Share your unpopular football opinons

Oct 1, 2004
1 - The World Cup is more competitive and exciting than the Euro Cup and Champions League Group Stage.
2 - The Champions League Group Stage is shit.

I have more but this is the first 2 I can think of.

I am pretty sure many people are going to post "TM sucks" :)

Nov 24, 2002
The champions league group stage quality dropped with 32 teams format and few Tokhmi teams there, no doubt about that, but you can say the same thing about WC with 32 and soon to be 48!

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
No football comes close to Champions League. None.
I didn't see the unpopular part. In that case rules have to be put inplace to make the sport more exciting. I watch 30 in 90 and that is all I need because 60 minutes of the game is boring with back passes and unnecessary calls by refs.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
1) Champions League Group Stage is rubbish and all former European cup competitions had a better format than the crap we see now.
2) European League, European Superleague or whatever you want to call it is inevitable.
3) World Cup Wins are fucking meaningless.
4) The greatest football player of the 90ies was by far Roberto Baggio.
5) National Team football is emotionally nice but from a quality perspective a waste of time and meaningless.
6) Nation states as constructed from the 19th century onwards are a big reason for our misery and a fucking piece of crap idea, that will hopefully die in 100-200 years as a terrible idea.

Oh sorry, it was supposed to be football only. Well...

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
I didn't see the unpopular part. In that case rules have to be put inplace to make the sport more exciting. I watch 30 in 90 and that is all I need because 60 minutes of the game is boring with back passes and unnecessary calls by refs.
Does everyone who moves to the US get automatically ADD? Serious question! Does it come with the Green Card?

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Does everyone who moves to the US get automatically ADD? Serious question! Does it come with the Green Card?
What? You don't think there are too many calls? Last I heard football was a contact sport but every 3 minutes the game is held up for contact.

Oct 1, 2004
The champions league group stage quality dropped with 32 teams format and few Tokhmi teams there, no doubt about that, but you can say the same thing about WC with 32 and soon to be 48!
The 48 team World Cup will destroy the World Cup as we know it. It will never be the same.

Champions League group stage is just an excuse for bigger teams to beat the shit out of some badbakht poor teams and then get serious in the QF stage.

The 32 team World Cup is more competitive than 24 team Euro Cup.

Oct 1, 2004
European League, European Superleague or whatever you want to call it is inevitable.
Yes, they have been pushing for this monstrosity since 99 at least, no?

World Cup Wins are fucking meaningless.
Each individual game? or the whole tournament?

The greatest football player of the 90ies was by far Roberto Baggio.
Jimbo, is that you???
Honorable mention for Bergkamp. I'm being nostaglic, but damn he was beautiful. Why did he fail in Italy?

National Team football is emotionally nice but from a quality perspective a waste of time and meaningless.
I find the quality actually decreases once the bigger teams are left standing, simply because they're afraid of losing. World CUp 2014 was a good example of this (except for Brazil, lol).
World Cup 1998 was peak of quality for me. I know our more experienced members will say 82 and 86.
My father still says 1970!

Nation states as constructed from the 19th century onwards are a big reason for our misery and a fucking piece of crap idea, that will hopefully die in 100-200 years as a terrible idea.
For Europe (especially the East) I'd agree.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
48 team WC and 24 team Euro is utterly a shitty idea and will prove to be very shitty with the number of low quality games we see. Already in the 32 team WC there are some shitty games but not to the extend of adding 50% more teams to the competition. Mathematically and quality wise will be shit.

Iranian players will always have a weak mentality despite who is the leader. CQ has done a great job and I love him but you see how they fold under pressure and in their clubs. This will always remain.

Beiranvand will become a legend!!! That's my wishful thinking trying to change his shit form!

Valderamma in my opinion is one of the best passers ever. I would put him top 3!

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
What? You don't think there are too many calls? Last I heard football was a contact sport but every 3 minutes the game is held up for contact.
It all depends on the referee. Lots of referees let a lot of fouls go and also if two teams try to play football, it’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Each individual game? or the whole tournament?
Whole tournament. 4 weeks, every 4 years, totally meaningless crap

Jimbo, is that you???
Honorable mention for Bergkamp. I'm being nostaglic, but damn he was beautiful. Why did he fail in Italy?
Not his football. Same for Laudrup. Neither really Baggio’s.

I find the quality actually decreases once the bigger teams are left standing, simply because they're afraid of losing. World CUp 2014 was a good example of this (except for Brazil, lol).
World Cup 1998 was peak of quality for me. I know our more experienced members will say 82 and 86.
My father still says 1970!
My favorite World Cup is 90 but it was rubbish. But I will always say it was the best tournament. Why? Nostalgia! Nostalgia is rubbish.

For Europe (especially the East) I'd agree.
Why Europe? Look at Africa and the crap they call borders and nations. Or Middle East.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
1. There are not many world class players (great stars) today compared to the 90's/early 2000.

2. If Messi and C. Ronaldo in their form and strength they've been during the past few years, played back in the 90's / early 2000, they would only be yet 2 other great players. They wouldn't have had dominated the world football as they do now.

3. Ronaldinho in his top form was the best football player to ever walk the earth. No one has been able to beat him yet. The words, alien or non-human was never best suited someone than when used to describe his skills.

to be continued...

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Salary cap in football is a must. Rich clubs are ruining the spirit of competition and the beautiful game.
Fifa should be exactly like NFL. Remote referees and video technology, coach's challenge, 2 times 1 minute time outs per team per half.
No more than 3 non-native players in each club.
No offside calls after the lineman's flag goes up, unless its 100% obvious. Let the video technology confirm.