Rahmati almost costs us World Cup qualification.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
He was solely responsible for losses to Lebanon and Uzbaks and if he had remained our #1 keeper, we would not make it.
I know many of you will defend his saves during other qualification matches, but for gods sake, that's his job to make those saves.
The main issue is that he is weak in coming off his line and other teams know about this weakness and explore it like Uzbacks and Lebanon did.

South Korea tried the same thing when Rahman Ahmadi was in the goal, but he stood firm and made timely exists.
Also, he made those two great back to back saves that Rahmati is normally praised for.

So, all in all, best decision by CQ was to bench him which led to him leaving the team (thank god).
We now have a chance now that he is not our #1 keeper any longer.

Jul 30, 2007
nyc
He was solely responsible for losses to Lebanon and Uzbaks and if he had remained our #1 keeper, we would not make it.
I know many of you will defend his saves during other qualification matches, but for gods sake, that's his job to make those saves.
The main issue is that he is weak in coming off his line and other teams know about this weakness and explore it like Uzbacks and Lebanon did.

South Korea tried the same thing when Rahman Ahmadi was in the goal, but he stood firm and made timely exists.
Also, he made those two great back to back saves that Rahmati is normally praised for.

So, all in all, best decision by CQ was to bench him which led to him leaving the team (thank god).
Iran's goals off of those two free kicks were not entirely rahmati's fault. I agree that rahmati was unprofessional in turning his back to tm, and I love CQ for kicking him off the team to maintain unity and instill discipline. But I have to give credit when credit is do. Rahmati has saved our asses on way too many instances and he is one of the best GK's in asia if not the best as far as reactions are concerned.
Going back to the only two goals that we let in which were free kicks you have to fault the poor marking in the box. In both instances Neku's man was the one that scored the goal. Iran has improved on defending against free kicks as was evident in the later games.
In summary, the goals were not rahmati's fault. Rahmati saved our asses many times. His arrogance and him being unprofessional are reasons he is off the team and are reasons why he should be kept off the team not his goalkeeping skills

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Iran's goals off of those two free kicks were not entirely rahmati's fault. I agree that rahmati was unprofessional in turning his back to tm, and I love CQ for kicking him off the team to maintain unity and instill discipline. But I have to give credit when credit is do. Rahmati has saved our asses on way too many instances and he is one of the best GK's in asia if not the best as far as reactions are concerned.
Going back to the only two goals that we let in which were free kicks you have to fault the poor marking in the box. In both instances Neku's man was the one that scored the goal. Iran has improved on defending against free kicks as was evident in the later games.
In summary, the goals were not rahmati's fault. Rahmati saved our asses many times. His arrogance and him being unprofessional are reasons he is off the team and are reasons why he should be kept off the team not his goalkeeping skills

Dear Vatanparast,

come on....

Nov 24, 2002
since aghili we don't have a D who is first on cross ball to clear the balls and as vatanparast said you can't only blame rahmati , that is why CQ realized it and brought sadeghi a tall guy who cleared the balls in some cross balls ,we had rahmati discussion before and he was for years the best TM player for years and many people here prasied him ..
TM defence played so good in last 3 games that all ahmadi has to do was totoal of 2 saves in 3 games ( the 2 vs korea which was crucial ofcourse)

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003

My friend, one has to wonder if you actually saw any of those games or at least the goals scored in those games to make such comments.

First of all we didn't win any of those games first and foremost because we didn't score any goals. Even if Rahmati would've saved those goals we still would not have won the games with zero goals.

2nd, both goals against Lebanon and Uzbekistan were fault of defense for extremely poor positioning. Their positioning was so poor that I don't think you'd even see such stupid mistakes in amateur level and I'm surprised that the coaching staff allowed the same mistake be made in the first place against Lebanon and then didn't drill the concept in to the head of the players after the loss against Lebanon.

The goal against Lebanon occurred because the defender was standing behind the Lebanese striker when the ball was being crossed in to the penalty box! In fact I would seriously fault not only the defense but more so the coaching staff for not drilling this basic fact in to the head of the defenders about this really basic fact of defending. When the ball is being sent in to your penalty box (be it from a corner or a set piece) you always have to position yourself in front of the striker otherwise if you're going to stand behind the striker you might as well give the opponent the goal without them even trying.

[video=youtube;2oYCcalAaDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oYCcalAaDw[/video]

The goal in Uzbek game was also purely the defense fault for an extremely poor and amateurish positioning behind the Uzbek players instead of in front of them during the cross in to our penalty box. In fact, if you look at the replay of that goal you'd notice that Rahmati had positioned himself perfectly in front of the Uzbek striker. But right before the ball goes in to the goal (if you pause the video below at minute 3:07 or 3:09) you will see that 3 Iranian defenders are standing behind 3 Uzbek strikers from the side that the ball was being sent in! The striker that scored the goal I think was covered by Ando.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AmV6oQGEbY

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
The goal in Uzbek game was also purely the defense fault for an extremely poor and amateurish positioning behind the Uzbek players instead of in front of them during the cross in to our penalty box. In fact, if you look at the replay of that goal you'd notice that Rahmati had positioned himself perfectly in front of the Uzbek striker. But right before the ball goes in to the goal (if you pause the video below at minute 3:07 or 3:09) you will see that 3 Iranian defenders are standing behind 3 Uzbek strikers from the side that the ball was being sent in! The striker that scored the goal I think was covered by Ando.

