Saddam Hussein SENTENCED TO DEATH by HANGING!!

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
His Death sentence will be carried out in X-mas times!! :)

Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The Iraqi High Tribunal on Sunday sentenced a combative Saddam Hussein and two other defendants to death by hanging for a brutal crackdown in 1982 in the Shiite town of Dujail.
Iraqis under a curfew in Baghdad spilled out into the streets in celebration of the verdict, news footage showed. But protests were held in Saddam Hussein's hometown.
Along with Hussein, his half-brother and former intelligence chief Barzan Hassan, and former chief judge of the Revolutionary Court Awad Bandar also got death. (Watch Hussein shout protests during sentencing -- 4:05
)
Taha Yassin Ramadan, a former vice president of Iraq, was sentenced to life in prison.
"The verdict was predetermined and has nothing to do with court proceedings," Ramadan said.
Mohammed Azzawi Ali, a former Dujail Baath Party official, was acquitted because of insufficient evidence against him, the court said.
The three others -- Abdullah Kadhem Ruwaid, Ali Dayem Ali, and Misher Abdullah Ruwaid -- were sentenced to 15 years each.
There will be automatic appeals for the four who were sentenced to death and life in prison.
The 50-minute session was dramatic. Hussein entered with a Quran in hand, as he had in the past. He began screaming Allahu Akhbar -- God is great -- as the verdict and sentencing was read.
He also argued with the chief judge and shouted, "Damn you and your court."
As the judge ordered him taken away, Hussein said, "Don't push me, boy."
Bandar also screamed Allahu Akhbar as he was taken out of court.
Defense attorney Ramsey Clark, a former U.S. attorney general, was ousted by judges early in the session. The court asked him to leave, saying he had come here from the United States to mock the Iraqi people and the court.
Another defense attorney, Ziad al-Najdawi, angrily told reporters as he left the courtroom, "That's the American justice."
The Dujail case stemmed from a crackdown against townspeople after a 1982 assassination attempt against Hussein in the town. The crackdown involved the ordered executions of 148 males.
Before Sunday's verdicts were announced, a curfew was imposed in Baghdad and two provinces -- Diyala and Salaheddin -- with large Sunni populations ahead of expected violence.
Predominantly Shiite and Kurdish provinces were not under curfew.
About 2,000 protesters in Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit on Sunday defied the curfew and demonstrated in support of the former leader.
A witness said the protesters carried posters of the former president and were shooting into the air.
The numbers of demonstrators grew after the sentence was announced. A complete movement ban -- both people and vehicles -- was imposed on Sunday in the provinces of Baghdad, Diyala and Salaheddin -- where Tikrit is located.
The Baghdad International Airport also shut down until further notice.
This verdicts come nearly three years after U.S.-led forces plucked Hussein out of hiding and just a few days before U.S. midterm elections, with the Iraqi war at center stage.
The U.S. ambassador in Iraq praised the verdicts and sentencing as "an important milestone for Iraq."
"Although the Iraqis may face difficult days in the coming weeks, closing the book on Saddam and his regime is an opportunity to unite and build a better future," Zalmay Khalilzad said in a statement issued shortly after the verdicts were rendered.
Outbursts and walkouts

The Dujail trial, the first in what is a series of proceedings against former regime officials, began October 19, 2005, and ended July 27. It was a turbulent courtroom battle witnessed on TV across the globe.
It was marked by outbursts and harangues from Hussein and his co-defendants, lawyer walkouts, much-criticized court actions, and complaints from lawyers about poor security. There were grave concerns about security for legal teams and their families; three defense lawyers were killed. (Full story)
Witness testimony and prosecutors got their case across, however. According to court documents, the military, political and security apparatus in Iraq and Dujail killed, arrested, detained and tortured men, women and children in the town. Homes were demolished and orchards were razed.
The Revolutionary Court sentenced 148 males to death, with Saddam's signature ratifying the order.
But there were other deaths as well -- nine people were killed during the destruction of orchards, and many of the 399 people who had been detained were either killed or remain missing.
Hussein, Hassan and Ramadan were charged with willful killing, deportation or forcible transfer of population; imprisonment or other severe deprivation of physical liberty in violation of fundamental norms of law; torture; enforced disappearance of persons, and other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering; or serious injury to the body or to the mental or physical health.
Bandar was charged with willful killing by issuing the death sentences for the 148 people.
The remaining defendants were lower-level Baath Party officials from Dujail, who were charged with informing on residents who later died in prison or were sentenced to death.
Hussein is also in the middle of another trial involving the 1988 Anfal campaign, the government offensive in the country's Kurdish region. Hussein is charged in that case with genocide.
CNN's Jomana Karadsheh and Aneesh Raman contributed to this repor

