Sardar Azmoun already 5th best ever scorer in history of Team-Melli

Nov 24, 2002
All that at age of 21 only! The guy can easy finish second in this list, behind Daei, breaking Daei's record can be really tough though. So i did a small search and here is the list of top 10 scorers...
This is quite an elite list:

1)Ali Daei, 109 goals in 149 matches
2) Karim Bagheri, 50 goals in 87 matches
3)Javad Nekounam,39 goals in 151matches
4)Ali Karimi, 38 goals in 127 matches
5)Gholamhossein Mazloumi, 19 goals in 40 matches
6)Farshad Pious, 18 goals in 34 matches
7)Sardar Azmoun, 16 goals in 22 matches
8)Hamid Alidoosti, 15 goals in 27 matches
8) Vahid Hashemian, 15 goals in 50 matches
9)Naser Mohammadkhani, 14 goals in 27 matches
9)Hasan Roshan, 14 goals in 27 matches

9)Reza Ghoochannejhad, 14 goals in 31 matches
9)Parviz Ghelichkhani, 14 goals in 66 matches
10)Karim Ansarifard, 12 goals in 52 matches
10) Hamid Estili, 12 goals in 82 matches

YePaDoPa

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2002
Great achievement so far! Nothing is impossible. He can score 10 goals every year and Daei's record will be broken before you know it ;-)

Nov 24, 2002
^^^^ 10 per year is kind of a lot, unless we arrange few friendlies against like Maldive, Guam per year, even that, not sure we can score more than 3-4 goals against them anymore :)

Nov 24, 2002
-Quite interesting a guy like Azizi is not in list of top 10 scorer even(he scored 11 goals). Yaade harfe khoda biamorz Ranjbar zamane Blazevic oftadam ke gofte boud, Azizi ye goal be Australia zadeh ye omr dare nouneshou mikhore LOL! That was when Azizi had issues with Blazevic.
-Also 3 of top 10 are still part of TM, shows the depth in this position.

btw, i edited the list and added few.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Very interesting indeed. He is indeed very deadly in that position. And he has also scored most of the goals under our noses too. The one standing out is his fantastic goal in the Asian cup and indeed this Korea goal. I have to note that you are missing Behtash Fariba on your list (few others too/ I have attached a link for a more complete list). He has 12 goals and I know this because I had a discussion with someone about him and his goal ratio which was like 75% as he played 16 times for Iran and is a part of the burnt generation. In regards to Azmoun he soon will be 5th on the list and I hope his great form continues. With a little bit of maturity he will be something special indeed. 16 goal in 22 matches at 21 is indeed a great accomplishment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_national_football_team_records#Top_goalscorers

Nov 24, 2002
Very interesting indeed. He is indeed very deadly in that position. And he has also scored most of the goals under our noses too. The one standing out is his fantastic goal in the Asian cup and indeed this Korea goal. I have to note that you are missing Behtash Fariba on your list (few others too/ I have attached a link for a more complete list). He has 12 goals and I know this because I had a discussion with someone about him and his goal ratio which was like 75% as he played 16 times for Iran and is a part of the burnt generation. In regards to Azmoun he soon will be 5th on the list and I hope his great form continues. With a little bit of maturity he will be something special indeed. 16 goal in 22 matches at 21 is indeed a great accomplishment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_national_football_team_records#Top_goalscorers
I have seen almost everyone forward in this list play(other than Mazloumi and Roshan), and i can say with conviction in last almost 40 years no forward can match his talent, the guy out of his 16 goals not only scored some very crucial goals but also some beauties BUT he still has a lot of work to do to polish his game, i mean Daei's talent was no where close to him, no where even at his peak but he wouldn't waste half of opportunities Sardar had, i know he is only 21 but if he wants to take it to next step that is what he needs to work on that.

Nov 24, 2002
It is also interesting forwards like Changiz, Baavi, Garousi, Marfavi, Azizi, Faraki, Ghafour Jahani and few others all scored around 10 or less. I know the number of friendlies in past wasn't as now but still..

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Sardar is cruising towards becoming the best and most lethal striker in Asian football history .

There are only two players I can think of that could score and be lethal goal scorers and none of them were strikers ,a winger called Hassan Roshan and a midfielder called Karim Bagheri .

Roshan with 15 goals in 27 games and Bagheri with 50 goals in 87 games ,very impressive considering they were not strikers and their goal ratio is something to be proud of ,and most of their goals were spectacular and vital .

