Recommend an LCD TV (42-46")

May 21, 2003
Hi,

I have to buy a TV sometime this week. I've done a lot of research and the more I read the more I feel like I'm back at square one. I'm taking a vote here. Khaste shodam vallah! Please recommend a specific model and if possible please include reasons why you think it's a better buy than others.

I'm not going to buy the Blueray player anytime soon, so please take that into account as well.

Thank you

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
I cannot give any reason but I have heard that Pioneer is the best followed by Panasonic. Costco usually have good prices and an extra year of warranty.

Bache_Moffoo

Football Fan
Jan 9, 2007
Samsung LE46A656

With a contrast of 50000:1 and HD ready, there is no doubting the quality of picture; it is amazing! With four HDMI connections you can have all of your multimedia needs on one screen. This Tv allows you, for example, to have A PS3, a Wii, a dvd player and several other consoles etc. You will never have to change rooms to play or watch something else; it can all be on one TV. With also built in freeview (all Channels) this has it all.
Definately worth the price if you consider the size, picture quality and everything else. And to top it all off the red panneling top and bottom means it is perfect to watch and play on. No better Television on the market, in my opinion, and one which is well worth the money.

Attachments

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I opted for Plasam over LCD and got a Panasonic (who btw invented Plasma TV), and I am very pleased. They make a 42" Plasma (Viera) that is selling for $900-1000 and I am considering buying that one for my bedroom (I got the big one for the living room). :) That being said, I have heard that Samsung makes good LCDs.

Aug 12, 2004
I opted for Plasam over LCD and got a Panasonic (who btw invented Plasma TV), and I am very pleased. They make a 42" Plasma (Viera) that is selling for $900-1000 and I am considering buying that one for my bedroom (I got the big one for the living room). :) That being said, I have heard that Samsung makes good LCDs.
Question: What is the Difference Between an LCD TV and a Plasma TV?
Answer: Outward appearances are definitely deceiving when it comes to LCD and Plasma televisions. Although both types of televisions are flat and thin, they employ different technology in an attempt to deliver similar results.

Plasma TV Overview
Plasma television technology is based loosely on the fluorescent light bulb. The display itself consists of cells. Within each cell two glass panels are separated by a narrow gap in which neon-xenon gas is injected and sealed in plasma form during the manufacturing process. The gas is electrically charged at specific intervals when the Plasma set is in use. The charged gas then strikes red, green, and blue phosphors, thus creating a television image. Each group of red, green, and blue phosphors is called a pixel (picture element).
Although Plasma television technology eliminate the need for the bulky picture tube and electron beam scanning of traditional televisions, because it still employs the burning of phosphors to generate an image, Plasma televisions still suffer from some of the drawbacks of traditional televisions, such as heat generation and screen-burn of static images.

LCD TV Overview
LCD televisions, on the other hand, use a different technology (see also question #1 for this same explanation).
Basically, LCD panels are made of two layers of transparent material, which are polarized, and are "glued" together. One of the layers is coated with a special polymer that holds the individual liquid crystals. Current is then passed through individual crystals, which allow the crystals to pass or block light to create images. LCD crystals do not produce their own light, so an external light source, such as florescent bulb is needed for the image created by the LCD to become visible to the viewer.
Unlike standard CRT and Plasma televisions, since there are no phosphors that light up, less power is need for operation and the light source in an LCD television generates less heat than a Plasma or traditional television. Also, because of the nature of LCD technology, there is no radiation emitted from the screen itself.

Plasma vs LCD

The ADVANTAGES of Plasma over LCD are:
1. Larger screen size availability.
2. Better contrast ratio and ability to render deeper blacks.
3. Better color accuracy and saturation.
4. Better motion tracking (little or no motion lag in fast moving images).

The DISADVANTAGES of Plasma vs LCD include:
1. Plasma TVs are more susceptible to burn-in of static images.
2. Plasma TVs generate more heat than LCDs, due to the need to light of phosphors to create the images.
3. Does not perform as well at higher altitudes.
4. Shorter display life span (about 30,000 hours or 8 hrs of viewing a day for 9 years) than LCD. However, screen life span is improving to as high as 60,000 hours due to technology improvements.

LCD television ADVANTAGES over Plasma include:
1. No burn-in of static images.
2. Cooler running temperature.
3. No high altitude use issues.
4. Increased image brightness over Plasma.
5. Longer display life (about 60,000 hours - at which time all you may need to do is replace the light source, not the entire set). This can vary according other environmental and use factors.
6. Lighter weight (when comparing same screen sizes) than Plasma counterparts.

