RE: Karbaschi

peyman

Ball Boy
Oct 18, 2002
montreal, canada
hello all.
i thought it would be a good idea to open a new thread to show MY gratitude to a once HERO...rather than posting this under the "Mayor of Tehran" thread.

i'd like to suggest something, it's only an idea: to make a fan club/website for Mr. Karbaschi.
ISP has been a great source these days both in Iranian media and LA media (for its support of women in Azadi and etc)... maybe this will be the start of something new... however, unfortunately i lack the talent to start a hightech website for the hounarable Karbaschi. does anyone want to help out?

regards,

Oct 18, 2002
Fan of Islamic republic or not, he was one of the most capable managers that Iran had ever seen, and his work on urban development in Tehran (even though one could disagree with many of his ideas) was superb. That made him a hero.

Why should our hero always be an (often failed) political leader? Isn't it time that we start rewarding our capable managers, technologists, professors, doctors etc regardless of their political and religious views?

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
lordofmordor said:
Can you truly say that he is not a fan of the Islamic regime? Is he a fan of secular Iran? If not, what makes him a hero?
I can truely say that he's fully in support of a secular system. Actually he doesn't give a rat's ass about about what the system is. He builds his own system and operates it with full force to a point where it actually generates enough money to create a whole new government. That's what he was doing, but obviously it didn't taste too good to some thieves and criminals so they sent him to jail.

PouyaFatemi

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
Dallas, Tx
I am not certain about his political views. All I know is that he was one of the most capable managers Iran has ever had. He practically saved Tehran. For that, he is a hero.

Oct 1, 2004
He is one of the most respected people in Iran, people always say even if he stole money, "nooshe joonesh" because he really fixed up some terrible problems in Tehran as best as he could. Tehran is a city that keeps expanding and was not built with a plan.
The mayor that suceeded him was absolute garbage, and he did steal alot of money and was forced to resign. Then Ahmadinejad came along and look where he is now.

Oct 18, 2002
Karbaschi did not steal money. He allowed high salaries to managers and technical staff so that they don't have to take bribes.

For those who are not familiar with his work aside from Tehran urban development issues, he:

- Established the first Iranian Internet service provider company, Neda Rayaneh. This was the first company (back in 1992-1993) that offered email and BBS service to the public at a very affordable cost.

- Established Tehran Traffic Control Inc, a high tech company that set up and deployed traffic monitoring systems across the capital.

- Started the first modern daily newspaper after the revolution. Hamshahri revolutionized the Iranian press and was the basis for all reformist newspapers that came into existence later.

- His work on expanding cultural centers was incredible. Did you remember when he razed Tehran's old slaughterhouse in south tehran and built Bahman cultural center in its place?

He ever claimed to be a political leader. He remained a public manager, committed to his idea of efficient management, and through his hard work and open mind vastly improved the area that he was working in.

Mar 2, 2003
I like Karbaschi based on everything I know about him. Indeed, beyond his reputation as a mayor who did a lot for Tehran, he is also a knowledgable political analyst. He was Khatami's campaign manager in 1997, and was also involved in Rafsanjani's campaign this time around.

His analysis of the political trends and the chances for Ahmadinejad to win the election were -- despite his position in the opposite camp -- realistic and not colored by self-deluding notions.

Anyway, someone like Karbaschi definitely deserves better treatment from both the regime as well as some of its opponents. He has done a lot for Iran and our capital city.

mowj

National Team Player
May 14, 2005
Deerouz,
And Bahman cultural center was converted into a prayer center by Ahmadinejad.
Unlike elevator segregation which I am not sure yet but I think this conversion is factual.
And isn't it sad that someone like Karbaschi a regim loyalist (peobably less after his arrest) with his proven managerial skills is not allowed to run for presidency, he would have been disqualified by the militarist religious right fascist.

peyman

Ball Boy
Oct 18, 2002
montreal, canada
well with only one member bashing Karbaschi, which is probably due to his lack of knowledge about the issue... back to my question... anyone think of the idea i had? why should we praise our heros after they die? why not show our support while they're still alive!?

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Peyman jan,

the idea is good but ISP is not a political site to start/promote such ideas.
If any member wants to create a website to honour him and then tells others about this website, its fine,go ahead. but we dont really start fan clubs for polit figures!!
If we could do it, we would do it for our TM heros first!!;)

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
lordofmordor said:
Can you truly say that he is not a fan of the Islamic regime? Is he a fan of secular Iran? If not, what makes him a hero?
Who gives a hoot about his ideology. The fact is he beautified Isfahan & then Tehran & was a capable manager. So what if he is not secular. Half of Iran's population are not secular.