Quicken anyone?

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I don't know if any of you out there use Quicken for your finances, but I have been using it for years and basically pretty happy. Until now. Intuit the company that makes Quicken (and Turbo Tax) has been making the older versions of the software obsolete. In that past they made it easy and fairly cheap to upgrade every couple of years. This year they went too far. I can no longer download a simple text file from my bank and import it into Quicken (I have version 2007). I would ordinarily pay the $50 or so to upgrade to 2010 version, but from all the reviews I have read, they are no longer allowing the downloads from banks anyway and you have to do a "direct connect", and they charge banks for that service. The short of it, I will have to pay $10-15 a month for something that I have been using for free for years. Needless to say, I am really pissed, and looking at alternatives.

1. I can just enter the stuff by hand into my Quicken account, which is doable but a pain in the ass.

2. I can see if I can find a hack for Quicken 2007 that would allow me to continue to use the downloads (I have tried this but haven't found anything).

3. I can replace Quicken with another product that allows the free downloads from financial institutions.

I would like to hear about anybody's experience or opinions on the matter. If you suggest option 3, please let me know about other products that you have used and what you recommend.

Thanks.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
hmmm... Khorusjan, I would give their latest version a try using a trial version, cuz I'm pretty sure my bank supports their 2010 version and doesn't charge anything (which doesn't really mean much except maybe nothing has really changed relative to 2007?)

MYOB and Microsoft Money are your 2 other major options and of course Quicken is said to be better than both.

In any case you will definitely find cracks to keep your current version working. There's nothing on this earth that hasn't been cracked :)

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
hmmm... Khorusjan, I would give their latest version a try using a trial version, cuz I'm pretty sure my bank supports their 2010 version and doesn't charge anything (which doesn't really mean much except maybe nothing has really changed relative to 2007?)

MYOB and Microsoft Money are your 2 other major options and of course Quicken is said to be better than both.

In any case you will definitely find cracks to keep your current version working. There's nothing on this earth that hasn't been cracked :)
Thanks BT jaan, I know I can always count on you for insight. First, there is no trial version that I can find. Second, I read the reviews on Amazon and half the people gave it 1 star out of 5 for different reasons. I will have to talk to my bank and confirm their take on it.

I haven't heard of MYOB, but MS Money is no longer in existence. I just downloaded Gnucash, which is open source and been used for a while. I will give that a test run and see. There is also MoneyDance which is sold for the same price and Quicken and sounds like a good option.

As for the crack, I just haven't found it, so if you got some additional info on that, it would be great. I am basically very comfortable and happy with my Quicken 2007, and it irritates me that Intuit makes me buy a new version every 2-3 years. I had to switch from 2004 to 2007, because my bank stopped supporting 2004. I don't think it is right for a company to "take away" features that are already in the product at a certain period of time, making is less usable.

Quick update. I installed Gnucash and after playing with it for 5 minutes uninstalled it!! They break up all the categories in Quicken into separate accounts, which makes getting an overall register, like a checkbook, impossible, so you can't see everything all at once. Not acceptable!!

Last edited:

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Try mint.com. It is free and was purchased by intuit while back. It is the replacement for quicken.