Rivaldo set to call it a day - SBS

Aug 26, 2005
Rivaldo set to call it a day - SBS

Former World Player of the Year Rivaldo says he will hang his boots up at the end of the season.

The 34-year-old Brazil midfielder, who was voted the world's best player in 1999, says he will play one final season in Greece with Olympiacos before retiring.

"I have already made up my mind. This is going to be my last season as a footballer. I want to finish my career with Olympiacos' shirt," he reportedly told Potathlitis.

"I want to do something great next season and then I will go to Brazil to get some rest, but I assure everyone that this doesn't mean that I am not going to try my best in my last season as a footballer of Olympiacos."

"I want to achieve something more with Olympiacos and I hope that the other players and I can make it. This is how I want to leave Olympiacos and the football fields."

Rivaldo, who won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002, moved to Europe in 1996 when he joined Spanish side Deportivo La Coruna. He then played for Barcelona and AC Milan before joining the Athens giant in 2004.

Bijans

Legionnaire
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
I agree with Westi.. But I think Romario was more of a goal scorer.. while Rivaldo was a play maker.

In my book, Ronaldinho is nowadays more or less a show man. He wants to show off to get big Nike contracts... he could have been the best player.. but he is ruining his chances.....

Aug 26, 2005
westwienmaskulin said:
wonderful player...

after romario the second best brazilian in the past 20 years.
I agree. A lot of people say Ronaldinho is unpredictable but for me Rivaldo was much harder to read. He'd do an overhead kick, crack a shot from lord knows where...sometimes amazing. He had a hidden magic/genius.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Kaz said:
I agree. A lot of people say Ronaldinho is unpredictable but for me Rivaldo was much harder to read. He'd do an overhead kick, crack a shot from lord knows where...sometimes amazing. He had a hidden magic/genius.
that's true...

poor guy had to suffer a lot under that idiot van gaal. But his goals, specially against Real and the one against Valencia...damn it!!!

and he is still kicking it at 30something

Payam

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
Earth
www.iransportspress.com
westwienmaskulin said:
that's true...

poor guy had to suffer a lot under that idiot van gaal. But his goals, specially against Real and the one against Valencia...damn it!!!

and he is still kicking it at 30something
that one goal along with his other two goals he scored against Valencia. holy shit man... my favorite brasilians after rivaldo are romario and garrincha

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
A fantastic player. After Romario, one of Brazil's best players in the last 15 years. On par with Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.

Thank you!

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
I agree, after Romario it was Rivaldo. Without him Brazil could never win WC2002 . Ronaldo and Ronaldiniho are in the same level after him. Kaka Can be one of them soon.