[video=youtube;9AmV6oQGEbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AmV6oQGEbY[/video]

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Here's the game against Uzbeks in Tashkent and some of Rahmati's saves:

[video=youtube;jKqXJwAgSeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKqXJwAgSeM[/video]

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
Rahmati is good but he has a serious attitude and stab someone in the back personality problem. He was very unprofessional how he handled the whole situation. I don't know what this idiot was thinking. You just don't go behind the national team head coach and say bad things about him to the media. That's how you create problems for your self. sheeeeshhh.....

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004

[video=youtube;9AmV6oQGEbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AmV6oQGEbY[/video]

The guy clearly doesn't leave his line???? Have you watched the video you posted your self??? He refuses to leave his line and stands there frozen and you are shifting blame to Teymourian!!!!

I am glad that CQ has axed Seyed Rahmati out for his unprofessional behavior. It's time to move on now and get the Iranian team ready for the WC.

:RIP:

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Rahmati is good but he has a serious attitude and stab someone in the back personality problem. He was very unprofessional how he handled the whole situation. I don't know what this idiot was thinking. You just don't go behind the national team head coach and say bad things about him to the media. That's how you create problems for your self. sheeeeshhh.....
We already talked about this ad nauseum in the other thread. But suffice to say that he didn't stab anyone in the back and it seems that he simply didn't know how to handle the pressure of losing two games in a row and the coach blaming him for it very professionally. But his lack of professional handling of the situation only comes from the lack of professionalism in Iranian football, league and the entire culture of work in Iran.

He apparently had the impression that CQ for whatever reason doesn't like him and felt that CQ was blaming him for the loses against Lebanon and Uzbekistan to which he immaturely and unprofessionally responded by temporarily quitting the team hoping that someone from the coaching staff would come and ask him to calm down and find out what his problem was. But to his surprise not only no one from the coaching staff asked why he had made such a rash decision but they also quickly welcomed his action and CQ came on TV congratulating Rahmati and wishing him good luck after his retirement!!

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Have you watched the video you posted your self???
No I haven't! That btw is called a stupid answer to an even more stupid question.

The guy clearly doesn't leave his line???? Have you watched the video you posted your self??? He refuses to leave his line and stands there frozen and you are shifting blame to Teymourian!!!!

Why the f.. would he leave his line? Dude do you even play or have you ever played football in a real team and a standard match? Or are your comments purely based on the couple of pickup games you've played with "gol koochick" and watching some games on TV?

If the ball coming in to his penalty box was high enough that he could assume some percentage of success beating the striker in the air with his hand then he should've come out. If the ball was on the ground and the striker had clearly beaten then defense then he should've come out to close the angle or block the ball on the ground or risk even a penalty by bringing down the striker. But with the angle and the height that the ball was coming in and with at least 3 Iranian defenders covering the 3 Uzbek players, coming out of his line would've been the worst possible play because a small hit on the ball could've easily chipped it in to the goal.

You want to talk about his character or professionalism or lack of it that's one thing but lets leave technical abilities out of this especially when the videos are available for all to see.

Thank god the videos are there for everyone to see and review (in case they didn't see it or forgot about it). One can only imagine what some people would makeup and say if these weren't available!

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
We already talked about this ad nauseum in the other thread. But suffice to say that he didn't stab anyone in the back and it seems that he simply didn't know how to handle the pressure of losing two games in a row and the coach blaming him for it very professionally. But his lack of professional handling of the situation only comes from the lack of professionalism in Iranian football, league and the entire culture of work in Iran.

He apparently had the impression that CQ for whatever reason doesn't like him and felt that CQ was blaming him for the loses against Lebanon and Uzbekistan to which he immaturely and unprofessionally responded by temporarily quitting the team hoping that someone from the coaching staff would come and ask him to calm down and find out what his problem was. But to his surprise not only no one from the coaching staff asked why he had made such a rash decision but they also quickly welcomed his action and CQ came on TV congratulating Rahmati and wishing him good luck after his retirement!!
For the first bolded part that is very true in our culture.

For your second bolded part. He didn't quit tm at the time due to problems with CQ but If I remember quickly he quit because he said he had family problems and needed to be away from tm for a while and then all of a sudden he comes on navad and other sports shows and talks shit about CQ and tm. I am sorry but when your professional soccer player you don't come out and bash the coach because the coach is the one who has authority in the team you just don't disrespect authority because all of a sudden you don't want to compete for your place with another goalkeeper...

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
For the first bolded part that is very true in our culture.

