up to a new HD TV (via, red/yellow/white cables or coaxial cable) the video output is black and white. The output is no longer in color. We thought it could be the TV, however, we took the TV back and in fact tried it on 2 other TVs. We took our box to Best Buy and they could figure out the problem. I am thinking it could be because perhaps receiver's signal is analog and it does not get transferred correctly to these HD TVs. Someone mentioned that I need a QAM tuner or a TV with a QAM tuner built in. Lastly, the guys in best buy tried it with component cables, and S-video cables and got the same results.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Bijans

Legionnaire
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
If you are getting black and white I believe you are using a non-HD cable. If you want to look at HD, you cannot watch it on white/yellow/red cable. ( the yellow cable can only transmitt data up to 480i quality which is DVD quality). You have to connect your receiver via "Component" cable which is a blue/green/Red (Video only) but you need to have your red/white cable connected as well to get audio.

Just search on google on component. I am assuming your receiver doesn't have an HDMI output because if it did you only need one cable to see both HD video and Audio.

Shahin2000

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
If you are getting black and white I believe you are using a non-HD cable. If you want to look at HD, you cannot watch it on white/yellow/red cable. ( the yellow cable can only transmitt data up to 480i quality which is DVD quality). You have to connect your receiver via "Component" cable which is a blue/green/Red (Video only) but you need to have your red/white cable connected as well to get audio.

Just search on google on component. I am assuming your receiver doesn't have an HDMI output because if it did you only need one cable to see both HD video and Audio.
Bijan jaan, thank you for the reply. The problem is, the receiver was tested with a component cable in Best Buy and on the TV screen it said invalid format or something to that effect.

Apr 30, 2003
I have connected my Samsung receiver(very old one) through yellow/red/white cable to yellow/red/white input of my SONY LCD (HD) TV and it works. Do you connect the cable to the composite input(Y/R/W) of your HD TV? I was gonna say that may be your receiver setting is on PAL instead of NTSC but you said it works fine on your on HD TV. I cannot think of anything else. It should work but I cannot think of a reason why it does not.

Shahin2000

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
I have connected my Samsung receiver(very old one) through yellow/red/white cable to yellow/red/white input of my SONY LCD (HD) TV and it works. Do you connect the cable to the composite input(Y/R/W) of your HD TV? I was gonna say that may be your receiver setting is on PAL instead of NTSC but you said it works fine on your on HD TV. I cannot think of anything else. It should work but I cannot think of a reason why it does not.
The receiver works ok with a NON HD TV. My issue is that the picture turns black and white while connecting it to an HD TV.

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
The receiver works ok with a NON HD TV. My issue is that the picture turns black and white while connecting it to an HD TV.
your problem isnt the cable. the composit cable yellow white red should do fine. the HD cable isnt going to do u any good because the sat reciever itself is not HD.

your issue is the video system output from your sat recuever to your tv. go in your sat settings and change between PAL NTSC SECAM settings. do the same on your tv even though most new tbs have automode for that.

Go to the settings menu in your sat reciever. under the MEDIA SETTINGS, play around with TV SYSTEM and VIDEO SIGNAL TYPE options.
Im sure it'll fix the problem for you
:)

Last edited:

Shahin2000

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
your problem isnt the cable. the composit cable yellow white red should do fine. the HD cable isnt going to do u any good because the sat reciever itself is not HD.

your issue is the video system output from your sat recuever to your tv. go in your sat settings and change between PAL NTSC SECAM settings. do the same on your tv even though most new tbs have automode for that.

Go to the settings menu in your sat reciever. under the MEDIA SETTINGS, play around with TV SYSTEM and VIDEO SIGNAL TYPE options.
Im sure it'll fix the problem for you
:)
Thank you very much Toofan jaan... I am going to try that now. I have to take my receiver to one of these stores and see if that works. Thanks again for the input guys.

Shahin2000

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
Toofan jaan and others... thank you so much for your help. It was the receiver settings. I changed it to NTSC and works like a charm. Thanks again for all your help.

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
Shahin2000 jaan;
I hope your problem is solved (if it is please tell us what it was)? but just in case....

I know the new TVs dont have to be adjusted but it sounds to me that the receiver is giving PAL signals (for European TVs) to the TV which as I said should be no problem but assuming you are in USA and the signal here is NTSC, please check that by checking the receiver's menu.

Also check the RGB cables (red green blue) sometimes a bad connection or a cut inside of the cable can cause problems like this.
If using coax then I think you switch the TV to channel 3 or 4 but you get lower quality picture then.

anyway Good Luck!

gee sorry I have a problem of my own,. I did not see the post above? I am having all sorts of problem with FireFox 10.0.2 ? One is that it doesnt load all of the page? Only the 2nd time after I posted this it refreshed and I was able to read your last post..
but I am glad I was right about ntsc thing...
anyway I am going to post a new thread about firefox...