Question for anyone who is studying law in Australia/Melb.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
Just had a couple of questions.

Basically wanted to see if anyone, preferably a graduate has tried going outside of Australia for work? Mainly Singapore, Dubai, Hong Kong or Malaysia. I know Singapore is very strict.

I am currently in my last year, and have been at a respectable private firm for my internship for the past year (i could stay here once i graduate). But i am really curious to see what the situation would be for someone with an Australian law degree going to Dubai or Hong Kong.

Last year i actually applied through my uni in hope to facilitate an exchange for 2 semesters to USA but due to lack of funds the program was cancelled completely. One of my closest mates also graduated 2 years ago, and began working in Melbourne with Minter Ellison and even had a interview with one of its offices in Hong Kong, financially it is much better over there then what it is in Melbourne from what i hear. Needless to say he has his mind set on Dubai, he has even been learning arabic for the past 2-3 years now and is quite fluent.

I think in terms of salary it is worth it going and working overseas, even if it is only for a 5-6 year period after graduation. If i am correct, haven't checked for a while Sydney leads the way in grad salaries, followed closely by Perth & Melbourne.

Anyone with experience working outside of Australia or know anyone who has?

Aug 26, 2005
I haven't gone overseas but from a lot of the job sites I looked they want lawyers with several years experience at good firms. So I don't think a graduate can get them, but you can check; you never know.

From what I have also heard from good sources is that Dubai, in particular, is not really a hiring place as their economy has turned to shit. Was definitely a good place a few years ago.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
I haven't gone overseas but from a lot of the job sites I looked they want lawyers with several years experience at good firms. So I don't think a graduate can get them, but you can check; you never know.

From what I have also heard from good sources is that Dubai, in particular, is not really a hiring place as their economy has turned to shit. Was definitely a good place a few years ago.
Yeah, most of them are very adamant on experience. But i also realised it came down to certain fields, a few years ago i know that a handful of Melbourne Uni graduates went straight to Asia following their graduation for work. I haven't heard much since then though, hence my curiousity. Where about's are you living now? And are you currently studying/or graduated?

Aug 26, 2005
Yeah, most of them are very adamant on experience. But i also realised it came down to certain fields, a few years ago i know that a handful of Melbourne Uni graduates went straight to Asia following their graduation for work. I haven't heard much since then though, hence my curiousity. Where about's are you living now? And are you currently studying/or graduated?
I'm in Perth. I've graduated. But I am 50-50 right now on going the traditional lawyer route. I am working in migration. It is very lucrative if you can get a good client base and expand your services.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
I am working in migration.
That's one of my favourite fields, next to public. I am actually helping a lot of clients, Persians to be exact here with their visas. The firm i am with right now i am familiarising myself further with the migration side of things. There is such a huge client base to be created specially if you are a good Persian migration lawyer, the influx of Persians to Australia and specially Melbourne this past 1-2 years has been insane. And nearly all of them want to deal only with a Persian lawyer.

But even in general it is an extremely lucrative pathway.

Aug 26, 2005
Yep. Guys like us right now, especially because of our ethnicity and expertise, are making a lot of money in migration. My boss made about a million dollars on one type of visa alone last year and he isn't even Persian. They're making it harder though, laws and regulations are making it more restricted and expensive.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
Yep. Guys like us right now, especially because of our ethnicity and expertise, are making a lot of money in migration. My boss made about a million dollars on one type of visa alone last year and he isn't even Persian. They're making it harder though, laws and regulations are making it more restricted and expensive.
Thats incredible!, (was it the new 888 visa?). Just messing around, probably wouldn't of been the 888. How many of those do you guys get to do each year though? Yeah, their tightening the grip quite a bit. Even so, there is so many ways around it i think that whatever they do people will still find their way in. Specially the ones with financial power. The new laws and regulations will only hurt the ones in the lower income brackets in my opinion, specially families coming from non refugee statuses.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2005
No, the 457 visa. It hurts businesses too as they're making it more onerous to bring someone.

Nov 29, 2002
Agha, small question but why didn't you just PM Kaz?

You two are the only Aussie regular members left on this forum I think (where did sporthead go?) and certainly Kaz is the only Aussie lawyer, lol...

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne

You two are the only Aussie regular members left on this forum I think (where did sporthead go?) and certainly Kaz is the only Aussie lawyer, lol...
I very rarely come to the general forum, so i didn't know how many Aussie members we have here. I did not even know Kaz was a law graduate to be honest. Now that i know, ill PM him next time, all good.

AFRIRAN

IPL Player
Jun 8, 2010

Daash Dr. 100% disagree , found their conversation very informative ,usually no one goes to such detail here ,many people including me are interested to know more about Aussie under skin.

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
I enjoyed reading your conversation too.

One question, How easy is to get Aussie immigration if you are Canadian Citizen. Friend of mine wants to move permanently out of frozen Canada to Australia.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
I enjoyed reading your conversation too.

One question, How easy is to get Aussie immigration if you are Canadian Citizen. Friend of mine wants to move permanently out of frozen Canada to Australia.
Well, there are easier ways then others. Depends if your friend has a degree that falls into the category of the Australian skilled scheme, in which the easiest way would be finding a work place willing to sponsor him for 2 years, then after that apply for residency. He could come to Australia on a working holiday visa, see how he likes it, work for a bit and try to find a place willing to sponsor him. Holiday visa > Sponsored visa > Permanent visa, step by step, but again that falls into a skilled category, so it cant be any job.

Or if he has the financial capacity he could come to Australia on a business visa, and gain permanent status by showing he wants to invest in Australia. Like many Iranians recently who have migrated to Melbourne, all come here and open up a little choleh kababi place. I can safely say that we have had at least 10-15 new Persian restaurants, shirini shops, milk bars or just grocery shops opened up that i know of in the past 12-18 months, of course he will need $$$ for this kind of visa.

Obviously this is very general and brief on how he could gain permanent status in Australia going down various pathways that i know of, but i am sure Kaz would know more seeing he is currently working in the field.

Hope it helped

Last edited: