Question regarding webforms and databases

Nitrik

Ball Boy
Dec 21, 2007
I want to ask those of you with programming background about web forms. I would like to know which concepts and languages do I need to learn if I were to create a web form (let's say for a survey) and collect in a database? I would like to know how to connect form inputs to a database. I don't have an efficient progamming background so I would appreciate if you could help me out. Cheers!

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
I want to ask those of you with programming background about web forms. I would like to know which concepts and languages do I need to learn if I were to create a web form (let's say for a survey) and collect in a database? I would like to know how to connect form inputs to a database. I don't have an efficient progamming background so I would appreciate if you could help me out. Cheers!
well it really depends on your environemnet, you can do that with PHP or ASP
ASP is easier to develop for thanks to Visual Studio BUT will only run on windows host so it really up to your environment, you can create a web form in under 1 hour in Visual Studio.

Nitrik

Ball Boy
Dec 21, 2007
well it really depends on your environemnet, you can do that with PHP or ASP
ASP is easier to develop for thanks to Visual Studio BUT will only run on windows host so it really up to your environment, you can create a web form in under 1 hour in Visual Studio.
Oh! Thanks. So here is the deal. I need to get familiar with the basics of creating webforms for this job I applied for. I was under the impression that I had to learn html webforms and SQL? So is there an easier way to learn creating webforms and maintaining databases working windows?

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Oh! Thanks. So here is the deal. I need to get familiar with the basics of creating webforms for this job I applied for. I was under the impression that I had to learn html webforms and SQL? So is there an easier way to learn creating webforms and maintaining databases working windows?
when you say maintaining databases what exactly are we talking here? how many tables? how many relationships, what is ur role? r u DBA ?
i personally love working with databases they can be SUPER simple or super complicated, but if u making 1 DB to hold your survey results that falls under super easy, do you have some basic knowledge of SQL language?

if you need basic skills i highly recommend this http://www.w3schools.com/

also get your hand on Visual Studio , its fun and you can be creative start playing with it.

Nitrik

Ball Boy
Dec 21, 2007
when you say maintaining databases what exactly are we talking here? how many tables? how many relationships, what is ur role? r u DBA ?
i personally love working with databases they can be SUPER simple or super complicated, but if u making 1 DB to hold your survey results that falls under super easy, do you have some basic knowledge of SQL language?

if you need basic skills i highly recommend this http://www.w3schools.com/

also get your hand on Visual Studio , its fun and you can be creative start playing with it.
Great! OK let me give you an example of what I may need to know as an example! Let's say we are taking online surveys from 30 people. Options and questions are created as a web form. Now we need to save those results such as name, age, sex and other questions in a database. The database should be so that we can come back and retrieve information (like queries) from it. So what's the simplest way to learn the basics?

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
You need to learn database fundamentals. It's not just a loose term. It's a series of lessons offered by many institutions both "instructor-led" and also "online".

Creating webforms is probably the easiest concept of database management and data retrieval. It can be done in many languages of which "ASP.NET" and "PHP" are the most popular ones.

ASP.NET is not really a language. It's a software solution which translates compiled C# or Visual Basic code into HTML.

In general, the following 3 items are the essentials of landing a half-decent job in software:

1. Knowledge of Database fundamentals and Logic
2. Advanced knowledge of a programming language (any modern language)
3. Advanced knowledge of a database engine (any of them)

Once you have the 3 above, learning the other ones becomes a constant habit which you can never stop and could never really keep up with.

Nitrik

Ball Boy
Dec 21, 2007
You need to learn database fundamentals. It's not just a loose term. It's a series of lessons offered by many institutions both "instructor-led" and also "online".

Creating webforms is probably the easiest concept of database management and data retrieval. It can be done in many languages of which "ASP.NET" and "PHP" are the most popular ones.

ASP.NET is not really a language. It's a software solution which translates compiled C# or Visual Basic code into HTML.

In general, the following 3 items are the essentials of landing a half-decent job in software:

1. Knowledge of Database fundamentals and Logic
2. Advanced knowledge of a programming language (any modern language)
3. Advanced knowledge of a database engine (any of them)

Once you have the 3 above, learning the other ones becomes a constant habit which you can never stop and could never really keep up with.
Thanks BT! Can you give me a few examples of database engines?

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
SQL is the syntax framework for many DB software engines like:

Microsoft SQL Server
MySQL (a free/open source SQL engine now owned by Oracle/Sun)
Oracle
JET

Other popular databases are
Lotus Notes
DB2

Believe it or not MySQL (a free open-source database with no official support) is the most popular database for internet applications. Interestingly enough, Microsoft was pretty much forced to offer their SQL server in "Express" form as a freebie due to MySQL's popularity.

Arian

Elite Member
Oct 28, 2004
Seattle
if you only require quick webforms, then I suggest you learn Ruby On Rails.

Your first ever application will be built under 15 minutes, guaranteed!

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Great! OK let me give you an example of what I may need to know as an example! Let's say we are taking online surveys from 30 people. Options and questions are created as a web form. Now we need to save those results such as name, age, sex and other questions in a database. The database should be so that we can come back and retrieve information (like queries) from it. So what's the simplest way to learn the basics?
w3schools will teach you basic SQL query but as BT mentioned you need to go to class really if you want to learn anything more. SQL is fairly easy language because its very easy to read, very much like english

select * from users
= select all columns from table users ! u see so easy to read but having said that once you get into relationships and inner join, outer join stuff like that it gets complicated anyway to start what u want

1-) learn basic SQL language
2-) know what hosting u got (to decide between ASP or PHP)
3-) start playing !!!!

i never worked with Ruby but heard Arian talk about it alot and it seem to be fun.
http://rubyonrails.org/ for more info

good luck !

MohammadLin

Bench Warmer
Aug 9, 2004
High-level software and specially web programming has been dramatically evolving. I deal with different clients and depending on the type of project we design web applications using Java, Flex/Flash, Ruby and Rails, Coldfusion, etc. It all really depends what kind of webform you want and as BT said despite being hard to keep up, it has basics and common learning process.

If I have a choice my favorite technologies are Adobe Flex, and Ruby and Rails (and recently Groovy and Grails).

If you want something quick, you can look into Ruby and Rails as Arian suggested. Any technology you choose, look up tutorial videos for it, they are available and they speed up your learning.

Intoxicated

Bench Warmer
Dec 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
w3schools will teach you basic SQL query but as BT mentioned you need to go to class really if you want to learn anything more. SQL is fairly easy language because its very easy to read, very much like english
I HATE programmig languages but fell in love with SQL when i started my job a few years ago. i owe the first 6 months of my SQL training to w3schools...good old days.

for those interested; TOAD is a great software for optimizing SQL queries.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
I HATE programmig languages but fell in love with SQL when i started my job a few years ago. i owe the first 6 months of my SQL training to w3schools...good old days.

for those interested; TOAD is a great software for optimizing SQL queries.
i hear u bro, SQL is sooo simple yer powerful .. joy to work with,

try learning C# ... i started learning C# about 6 months ago, took a 3 months course on it and got some great pointers from BT and Arian and already making applications on it !

Thank you lord for creating Microsoft so they can create .Net framework and C#.