Last edited:

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
What a surprise!!!

Seriously, I can't help feel that this announcement has come just in time for G Bush to save some of his ass at home at a very sensitive time for mid term elections.
This whole trial was a joke from the beginning. There is no way you could have a fair trial under those circumstances.

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
I think it is a good day in my life. I was a soldier in Iran Iraq war and I remember i watched a movie Sadam fired a rocket against Iran and said to Dezfool. I remember I lost so many firends in that war.
I also remember years after my militery service Iraqi's Rackets were reaching Tehran. In the process of Sadam's sentecing Iran war didnot came up which implied that the Americans controlled the process. However I am happy I withness this in mylife time.

Last edited:

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
Saeedb said:
I think it is a good day in my life. I was a soldier in Iran Iraq war and I remember i watched a movie Sadam fired a rocket against Iran and said to Dezfool. I remember I lost so many firends in that war.
I also remember years after my militery service Iraqi's Rackets were reaching Tehran. In the process of Sadam's sentecing Iran war didnot came up which implied that the Americans controlled the process. However I am happy I withness this in mylife time.
dont forget all the shit he did to iraqis as well. he actually drove in a shiaa town & executed people himself!

Abedzaadeh

IPL Player
Jan 23, 2003
kam kam bayad ye tasliati beh aghayeh Massoudeh Rajavi ham beferesteem!

Saeed jan I appreciate all you say and the fact that Saddam was/is an anti Iranian monster. But this monster could not have layed a finger on us if it wasnt for the support of the West, let alone keill one million Iranians.He was just a tool used to start a convenient war.

If I had the choice of seeing the death of Saddam or those who backed him those years I'd choose the latter.

Bijan

Bench Warmer
Apr 18, 2004
Dear Saeedb,

Of course there cannot be any doubt about the damage Saddam Hossein brought to Iran and him being an enemy of our national confines, people and interests. And of course as a peace loving human being, and above all an Iranian, one cannot have sympathy for Saddam Hossein, as it was his army who filled up the entire Mashhad graveyards and killed/injured over a million of our dear compatriots. Next to that, he suppressed his own people and killed many.

But you have to take into consideration two aspects. The first concerns his actions and decisions; the second is about his trial.

1. As far as his internal politics goes, the only possible way of governance, from my point of view, which would ensure the maintenance of Iraq as a state and the protection of its sovereignty was dictatorship. Iraq is a 'fake country' in this sense that it has no national history which includes all ethnicities and therefore does not harbour some form of national identity: it is not a nation-state, in social scientific words, but simply a state. Iraq is the left-over-territory of the Ottoman Empire and covers two ethnicities: the Arabs and the Kurds. Both have historically as well as culturally almost nothing in common, except for the religion. The Kurds in general don't identify themselves with any existing country and especially not with Iraq: they are and have been separatists. That causes a huge gap between the Kurds and the Arabs. Then, the Arab ethnic group has an approximate 1380 year old serious religious rivalry which has divided them into the Shiits and the Soonits. The point being made is that not alone is there a complex division in religion and ethnicity, and not alone is there no national identity to refer to by the individual citizen, not alone is there a rivalry for the water and oil supplies, but mostly there is not the willingness, the readiness, to form a nation together, which could shoulder a (democratic) nation-state. Therefore, purely from this sociological given, there rests no other political option than dictatorship in Iraq to hold the country together. And now that not alone that dictatorship has gone, but also all the political, military and bureaucratic infrastructure of the previous state have been dismantled with it, Iraq is in conflict with itself and that we call a civil war. A civil war which sees more Iraqi's die and have a shortage of anything than in Saddam's days. That is the result of the sociological aspect I elaborated above. And the political consequence will be that Iraq will be left to be ruled by the Iraqi's themselves when the American costs become too high, and as the different groups have (at this moment and in the not-short future) from a national point of view incommensurable ideas about their future, themselves and the others, Iraq will be divided in two or probably three parts, three nations, and therefore three nation-states, which will only complicate the Kurdish situation, as Kurds from Iran, Turkey and Syria will obtain a legal ground to fight harder for separatism and join the (in the future) existing Kurdish state.

