Should video replay “correct” refereeing mistakes?

peyz

Bench Warmer
Oct 11, 2004
Should video replay “correct” refereeing mistakes?

I understand the Fifa officials desperately trying to maintain tradition and resist change. But there are times & occasions where the injustice or “mistakes” are too vivid & detectable and their result, overwhelming and too consequential to stay quiet.

I am not talking about wrong offside calls or regular fouls during the game, since pausing for video replays will kill the momentum of the game and I’m sure Fifa officials will strike it down. I’m talking about instances where a goal is scored, yet is not allowed, or vice versa.
Instances like Maradona’s hand of god. Or recent Man-u vs Chelsea’s Giggs lunge, or … .

Latest case is what happened during SS-Ahvaz vs. Mes-Kerman game, where the equalizer is called off a shot that hit the bar and controversy rose regarding the ball crossing the line.

I haven’t seen the incident, but if the claims are correct and the ball did not cross, then a grave injustice has occurred and it deserves to be corrected.
The officials can examine video replays and rule based on that.
Just because we say “to err is human” it doesn’t mean it cannot be rectified!
Afterall such mistakes have great costs, as is in this case.
SS-A have never been in a position to win the trophy, and God knows if they’ll ever be again.
They have worked extremely hard in the season to get to this position. It is just too much to bear to see it taken away not because of their failures, but due to a mistake that can easily be corrected.

Now, I am not saying we stop the game for every suspicious call as it is not logical. We cant stop for video replay for every fouls, or even offisides or … and I’m sure Fifa will never accept.
But we cant at least restrict it to calls on the “balls crossing the goal line”.
Here, no-one can really talk about “delaying” the game as this doesn’t happen all that very often, and it IS a major decision and has direct effect on the fate of the game, also afterall, there are delays in shape of injuries to players ( fake or not ), substitutions, even celebrations after a goal. All these are allowed in the game.
So a 15-20 second review of the incident will not hamper the momentum extraordinarily as it happens during all those other incidents, but this 15-20 seconds can BRING JUSTICE and FAIRNESS back to the game.
a few seconds spent, but justice done ADDS FAR MORE VALUE TO THE GAME than persisting with injustice that leaves a negative mark and sometimes, hate & dejection in everyone.
a few seconds, and the score-board can announce "goal or no goal".
but the righteous is defended.
it's a win-all situation.

They have tried and succeeded this method in Cricket.
They take some 15-20 seconds to decide on a call by the umpire ( ref ) from different angles and rule on that; out or not out.
I believe this is imminently possible within the structure of football.

Hell, there are “FAKE” injuries that have taken much much more than that from the game time and still Fifa sits quiet.
I think for the sake of fairness, Fifa can practice this “patience” in far more positive and fairer ways.

Imagine if Man-U had this rule to check for their goal against Chelsea. It’d have been Man-U , instead of Chelsea, lifting the cup. Maybe.
Or so many other instances where injustice prevailed even AFTER everyone from match officials to Fifa to … agreed a call was the wrong one.
It doesnt happen often. but when it does, it has DIRE consequences on the team, tournament, and football itself.
I believe this can be added to Fifa rule books. Just as they are open to try out two referees or advancing a freekick if objected to or .... . They have NOTHING to lose and EVERYTHING to gain.

Maintaining traditions is good.
But maintaining the rights and spirit of fairness is just as much important as the game itself…. If not more.

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Aziz, this is a tired old argument and FIFA would never budge! Rightfully so too in my opinion.

Your argument has no merit. An incorrect offside call could be just as crucial as a goal allowed/disasllowed incorrectly! Same as a foul in backplay leading to a goal. Point is you can't pick and choose which scenario to use a video for. You either use it for everything or not at all. In my opinion it will open pandora's box to use video on certain things and not others. Please note, this is a global game and not an american sport and not every country has the technology to support video replays (or the money to finance its use).

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
I believe technology should be inserted into the ball to determine whenever it has crossed the goal-line or not. But for NOTHING ELSE. No video replays needed. Just a chip.

Case in point: Pedro Mendes scores from 50 yards against United a couple of seasons ago with the ball being a full yard in the goal but Carroll picks it out and the ref says play on.

Carlos Tevez "scores" against Blackburn when the ball hasnt even come close to crossing the line this season, giving West Ham a 2-1 win.

Blackburn score against Bolton earlier this season, but the ref says the ball didnt cross the line when it so clearly did.

Im sure there are many other occassions...

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
i don't mind the chip thing as long as they get it 100% foolproof. remember cyclops in tennis that were/are used to whistle when the ball goes wide? How many times did they just go off for no reason? If they can get it 100% then I'm all for it. No video though!

peyz

Bench Warmer
Oct 11, 2004
dear sporthead, why cant it be used for one specific reason?
there's no rule that says either none or all.

I know fifa's reluctance about using video in the game, that's why I said restrict it to this incident only.
And it's not as if it happens in each and every game.
AND CERTAINLY IT'S NOT AS IF THE GAME DOESNT GET HALTED FOR ALL SORTS OF UNSPORTSMAN-LIKE BEHAVIOR LIKE FAKING INJURIES OR FIGHTS OR ..... !

exactly HOW MANY times do you think such an incident would arise in a game ?
baba , this happens once in every 10-15 GAMES ....... at best !
it's not as if we're ruining each and every game by stopping it 4-5 times !

next time u watch a game, plz calculate how many stoppages occur for injuries and subs.
calculate how long it takes to start the game.
it is rarely less than 20 seconds.

warning: do NOT take gulf nation's games, coz then you dont need a stop watch. a bloody sand-clock would be enough !