Some Suggestions for The Chosen People!!

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008

Had a meeting with a Jewish lawyer, a very well known andrespected guy in our community - prominent and very well connected. Let’s just say he has flown in more thanone presidential jet. We clicked and our discussion was going allover the place until out of nowhere he told me: “I swear to god, we (Jews) arenot the biggest world power”. I justtold him “I know – otherwise 6 million of you would not have been killed in 5years”. Anyways – that discussion triggered thisthread ….

My 3 suggestions to the Chosen People:

First of all - don’t call yourselves the chosen people, evenif like us Persians, you really think you are!! Lol
Two – When someone asks where you are from, don’t say youare Jewish – they did not ask about your faith. You see my fellow humans, you can’t go andsettle in anyone’s backyard without at least acknowledging their culture, adoptthe good, and try to fix the bad aspects of it.
Third – Stop manipulating Arts globally. You can advertise your views and beliefs asmuch as you like, but you can’t corner the market on who gets to present theirviews.

I as one Persian can far better get along with unorthodoxJews than I can with even Liberal Arabs. Lol At least you do not force-feedyour culture and views.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
I know many many Jewish Americans. Not a single one has said "Jewish" in response to "where are you from?"
My thoughts too. Why would you even ask a jew who I am sure you know is American, where he is from? I don't even respond to that question anymore. Honestly, I am not even sure.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
My thoughts too. Why would you even ask a jew who I am sure you know is American, where he is from? I don't even respond to that question anymore. Honestly, I am not even sure.
The simplest question Americans ask each other is where someone is from!! I am from Dayton Ohio....I am from Pittsburgh or Chicago, or New York....everyone is from somewhre - some geographical location.......what part of it is hard to understand? You adapt the life of where you live........like it or not you become part of the environment you live in ........If it is in Austria, then you are Austrian.....regardless if you like Mohammad or Moses.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
The simplest question Americans ask each other is where someone is from!! I am from Dayton Ohio....I am from Pittsburgh or Chicago, or New York....everyone is from somewhre - some geographical location.......what part of it is hard to understand? You adapt the life of where you live........like it or not you become part of the environment you live in ........If it is in Austria, then you are Austrian.....regardless if you like Mohammad or Moses.
I second your sentiment. In fact, that is how I ended my post. The problem is when people ask US where we are from they really don't want to hear Dayton. This is specially true with other foreigners and especially those who have no business asking the question. They are just nosy so I leave them wondering.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Two – When someone asks where you are from, don’t say youare Jewish – they did not ask about your faith.

Just a clarification that Judaism is more a culture than faith, at least to Jewish people. So saying "I am Jewish" is not that different to Jewish folks than "I am Persian".

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Just a clarification that Judaism is more a culture than faith, at least to Jewish people. So saying "I am Jewish" is not that different to Jewish folks than "I am Persian".
Don't know about that....to most Judism is a faith not ethnicity or a nationality.........I do understand what may have driven Jews to such reaction, but that reaction may very well be the source of their problem being estranged or driven away from lands.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser

Had a meeting with a Jewish lawyer, a very well known andrespected guy in our community - prominent and very well connected. Let’s just say he has flown in more thanone presidential jet. We clicked and our discussion was going allover the place until out of nowhere he told me: “I swear to god, we (Jews) arenot the biggest world power”. I justtold him “I know – otherwise 6 million of you would not have been killed in 5years”. Anyways – that discussion triggered thisthread ….
I want to know what happened next...Did he he excuse himself to the bathroom and never came back?

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
I want to know what happened next...Did he he excuse himself to the bathroom and never came back?
Exactly....while mumbling some words that sounded lik dirty moselm pig.....or something like that.
No Actualy - ha gave me a hug - has been calling every day. You see he needs my approval on a project.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Don't know about that....to most Judism is a faith not ethnicity or a nationality.........I do understand what may have driven Jews to such reaction, but that reaction may very well be the source of their problem being estranged or driven away from lands.
Not really!

Jews are considered as ethnoreligious group and for them culture, religion and nationality are all interrelated. There are many jews in the world who may not even believe in god but still consider themselves as jews, because they all believe Judaism is nationality. Probably that is why your friend answered it that way.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
ethnoreligious
I know.....we have some Bahaiis in Iran who do the same. Bottom line is they undermine local nationalism wherever they live - which I consider harmful. My point is maybe that is partly what hurt these people over the centuries.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
I know.....we have some Bahaiis in Iran who do the same. Bottom line is they undermine local nationalism wherever they live - which I consider harmful. My point is maybe that is partly what hurt these people over the centuries.
Masoud jAn,

Not really.