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Now I am a huge CQ fan, but do people think he made a mistake not taking him to world cup? I did, and still do.

Azmoun is a young guy that needed to grow up a bit and become more mature in his game and life before taken to the next level. And also CQ goes by what's the best for the team at that time and he already had his forwards set for the WC and with the strategy in place. Sardar is a really nice guy and he actually had a FB page that he use to interact with people till right before the WC team that was picked. I would say even a bit too much I would say rather than focusing on his game but that's not for me to say and based on team rules and guidelines may have been fine. Once he was not picked he shut it down and I have not seen him since. After the WC he has been great for Iran and he is only 21 so still a very young lad. If he continues to improve he can truly be deadly for many yeas to come and safeguard that position. His goal was indeed a special beauty.

Feb 4, 2005
If he stays humble and keeps on learning and hopefully won't get badly injured he will easily break into high double digit for sure and maybe even break Daei's record. Extremely smart striker. I love his goals.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Actually it's not really about Azmoun himself when it comes to scoring lots of goals. Iran as a team is not scoring enough goals to generate a challenge for top scorers.

When Daei ascended to those numbers, Iran was a scoring machine with some terrible losses at crucial moments. Everyone was scoring goals left and right. True there were some really weak opponents that helped Iran's cause, but there was no hesitation if the opportunity presented itself.

Iran's current strategy will rarely produce a high-scoring game which is what's needed for top numbers. Azmoun can only hope to score a maximum of 3-4 goals/year if he stays the main striker.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Another unrelated observation is, given that Bagheri was playing as central and attacking midfielder for a period of time, it's unbelievable to see that a defensive midfielder like Nekounam would end up in third place in the all time top scorers' list!

THAT to me is the greatest record after Daei's!

Nov 24, 2002
Javad was special player, people can bash him as much as they want(and actually i don't get that because when he started to slow down he retired unless Daei while as DM he could still play in TM and CQ still wanted him so it was purely his own decision to retire) but the guy was a clutch in TM, you can rely on him when the game was tight. Bagheri's 50 goal is amazing no doubt but he played the major part of his career and his prime as CAM and as Soroush said in much more offensive talented teams, while Javad was a DM and he played 10 years in much less talented teams.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Javad was special player, people can bash him as much as they want(and actually i don't get that because when he started to slow down he retired unless Daei while as DM he could still play in TM and CQ still wanted him so it was purely his own decision to retire) but the guy was a clutch in TM, you can rely on him when the game was tight. Bagheri's 50 goal is amazing no doubt but he played the major part of his career and his prime as CAM and as Soroush said in much more offensive talented teams, while Javad was a DM and he played 10 years in much more less talented teams.
Not the least that this kind of record of his, was not only in TM and for Iran but also at club level in Europe! He was among top 2-3 in one of the seasons in Osasuna! It's really really impressive for a defensive midfielder! I still can not understand why he never went to a better team in La liga where he deserved to play!

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Not the least that this kind of record of his, was not only in TM and for Iran but also at club level in Europe! He was among top 2-3 in one of the seasons in Osasuna! It's really really impressive for a defensive midfielder! I still can not understand why he never went to a better team in La liga where he deserved to play!
Because he was slow as fuck.

He was good on set pieces and that's it. When it came to game-flow, man... I don't even want to say anything because whatever I say will sound very harsh! LOL!

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004

He was good on set pieces and that's it. When it came to game-flow, man... I don't even want to say anything because whatever I say will sound very harsh! LOL!

Javad is considered one of the most consistent players in Iranian history that you can always count on to deliver his game day on and day off. For that he was very dependable to perform based on his skills and had long consistent careers both with in club and national level. The speed matter is a different story and he is not the player to actually take the game forward in that matter. It would be good to have players with his style and consistency right in the middle. I am hoping Ezzatollahi can fill that gap with his presence and is also able to push forward more.

Nov 24, 2002
It is not like Team-Melli had speedy Gonzales as DM in past, that is why CQ for faster transition is using Hajsafi who is a LB as DM next to Saeid and so far it works!!!!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002

With or without speed, he was hands down one of the absolute best players in a la liga team! As a defensive midfielder, he could match scoring record of a striker! After such a career in both club and country, it's very unfair and irresponsible to say he was good on set pieces and that's it! Nekounam was the most successful player we've had together with Mahdavikia and nothing and no one can take that away from him! His records are clear!