Rice asking Congress for $75Million to start a TV station for Iranians...

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
dameshoon garm! Finally the brains of US administration is working as it should. The best way to win the war with these Mullahs in my opinion is things such as a good Political TV station that can be viewed by most people & is not crap.

I watch VOA TV programs & must say they really are professional! This is gonna be great! I hope congress will vote for it.

ecretary of State Condoleezza Rice is asking Congress for $75 million in an emergency spending bill to support U.S. efforts to build democracy in Iran, Bush administration officials said Wednesday.

The money, to be included in a supplemental 2006 budget request the White House is expected to send to Congress as early as this week, will be used for radio and satellite television broadcasting and for programs to help Iranians study abroad, said the officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because Rice had not yet announced the request.

"The United States wishes to reach out to the Iranian people and support their desire to realize their own freedom and to secure their own democratic and human rights. The Iranian people should know that the United States fully supports their aspirations for a freer, better future," Rice was expected to say based on remarks prepared for delivery before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Over the past two years the State Department has invested more than $4 million in "projects that empower Iranian citizens in their call for political and economic liberty, freedom of speech, and respect for human rights" and in the current budget year will invest at least $10 million in such efforts, according to Rice's remarks.

The $75 million is in addition to that money, which Congress already has approved.

Rice is expected to tell Senators that the United States is working with non-governmental organizations to develop a support network for "Iranian reformers, political dissidents and human rights activists" while paying for programs that train labor activists and help protect them from the "radical regime" in Tehran.

The United States has not had diplomatic ties with Iran since the 1979 storming of the U.S. Embassy in Iran and maintains broad economic sanctions against the Islamic regime.

"Through its aggressive and confrontational behavior, Iran is increasingly isolating itself from the international community," Rice said in her prepared text.

An Iranian official said Tuesday that his country has resumed small-scale enrichment of uranium, putting that nation on a path that others fear could be a step toward producing fuel for an atomic bomb. The U.S. and many European countries are maneuvering to bring Iran before the U.N. Security Council in hopes of pressuring Tehran into backing away from its nuclear program.

Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., the chairman of the panel, said in prepared remarks that Iran's "intransigence in the face of growing international opposition points to a diplomatic showdown. We should not underestimate the impact of an Iranian government possessing nuclear weapons."

In addition to Iran, senators were expected to pepper Rice with questions on a host of international issues, many of which have arisen since she last appeared before Congress in October. Those include an impending takeover of the Palestinian government by Hamas, an Islamic group that won a decisive majority in Palestinian legislative elections last month.

"We will continue to insist that the leaders of Hamas must recognize Israel, disarm, reject terrorism, and work for lasting peace," Rice is expected to say.

On Tuesday, United States and Israeli officials denied reports that they were plotting ways to topple the militant group's incoming government unless it renounces its violent ideology and recognizes Israel's right to exist.

Also on the agenda during the hearing was the political and economic situation in Iraq.

In Iraq, the fledgling democracy's leading Shiite bloc has chosen Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari to serve another term and lead the country's new government. The U.S. wants al-Jaafari to form a national unity government with Shiites, Sunni Arabs and Kurds, hoping that will rein in the violence that has raged since Saddam Hussein's fall in 2003.

Although lawmakers acknowledge progress politically in Iraq, some express frustration over what they say is the administration's lack of adequate action on repairing Iraq's oil production infrastructure and fully restoring its water and electrical power.

Rice was to appear before the committee on Tuesday, but the session was postponed a day because of Senate floor votes.

Associated Press Writer Liz Sidoti in Washington contributed to this story from Washington

Last edited:

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
great move. finallyyyyy..
I bet IR will crack down on all satt in Iran as soon as its launched, but still a good start!

kebabe2

IPL Player
Sep 8, 2003
uk
Thank god...At last some quality high definition digital tv channels!!

im fed up with those crappy low pixalated analog irany tv stations. I hope they can do a rerun of some of 1960s movies,maybe they will do request line?

AMirza

IPL Player
Mar 19, 2004
Guys -
VOA looks professional but is still run by Behnood and supervised by liberals who seek to reform IRI via discussions. I hope the new TV is established with one and only one objective - Total elimination of Akhoondism.

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
AMirza said:
Guys -
VOA looks professional but is still run by Behnood and supervised by liberals who seek to reform IRI via discussions. I hope the new TV is established with one and only one objective - Total elimination of Akhoondism.
I think VOA is as objective as it gets.

Old-Faraz

Bench Warmer
Mar 19, 2004
US has been funding Iranian Sat stations ever since Bushies came in. Thus the explosion of the Iranian LA-TV stations in 2000 and beyond.

Iranians have access to many sources of information already. There are many other News stations that can be received in Iran already. Access to Internet is getting more widespread everyday.

US has aleady tried the same approach in Arabic with no results to show for their money. They are more despised than ever in the Arab world.