Now, if we hold this political impasse in which Saddam was situated when gaining power in our minds, and we add to that the fact that Saddam Hossein came from a milieu where coup d'etats were the daily order of business, and the fact that he gained and maintained power through Western support, one should not approve of, but understand the reasons for his dictatorship. Besides the fact that it is democratically wrong, but also the way Saddam exaggerated in his actions to hold everybody steady, cannot be approved from a moral point of view. But as I said, I wanted to create political understanding, not sympathy, for the impasse in which he was situated.

Then, the Iran-Iraq war was our fault. It was the Islamic Republic’s constant interference with Iraqi’s national issues that created a context for Saddam to attack. Besides that, Saddam was misled by the Americans, and Israelis, to go to war with us, because they wanted to weaken IR’s military strength and therefore their political influence on the Middle East. Again, it is not to create sympathy for the dictator that he was, but to create political understanding that we, and our “morally perfect” American friends, gave Saddam enough reason to attack.

2. Concerning the trial, I can be a lot shorter. I too, want to see Saddam penalized for his crimes against humanity and for the wrongdoings of his dictatorship. But I, as a humble individual, have two criteria: first of all the political impasse in which he was situated should be taken into consideration as a softening argument for his dictatorship, not for his crimes against humanity. Secondly, and most importantly, I want to see Saddam being brought to justice by a court that operates in a truly nationalistic and democratic nation-state --> I want him to be penalized by the people’s judges, not those of the US, the very same superpower that helped Saddam establish a dictatorship, maintain it and above all, from Iran’s point of view, gave Saddam the very same rockets to fire on our country and fill up our graveyards with our youth. In this court, I view Saddam as a victim of the puppet show that has been set up by the US in the Middle East after WW II. It is in an honest, democratic and nationalistic court where I can look at Saddam and think of the dictator and violator of human rights that he was.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
dear bijan,

very interesting post. the issue about who started the war is something that discussing on an online forum is a bit problematic, as emotions tend to get high too much. likewise, saddam was an animal like maybe few others before and after him, but his character and everything didn't seem too much of a problem for the people who brought him up.

some guy from kuwait I know once said, that when Iraq attacked Kuwait, he didn't even really notice it. There was no real fight to take over the city, they just came, said "we're now in power, you guys handle your business, but we just have the say" but we saw something different on TV. I don't know if it was really like that there, but anyway.

The bottom line is that America had no clue at all about what they are going to do, or maybe they even had one and this is all they planned. Saddam being hanged might make a lot of people happy, but at the end of the day, it won't change much about the fate and the problems of the region, and those problems are much more fundamental than this.

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
as much as i am in favour of the judgement, the fact that it is announced only two days before the US elections leaves u a sour taste in the mouth. this should have been done for the people of iraq, the shias, and the kurds, not for george W bush!

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
Abedzaadeh said:
kam kam bayad ye tasliati beh aghayeh Massoudeh Rajavi ham beferesteem!

Saeed jan I appreciate all you say and the fact that Saddam was/is an anti Iranian monster. But this monster could not have layed a finger on us if it wasnt for the support of the West, let alone keill one million Iranians.He was just a tool used to start a convenient war.