DISADVANTAGES of LCD vs Plasma televisions include:
1. Lower contrast ratio, not as good rendering deep blacks.
2. Not as good at tracking motion (fast moving objects may exhibit lag artifacts) - However, this is improving with the recent implementation of 120Hz screen refresh rates in higher-end LCD sets.
3. Not as common in large screen sizes above 42-inches as Plasma. However, the number is growing fast, with 46 and 47-inch screen sizes becoming more common, and some LCD sets having a screen size as large as 65-inches now available to the general public.
4. Although LCD televisions do not suffer from burn-in susceptibility, it is possible that individual pixels on an LCD televisions can burn out, causing small, visible, black or white dots to appear on the screen. Individual pixels cannot be repaired, the whole screen would need to be replaced at that point, if the individual pixel burnout becomes annoying to you.
5. LCD televisions are typically more expensive than equivalent-sized Plasma televisions (although this is changing), especially when comparing EDTV Plasmas to HDTV-LCD Televisions.

navid007

Bench Warmer
Jul 23, 2005
come on you can't compare anything with Sony XBR tvs... go to bestbuy or if you live in canada future shop... compare picture and colour of a sony XBR and other tvs... and you'll see the difference ;)

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
I am a tech nut. I have done tons of research. The current batch of LCDs are much better than Plasma. Many companies dont even make Plasma anymore because it is an inferior technology. That being said the best three LCDs are:

1. Sony Bravia
2. Samsung 7 series
3. Sharp Aquos

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I am a tech nut. I have done tons of research. The current batch of LCDs are much better than Plasma. Many companies dont even make Plasma anymore because it is an inferior technology. That being said the best three LCDs are:

1. Sony Bravia
2. Samsung 7 series
3. Sharp Aquos
ADC jaan, I think you are being unfair to Plasma. Yes, it is older technology, but that doesn't make it inferior. I don't know about the new batch of the 120 Hz LCD TVs, but the 60 Hz ones do not compare favorably to Plasma in picture quality. LCD is still not as good as Plasma in producing true black and in fast motion footage. So, if picture quality is your primary concern, Plasma still has a slight edge. Of course, as far as weight and power consumption, LCD wins hands down.

Question: What is the Difference Between an LCD TV and a Plasma TV?
Answer: Outward appearances are definitely deceiving when it comes to LCD and Plasma televisions. Although both types of televisions are flat and thin, they employ different technology in an attempt to deliver similar results.
Thanks Rahim jaan, I am well aware of the differences, since I researched them for about 2 years before I bought the Panasonic Plasma a few months ago. But, this is great information for those who are in the processing of deciding which technology to go with.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
ADC jaan, I think you are being unfair to Plasma. Yes, it is older technology, but that doesn't make it inferior. I don't know about the new batch of the 120 Hz LCD TVs, but the 60 Hz ones do not compare favorably to Plasma in picture quality. LCD is still not as good as Plasma in producing true black and in fast motion footage. So, if picture quality is your primary concern, Plasma still has a slight edge. Of course, as far as weight and power consumption, LCD wins hands down.
You are basically right. Plasma's dont last as long also. The newest LCDs have very good contrast rates and are almost as good as plasmas in that regard. You cant really go wrong with either, but I prefer LCD.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Plasmas are easier on the eye but because of the life span I would definitely go with the LCD & Samsung is the best bang for your buck.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Plasmas are easier on the eye but because of the life span I would definitely go with the LCD & Samsung is the best bang for your buck.
You are basically right. Plasma's dont last as long also. The newest LCDs have very good contrast rates and are almost as good as plasmas in that regard. You cant really go wrong with either, but I prefer LCD.

The new plasmas have a half life of around 60,000 hours. If I did the math correctly, at 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, that would last you around 20 years!! Do the LCDs last longer than that? Does it really matter?

How susceptible are LCDs to deal pixels? I know once a pixel goes, it is gone, and if you lose enough of them, it can be annoying, but then again, maybe they never go bad. The laptop I am using to type this message is around 6-7 years old and if it has any dead pixels, I can't see them, so maybe that is non-issue.

Still, I watch a lot of sports and the fast motion issue and potential lag on the LCD was kind of a significant issue for me, not to mention the price (plasmas are a little cheaper now for the same price as LCD, especially the new 120 Hz ones out now). Anyway, you really can't go wrong with either one these days.