The fundamental problems is not a "marketing" or "image management" problem as the US leaders think it is. The problem is the policies.

So, if you had pinned your hopes on Hakha-TV or MKO-TV to save Iran, go ahead and pin your hopes on BUSH-TV. It just has as much probablity of success.

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
75 mil. is a lot of money and it could be done cheeper but sure it is positive. Unlike Iraq American's are nicer to us. When IRI dose every thing to isolate Iran so they can
enforce our nation their own reactionary culture west now can tel Iranian a different version.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
This attempt will do no good if people are going to need satelite dish and receivers. The people that need enlightening are those that don't and can't afford the facility.

Thed US should attemp to send the channel for terrestial viewing. The money should be spend on developing that kind of technology so that the ordinary poor person all over Iran with only a TV set can also watch.

R_E_Z_A

IPL Player
Jan 16, 2004
I really hope this kind of tv propaganda of Iranian exile oppositions backed by USA get into every Iranian household. Then, all Iranian people will undrestand what kind of alternatives are there for them, and gandesh dar miad big time. :D

Feb 22, 2005
R_E_Z_A hate to tell you but it works. It worked in the communist world and other places. Why? When people of Iran see how the western world live, they want it and the more they hear and see it the more they want it. That is when IR would find itself being flushed down the toilet by its own supporters.

To the day of democracy where you R_E_Z_A and all of us together can rule Iran in a democratic way where we all share power, where there wont be your Iran, my Iran, his Iran, but rather our Iran.

R_E_Z_A

IPL Player
Jan 16, 2004
lordofmordor said:
R_E_Z_A hate to tell you but it works. It worked in the communist world and other places. Why? When people of Iran see how the western world live, they want it and the more they hear and see it the more they want it. That is when IR would find itself being flushed down the toilet by its own supporters.
It did'nt work. Actually your example is a wrong one. The Communism countries were amongst the the most regimes in which they did'nt allow American propaganda to reach. Also there is a big difference between Russion people and Iranian people. Iranians/Muslims are religious and Western culture is not accepted by them. Fortunately for us the opposition is on a completely different wavelength and will never succeed with Iranian public. If they like to get accepted by Iranians they HAVE to respect what Iranians want, and not what THEY themselves want.

To the day of democracy where you R_E_Z_A and all of us together can rule Iran in a democratic way where we all share power, where there wont be your Iran, my Iran, his Iran, but rather our Iran.
Democracy is a big failure. It is better if Condi keeps it for themselves. No, thanks we have a our own way of running our country.

Also, those millions of $ which USA will be putting to make a tv for Iranians will make those Iranians operating this tv tools in the hand of Americans. This is another evidence showing that the opposition is desparate and can not gather public's support without the help of American$.

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
R_E_Z_A said:
It did'nt work. Actually your example is a wrong one. The Communism countries were amongst the the most regimes in which they did'nt allow American propaganda to reach. Also there is a big difference between Russion people and Iranian people. Iranians/Muslims are religious and Western culture is not accepted by them. Fortunately for us the opposition is on a completely different wavelength and will never succeed with Iranian public. If they like to get accepted by Iranians they HAVE to respect what Iranians want, and not what THEY themselves want.

Democracy is a big failure. It is better if Condi keeps it for themselves. No, thanks we have a our own way of running our country.

Also, those millions of $ which USA will be putting to make a tv for Iranians will make those Iranians operating this tv tools in the hand of Americans. This is another evidence showing that the opposition is desparate and can not gather public's support without the help of American$.
First off, KHEYLI BAHAALEEH :) *grabs your cheeks*

No, the system we have now running our country is horrible, we need a change

Dameet Garm America, this is a good way to start countering IR's propaganda mechanism. :)

And, your government cannot do shit wihout stealing oil money either.

Another one bites the dust .. and another one and another one, another one bites the dust.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
It’s somewhat telling when one has to spend so much money to sell a change of government to a nation where the majority supposedly is so fed up with the current system and so eager for a change.

It used to be that people who lacked something would be willing to pay to get it. Thirsty people would pay for a drink, hungry people would pay for food, and oppressed people would pay for freedom. It seems things have changed and now the oppressed people need to be paid to accept freedom. May be I should stop working and my landlord would pay me to live in his house and restaurants would pay me to eat at their place and gas stations would pay me to pump gas at their station. LOL

Who knows may be we are closer to “Akhar e zamoon” than we think. LOL

Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
R_E_Z_A said:
I really hope this kind of tv propaganda of Iranian exile oppositions backed by USA get into every Iranian household. Then, all Iranian people will undrestand what kind of alternatives are there for them, and gandesh dar miad big time. :D
LOL. age tars nadarid, pas chera chap o rast parasit mindazid?
Chera site haye mokhtalef roo filter mikonid?