If I had the choice of seeing the death of Saddam or those who backed him those years I'd choose the latter.
I disagree. Indeed Sadam provoked Iran to war before revelution in shah's
time. Last time it was Algeria's president who meddeled and tried to bring peace between the two countries. Sadam was unti Persions. Persions were people he simply didn't like. Yes US and several Arabic countries asked him to attack Iran. This is true. But he has always been a treath to Iran. If this guy had the gots to invade Q8 why couldn't he refuse to attack Iran if it wasn't for his own pleasure? Sadam was mad at American's since he found out they sold weapons to Iran as well as Iraq. It was then he invaded Q8 and since then US wanted to remove him.

Abedzaadeh

IPL Player
Jan 23, 2003
Saeedb said:
I disagree. Indeed Sadam provoked Iran to war before revelution in shah's
time. Last time it was Algeria's president who meddeled and tried to bring peace between the two countries. Sadam was unti Persions. Persions were people he simply didn't like. Yes US and several Arabic countries asked him to attack Iran. This is true. But he has always been a treath to Iran. If this guy had the gots to invade Q8 why couldn't he refuse to attack Iran if it wasn't for his own pleasure? Sadam was mad at American's since he found out they sold weapons to Iran as well as Iraq. It was then he invaded Q8 and since then US wanted to remove him.
Yes but what could he do to Iran without the outside worlds help? Nothing.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
this will only increase the violence in Iraq. Bichareh Iraqis. The coalition forces and the corrupt thieves in charge of Iraq have no regard for the loss of civilian life in Iraq. It's simply shocking that they would announce the verdict in the midst of one of the worst and bloodiest periods since the occupation. Iraq is done. It's all over with now. From an Iranian perspective you now have to worry about the Kurdistan and the formation of Shia Arabistan which BTW many Shia Iraqis believe includes Khuzestan.

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
Ali(ISP) said:
as much as i am in favour of the judgement, the fact that it is announced only two days before the US elections leaves u a sour taste in the mouth. this should have been done for the people of iraq, the shias, and the kurds, not for george W bush!
the issue is that you are from europe. In the US the mental powers of comprehension and cognition and most importantly deduction of majority of population is probably equated to that of a hamster.

They don't get it.

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
keyvan_pars said:
the issue is that you are from europe. In the US the mental powers of comprehension and cognition and most importantly deduction of majority of population is probably equated to that of a hamster.

They don't get it.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

R_E_Z_A

IPL Player
Jan 16, 2004
Abedzaadeh said:
kam kam bayad ye tasliati beh aghayeh Massoudeh Rajavi ham beferesteem!.
Does he have an e-mail so that we can send him some "nice" e-mails to cheer him up? :D LOLLLLLLLLL

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
OK, I'm sick of always overlooking the crimes that Saddam committed against Iranians by SOME ... Saddam and his Arab clones can go to hell!!

Who gives a F**K about Iraqis ... Iranians ARE obsessed with Arab people when it's a fact they hate us (being sympathetic to their "plight" or whatever)... let them rot, who gives a F**K. The only good things Arabs ever produced was Zidane and he's Berber, not even Arab lol

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
I think he's getting off easy. Sagh-cum deserves much worse than mere hanging. He deserves the worst kinds of torture ever devised - or even worse. But hopefully God will take care of that.:--wink:

In my own family, I lost 2 relatives in their late teens. Almost every Iranian family, of every religious, ethnic, and political background had somebody killed as a result of this monster. He's killed hundreds of thousands of more people of Iraq. The only sentence that would fit him, in a court of law, is death. I can't imagine how somebody can enjoy killing and torturing so many people.

God bless all those he killed.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
18 posts and not one mention of how we are where we are. How unfair. So may I offer my lonely tribute on this board to the men and women of US armed forces who have so selflessly shed their blood on a foreign soil in return for nothing. Instead we see people waving pictures of that shekam gondeh mughtada Sadr who was nowhere to be found when Saddam was in power.