For your second bolded part. He didn't quit tm at the time due to problems with CQ but If I remember quickly he quit because he said he had family problems and needed to be away from tm for a while and then all of a sudden he comes on navad and other sports shows and talks shit about CQ and tm. I am sorry but when your professional soccer player you don't come out and bash the coach because the coach is the one who has authority in the team you just don't disrespect authority because all of a sudden you don't want to compete for your place with another goalkeeper...
doost e aziz, read the posts in the other thread for more details:
http://forums.iransportspress.com/showthread.php?79945-Should-CQ-invite-Aghili-and-Rahamti-for-WC

But briefly again, Rahmati didn't attack CQ initially and simply said he wants to stay away from TM temporarily ("movaghatti") to sort out some personal issues. He later on explained that he expected someone from the coaching staff to ask him and try to find out what his problem was that lead him to such a rash and unexpected decision. But to his surprise not only they didn't do that but CQ also welcomed his departure which Rahmati claims confirmed his suspicion that CQ had some personal problem with him and perhaps didn't want him on the team in the first place.

It was only after CQ's 2nd interview confirming that there was no way he was going to allow Rahmati back on the team that Rahmati also made a comment about CQ's back ground as having always been an assistant coach and perhaps he should have the same position in TM as well. The rumors about Daniel Davari had nothing to do Rahmati's decision.

In fact, according to some reports, Davari also turned down TM before Qatar game, citing the importance of his obligation to his club over TM. If true and with CQ announcing the importance of players putting TM before their own individual benefits one would also expect that Davari would also have no place in TM given his decision to turn down CQ's offer when TM really needed him.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Ashtar I suggest you watch the video since you have not watched it!!!

Then you may understand that he could have grabbed the ball if he stepped one yard forward instead of being frozen and not moving. Instead of making excuses for him and blaming others you should be more realistic in your assertion.

Last edited:

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Ostad Jan, who is better than rahmati in asia?

Dear Vatanparast,

Right off the top of my head I can say the Japanese keeper is much better than him (Plays in Europe somewhere). Oman has a sick goalie who plays in the premier league. The Lebanese keeper who I believe plays in Sweden or Denmark also comes to mind. I am sure there are more goalies who are better than him. Yes he is talented and has skills but he is unprofessional and weak in exits. This by it self is a huge liability that can be extremly costly as we have seen.

Nov 24, 2002
how rahmati was in fault against Lebanon??And how you can only blame him vs uzbak 's ? if some one played a bit of game wouldn't say such a thing

Last edited:

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
how rahmati was in fault against Lebanon??And how you can only blame him vs uzbak 's ? if some one played a bit of game wouldn't say such a thing

If you watch the video again the guy instead of coming out with his punch is coming out with his leg. Watch it once more... He could have come out and saved it but froze on his line and when reacted it was too late for his action and an action with his foot instead of his hands... This is not about playing or not playing the game. And the defense can always be better without a doubt.... But the main responsibility does fall on him and he sure doesn't know how to make the correct move.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
No I haven't! That btw is called a stupid answer to an even more stupid question.

Why the f.. would he leave his line? Dude do you even play or have you ever played football in a real team and a standard match? Or are your comments purely based on the couple of pickup games you've played with "gol koochick" and watching some games on TV?

If the ball coming in to his penalty box was high enough that he could assume some percentage of success beating the striker in the air with his hand then he should've come out. If the ball was on the ground and the striker had clearly beaten then defense then he should've come out to close the angle or block the ball on the ground or risk even a penalty by bringing down the striker. But with the angle and the height that the ball was coming in and with at least 3 Iranian defenders covering the 3 Uzbek players, coming out of his line would've been the worst possible play because a small hit on the ball could've easily chipped it in to the goal.

You want to talk about his character or professionalism or lack of it that's one thing but lets leave technical abilities out of this especially when the videos are available for all to see.

Thank god the videos are there for everyone to see and review (in case they didn't see it or forgot about it). One can only imagine what some people would makeup and say if these weren't available!
I reluctantly saw this video again just to see what you guys are talking about , it sure is Rahmati's indecision and his standing position that allowed this goal .

You can see by the way the player who is taking the kick is standing behind the ball how he is going to play it , he is not going to take a shot at the goal and he is clearly going to swing it in so rahmat should be standing a couple of feet in front of the goal line to give himself a chance to go and intercept the ball before someone else if need be ...

Ok , so the defenders ,specially the one who failed to jump as the ball went over his head were at fault too , but a smart keeper should not allow a ball like that reach a opponent on his six yard line , he has to be in a position to give himself a maximum chance of reaching the ball , if he is on goal line it is that much harder to get out on to your six yard line quick enough and that is why he conceded goals like this one , in one or two others he came out and was too late and found himself in no man's land .

Problem with him is he has too much ego and would not listen to team melli coach who used to be a keeper himself ! he was going to be benched and he got the hump and left to be begged to come back , well it didn't happen with this coach who worked with Man utd players and Portugal and Real Madrid , he could not intimidate CQ like he had done in Iran football with locals .

Personally I am glad to see the back of him who turned his back to his team melli at a critical time.