Sorry Hadad, Belgium is no IRI

Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
BBC ;

Iranians in Belgian alcohol row

Belgians are great beer- and wine lovers

Iranian officials on a visit to Belgium have upset their hosts by trying to ban alcohol from the lunch table and refusing to shake women's hands.

Belgium's parliament speaker, Herman De Croo, decided to cancel a lunch rather than hosting a meal with no wine.

Strict Islamic teaching instructs Muslims to avoid looking at alcohol, as well as to avoid drinking it.

Belgian Senate president Anne-Marie Lizin later cancelled talks with the visitors over the handshake issue.

"We tried to find a solution, but they held fast to their position of not wanting to shake her hand," spokesman Patrick Peremans said.

The Senate said the meeting with the 12-strong delegation had been called off because of the "continued refusal" of Ms Lizin's counterpart to shake her hand.

Earlier, the alcohol row cost the Iranians their lunch with Mr De Croo.

"I did not receive such demands in writing. But ... I was indirectly asked not to serve alcohol," Mr De Croo told the newspaper De Standaard.

"Even for someone tolerant like Herman De Croo, that's going a bit far," he added.

Mr De Croo will meet the Iranians for one-hour talks on Friday instead.

'No toasting'

A spokesman for parliament confirmed that the Iranians would not have been expected to join their Belgian hosts in drinking or toasting.

"Guests are not obliged to have alcohol, but we didn't want to bow to outside rules," the spokesman said, adding that Belgian deputies had chosen to "stick to Western customs".

The delegation is led by the head of the conservative Tehran assembly, Gholam Ali Hadad Adel. Iran has just taken the world by surprise by electing a new hardline president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Several EU officials have voiced concern over Iran's new course despite the president-elect's pledge to continue nuclear talks.

Pey_man

Bench Warmer
Dec 21, 2004
My dutch friend told me about this, I didn't know how to respond. I just said, it was stupid of both sides not to reach a compromise on such a small issue. How would you respond?

Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
Pey_man said:
My dutch friend told me about this, I didn't know how to respond. I just said, it was stupid of both sides not to reach a compromise on such a small issue. How would you respond?
This has become a common happening for last 26 years.
I would just try to explain that Iran is very diverse nation, just like most large nation.There are modern people and old fashion fanatics.Right now the course of history has it rolling for backwarded fanatics, but they and their customs don't represent all iranians. There are believers of religion that have adapted to modern life and then they are fanatic old fashion that have hard time leaving 17th century behind.
Explain your stand, and let them be the judge.
It really doesn't matter in final run what they 9 forigners) think, but more important is how you want to feel to be associated or not associated with these people.

JazzedUp

Bench Warmer
Dec 1, 2002
London
How embrassing! The thing is if Belgians were in visiting Iran it would be undersandable but you go to someone else's country you have to respect their traditions.

Farzadoo

Bench Warmer
Oct 22, 2002
Washington DC
Gooreh pedareh alcohol, martikeh aghalan shake the woman's hand. Khak too sareshoon keh hameh chiz ro beh sex rabt midan. Let me get this straight, if some mullah said the sigheh verse, then could they have shaken hands with the female representatives? Ashtar, and other religious fanatics, I await your enlightening response.

Old-Faraz

Bench Warmer
Mar 19, 2004
This is really stupid on both sides, since they are trying to force their norm on the other party.

1- Hadad or any body else has the right to refuse bodily contact if it is against his beliefs, etc. No one should force this on him. Would we force our western friends to kiss us (man-o-man) since it is our norm?

2- Hadad has no right to force others observe his belief, which is not consuming alcohol with their meal.

Both parties are stupidly posturing for their own constituencies. It seems as though all of the world problems are resolved, except whether or not to shake hands or have a beer.

Simply Ken

IPL Player
Mar 2, 2003
If I am invited for lunch somewhere, I prefer there will be plenty of wine served. The more ladies around to shake hands with, the better too, especially if they are good looking.

But if I am trying to mend fences with a political leader from Iran, knowing that in Iran political leaders can get in trouble if seen in circumstances where wine is served, and if I wanted to be a good host, I would arrange a lunch with no wine on the menu.

On the other hand, if I wanted to mend fences on my terms, letting the other side know who is the boss, I wouldn't give a rats ass about my guests sensitivities.

naomid

Ball Boy
Dec 28, 2003
kavir
ken, I enjoyed the reasoning you gave. It is good to see the humor side of you ;-).

Didn't we go through this with the French? That was solved somehow, although not without some back and forthing. Individually some folks in Iran would go along with the issues, it is the prevalent norms that prevent them from.

Jan 29, 2004
I wanna see the Belgians serve pork to Israelies next time they come over for a visit :D I also think Ahmadinejad shoud start serving donalan and kalepache at official luncheons for EU visitors, heheh!

Jun 16, 2005
I do not agree with Haddad and co. I don't think that they do things like this to show their principles.

However, next time the foreign diplomats come to Iran, we should slaughter a ship or goat in front of them to show our respect (isn't that our tradition?)

Oct 18, 2002
I heard Khamenei or somebody else was going to issue a fatwa to allow handshaking for our diplomatic corps. It seems the issue was getting too embarrassing.

:)

naomid

Ball Boy
Dec 28, 2003
kavir
Chief, add to that "cheshm 0 maghz o sirAbi shirdoon" :)) followed by some aragh sagi va must o khiar. Then the Belgians will know what proper hospitality is all about.

PouyaFatemi

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
Dallas, Tx
This is rather retarded on both sides. Not shaking hands is just ridiculous. The Belgians also seem more interested in showing who's the boss than to resolve the issue.

Nevertheless, i find it embarrasing that officials from my country behave in such childish manners. Sigh...

ferdosi

Bench Warmer
Apr 21, 2004
Chief said:
I wanna see the Belgians serve pork to Israelies next time they come over for a visit :D I also think Ahmadinejad shoud start serving donalan and kalepache at official luncheons for EU visitors, heheh!

GOOOZ be shaghighe che rabti dareh.

Yeah sure if you and IRI consider Kalepache a national food. Go ahead and do it. Then the foreigners that come to our country have the right to refuse eating it, BUT they CAN'T tell you that it can't be on the table.

With other words he could (because of his belief) refuse toasting and drinking, BUT telling them that they CAN'T have it on the table is just RUDE and RETARDED.

On the handshake I have no comment. JUST EMBERASSING.

It's like someone who is vegetarian would come to my house and tell me that because he/she doesn't eat meat, nobody has the right to eat meat. I would just tell her/him FUCK OFF.