Baheis have the highest regard for Iran, more than any other Iranian whom I know. Their regard for Iran exceed muslims regard for Mekka. Iran is birth place of their religon after all. Abdul-Baha (The heir to Bahaollah) wrote wonders about Iran and predicts Iran will return to her past glory very soon. Here is an excerpt from his book about Iran.

O people of Persia! Look into those blossoming pages that tell of another day, a time long past. Read them and wonder; see the great sight. Írán in that day was as the heart of the world; she was the bright torch flaming in the assemblage of mankind. Her power and glory shone out like the morning above the world’s horizons, 7 and the splendor of her learning cast its rays over East and West. Word of the widespread empire of those who wore her crown reached even to the dwellers in the arctic circle, and the fame of the awesome presence of her King of Kings humbled the rulers of Greece and Rome. The greatest of the world’s philosophers marveled at the wisdom of her government, and her political system became the model for all the kings of the four continents then known. She was distinguished among all peoples for the scope of her dominion, she was honored by all for her praiseworthy culture and civilization. She was as the pivot of the world, she was the source and center of sciences and arts, the wellspring of great inventions and discoveries, the rich mine of human virtues and perfections. The intellect, the wisdom of the individual members of this excellent nation dazzled the minds of other peoples, the brilliance and perceptive genius that characterized all this noble race aroused the envy of the whole world.
If interested to you read more here.
http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/ab/SDC/sdc-1.html

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
Saying 'jewish' is every bit as valid as saying 'persian' or 'armenian' unless you ask someone where they live - which was not the context of your question in this case. Jewish in itself is a culture, religion and a race/ethnicity. If you question why a jew would say jewish without indicating a specific land then you have to do the same for a persian or armenian. What is then the correct answer according to you for persian or armenian who was born in states or canada?

Last edited:

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Dear IDM
Armenia and Persia are countries.

Dear Motori,
Bahaiis believe in Jahan Vatani - at least that is my info.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
Dear IDM
Armenia and Persia are countries.

Dear Motori,
Bahaiis believe in Jahan Vatani - at least that is my info.

Sorry buddy there is no persia anywhere on world map. And an armenian from syria, russia, iran, lebanon, turkey,...would not say 'Armenia', they say armenian. Same as when a jew from europe or US may say jewish and not 'from israel'.

navid007

Bench Warmer
Jul 23, 2005
InDaMoneyz jan what you're saying doesn't make scene ! lets say you're having a conversation with someone who tells you he's Armenian and you ask where is that and they will respond i.e. they were born in Iran or canada or syria or russia, but his parents are from Armenia or they tell you they are iranian armanian... or if someone says he's persian, if you ask them where is that, they will respond that country is currently called Iran. ( I personally think people who are not comfortable with saying they are from Iran usually use the term persian, which I have no problem with, but both countries still exist on the map ).

what would be the response of someone from 'Jewish' ?

Sorry buddy there is no persia anywhere on world map. And an armenian from syria, russia, iran, lebanon, turkey,...would not say 'Armenia', they say armenian. Same as when a jew from europe or US may say jewish and not 'from israel'.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
InDaMoneyz jan what you're saying doesn't make scene ! lets say you're having a conversation with someone who tells you he's Armenian and you ask where is that and they will respond i.e. they were born in Iran or canada or syria or russia, but his parents are from Armenia or they tell you they are iranian armanian... or if someone says he's persian, if you ask them where is that, they will respond that country is currently called Iran. ( I personally think people who are not comfortable with saying they are from Iran usually use the term persian, which I have no problem with, but both countries still exist on the map ).

what would be the response of someone from 'Jewish' ?
but that is not the question. The context of the question " where are you from " is typically not about where one physically comes from but what ethnicity or nationality one has. In that sense one can say persian, armenian, jewish etc...then if you like to know where that is then you can ask speciafically well what country is that? response may then be country specific. Jewish from russia, armenian from turjey etc...

What is the correct answer for example for the next generation of iranian kids who have been born in US or canada when asked 'where are you from'?