Queiroz selects the roster for the Maldives game

peyz

Bench Warmer
Oct 11, 2004
Queiroz selects the roster for the Maldives game

http://directkicks.blogspot.com/2011/06/queiroz-selects-roster-for-maldives.html

The new Team Melli coach, Carlos Queiroz has announced his latest roster of players for an Austrian camp in Loipersdorf, prior to the Maldives game and I must say the list has a lot of talking points.Lets have a look;

GOALKEEPERS –
Rahmati, Gordan, Haghighi, Memarzadeh

I believe these are among the best we have to offer in Iran, with inclusion of Esteghlal’s Mohamadi of course. So, no arguments here.

DEFENDERS –
Mahini, Aghili, Nosrati, J. Hosseini, Heidari, Montazeri, Hajsafi and Pouladi(?)

First off, I am very disappointed to see one of Iran’s best defenders, Farshid Talebi’s name missing. Given his recent performances, I thought his name would have been the first on anyone’s list. The next point is Pouladi's name listed under defenders. He has hardly been used as a defender in our youth national teams or his clubs. At the same time I must say this list is missing the league’s top scoring defender M. Hosseini of Zob Ahan who scored 12 goals in the league itself. But I am happy to see H. Mahini get his well-deserved shot.

Another point of interest is the drop of Hamoudi, Foolad’s energetic right back’s name from the list which may be related to his silly actions in Hazfi semifinals where he committed two fouls within the first 20 minutes, thus handicapping his team for the remaining 70 minutes. At this level of football, having experienced international competition, you just don’t do such silly things.

MIDFIELDERS –
P. Noori, Hadadifar, Mobaali, Teymourian, Seifi, Karimi, Zareh, Zeniedpour, Baou, Ghazi, Aliasgar, Afshin

And here’s where I’m sure a lot of people will be focusing on. No doubt most of these names are worthy of playing in Team Melli. Among those missing in the list are players just about any team would love to have in their starting line up. To name a few; Jabbari, Md. Nouri, Jamshidian, Mosalman even Foolad’s Bakhtiar Rahmani. But with the abundance of capable midfielders in Iran, I understand it is a rather hard task to choose a limited number of them at any given time.

I assume Nekounam’s name is not included due to scheduling matters and frankly I agree it is not necessary to drag him for a game against Maldives.

STRIKERS –
H. Nowroozi, R. Nowroozi, Khalatbari, Ansarifard, Oladi and Daghighi

Pretty good line up of strikers, methinks. And with the return of injured Gh. Rezaei and Meydavoudi I think we’ll have a very enviable line up of forwards.

It must be mentioned that I believe the actual roster of selected players by Quieroz is larger than this which include many of the names not included at this point of time and perhaps fatigue and minor injuries of some players, especially those in teams that represented Iran in Asia may be a factor. So there's hope to see those left out given a fair trial and test at a later date.

The roster represents all the aspects of our football. It has physical players, highly technical players with great ball skills, creative ones, speed & pace as well as wide players to provide the width. This leaves Queiroz’s hands open in employing different formations and tactics. Now, all that’s left is to actually see his end product.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2003
Thank you Peyz for posting it. I agree with all of your comments. I like to add few things to it. I would rather Have Mohamadi added so we have 1 young (Ghordan-Hagighi) and 2 experienced (Rahmati-Mohamadi) but over all not much of a dispute. As for pooladi only palce I can think of in defense is left back, although I never seen him playing defender anywhere. He has powerful shots, he is young and energetic and I say he would be a good player for future. So i think it is a good choice. Maybe because of shortage of left back or might be a mistake by papers.

One thing does not go to my head and I do not accept any arguments as I have made of my mind, without the doubt Jabari MUST have been invited. Who do we have a play-maker like him in Iran? Agree about Nouri from PP. As for Maziar Zareh, no thank you. I have not seen Daghigi, only seen him playing twice, but I would have invited Borhani considering his age and being the best scorer in ESES and not playing many games. I also do not accept any one argument regarding age, as we have a good number of players that might not be useful in 4 years time. I am happy he invited youngsters like Hagighi, Ali Asghari, Montazeri, Gordan. Now what is he deal with Zenayedpoor? did he look at it him this season?

Yes Shojaie, Maydavoodi and Rezaie I am sure will be invited once they recover from injury.

Any one any opinion on Baau?
something we can discuss I guess who deserved to be here and is not and who should not be here and he is.

The only strong argument I have is Jabari, he should be in. Also Farshid Talebi, Borhani, Noori and Hosseini of Zobahan.

I want Maziar Zareh, Zenayadpoor and Baou out.

Last edited:

peyz

Bench Warmer
Oct 11, 2004
playmakers?
both Hadaifar and Mobaali could take care of the job. especially hadadifar who's shown great skills in passing and vision, not to mention shooting abilities.

Apr 10, 2003
playmakers?
both Hadaifar and Mobaali could take care of the job. especially hadadifar who's shown great skills in passing and vision, not to mention shooting abilities.
Even with these 2, Jabari is missing. Realistically as much as I love Iman, how many times Iman Mobali this season shown his play-making abilities? Jabari is a player that can make a difference. He was very unlucky with injuries. Now he is back with full force. I think he could have squeezed him in at least for 30 invited and then cross him off. But Haddadi -far was truly wasted in Asian cups, Ghotbi not using him. Is he 27 or 30? Finally would he use these 2 as subs again?

Last edited:

peyz

Bench Warmer
Oct 11, 2004
Iman's game and style has changed. while he was quite adept at feeding and playmaking in close spaces and short passes, nowadays he concentrates on long, diagonal and through passing more than short ones. however, his vision is as immaculate as ever as he spots runs all over the field.
I guess this is what sets him apart from jabbari and even hadadifar

peyz

Bench Warmer
Oct 11, 2004
I think he is most probably in CQ's larger list (of about 30-40 players) pending a confirmation from dejagah himself, I presume

javid

Ball Boy
Oct 18, 2002
No matter what, even if you bring god as our coach, he will still choose these players. This is what we have? This is our "bezAat", Daei had the same roster, Ghotbi, the same and now CQ. (with a few minor changes)

What I am interested, is how CQ puts the same guys to use? That could be the difference! It is not going to be technical, because you cannot change these players technics at this point, in my opinion is going to be stamina and physical strength. Something that Ivic did with our boys in 98. What do you think?

peyz

Bench Warmer
Oct 11, 2004
^ exactly.
all the recent coaches had the same roster to pick from (give or take a couple of names). but the difference is HOW they use these players, what tasks they ask of them, and what duties they demand from the players.
and here is where the coach's abilities and talent is exposed and shown

peyz

Bench Warmer
Oct 11, 2004
high time CQ got to know his players up close and personal.
the sooner he becomes familiar with them and they with his tactics, the better for TM