speeding ticket - i think im screwed

derek

Ball Boy
Feb 19, 2005
canada
hi. last night (midnight) i was pulled over on highway 401 by a cop in canada. i can go to court. but what can i say there? my english isnt so great and i havent been in such a situation before. i was going way over 100 so what should i say to defend myself? thanks for advice in advance.

Behdad

National Team Player
Nov 7, 2004
Toronto, Canada
www.PersianWay.com
Well over half the times that you go to court the officer wont show up, therfore the case will be close and you dont have to pay anything. Worst case scenerio is that the office will show up and again you pay the ticket. It is well woth the try!

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I don't know how things work in Canada, but here in Pepsi, oops, I mean US, if you don't have any other tickets for 2 years, you can go to traffic school. You still have to pay the ticket, and pay for traffic school on top of that, but the ticket won't get recorded, so you won't have to pay extra insurance etc. I hope this helps. Any Canadian residents out there to help?

Pey_man

Bench Warmer
Dec 21, 2004
Khorus said:
I don't know how things work in Canada, but here in Pepsi, oops, I mean US, if you don't have any other tickets for 2 years, you can go to traffic school. You still have to pay the ticket, and pay for traffic school on top of that, but the ticket won't get recorded, so you won't have to pay extra insurance etc. I hope this helps. Any Canadian residents out there to help?
I also don't know about canada, but in US, when you go to court, the judge asks you if you want to plead guilty or not guily. If you say not guilty, then you have to come back another time, and prove it. But if you say guilty, then he just tells you to go to traffic school one day for 3, 4 hours. If you go to court, and it's your first time, you won't have to pay the ticket cost, but you have to pay court cost, which is the same amount if not more. But your record will be clear.

So, just go there and tell the judge you plead guilty, and go to driving school, and bring back the proof on the date he sets for you.

JazzedUp

Bench Warmer
Dec 1, 2002
London
Interesting, over here in NZ if you get pulled over by a cop for speeding you get fined and that's it you also get demerit points as well but get wiped out after 2 years. You can go to court to challenge it but it's not really worth it.

If you get caught by speed cameras you only get a fine but no demerit points.

Mar 31, 2005
The main thing is that you are not screwed. You did something wrong and you gonna pay for it. I think if you plead no contest and just make up a little story and tell them it's your first time and you have never done that before.... they may make it less. Take a buddy with you if your english isn't very good, and dress nicely, show them that your respect the court....but the main thing is you aren't screwed, or are you?

Jan 26, 2005
I do not know anything about the rules in Canada and US, but I know all you got to do in Iran is to pay 25% to 50% of the fine directly to whoever is in charge, they will be more than happy to let you go. Like you, my English is not that great, so I can not be of any further help to you in this regard. BTW, don’t forget to tell the judge I said hi.

peyman

Ball Boy
Oct 18, 2002
montreal, canada
ok... this is where my specialties come in!
mokhlesam!
arz shavad ke kheili moheme ke aya there was just one cop or two. agar 2ta boodan ke forget it, just go pay ur ticket! if there was only one, check ur ticket and see if he has written anywhere that u were alone (they sometimes do). anyways... after sending the ticket back with the pleed non-guilty and blah blah... and when u get a court date.. go well dressed with a friend as a witness. then u say that u were in the fast lane of 401 doing the speed limit, but there was a car in the middle lane going faster and when the cop GUNNED... he really got that car... but because u were in the fast lane and it was nite u got pulled over.. there r so many different things u can say that have actually worked! it all depends! and its written on ur ticket how the cop got u, if it was laser or not.. u can even contest that the cop didnt show me the laser once he stopped me and blah blah.. dont worry.. as ssomeone else here said 99% of the times the cop doesnt even show up.
in worst cases, if u lose the case u can ask the judge to pay it in installements.

if there's any other info do not hesitate to contact me.

Pey_man

Bench Warmer
Dec 21, 2004

abe hoezi said:
BTW, don’t forget to tell the judge I said hi.

peyman said:
ok... this is where my specialties come in!
mokhlesam!
arz shavad ke kheili moheme ke aya there was just one cop or two. agar 2ta boodan ke forget it, just go pay ur ticket! if there was only one, check ur ticket and see if he has written anywhere that u were alone (they sometimes do). anyways... after sending the ticket back with the pleed non-guilty and blah blah... and when u get a court date.. go well dressed with a friend as a witness. then u say that u were in the fast lane of 401 doing the speed limit, but there was a car in the middle lane going faster and when the cop GUNNED... he really got that car... but because u were in the fast lane and it was nite u got pulled over.. there r so many different things u can say that have actually worked! it all depends! and its written on ur ticket how the cop got u, if it was laser or not.. u can even contest that the cop didnt show me the laser once he stopped me and blah blah.. dont worry.. as ssomeone else here said 99% of the times the cop doesnt even show up.
in worst cases, if u lose the case u can ask the judge to pay it in installements.

if there's any other info do not hesitate to contact me.
LOL!:D I was wrong! Listen to these experts! I almost forgot that us Iranians always find ways around these kind of stuff. I guess I'm becoming to Americanized ........:D . Just remember ... occasionally things go terribly wrong for us (e.g. the judge is Iranian and a regular visitor of this forum!) , but that's just cuz our luck! .......

By the way .... Good Luck :D

May 2, 2003
Lol, this sure brings back memories of my university days. Ok, there were two ways I used to get out of paying the fine. First, on the day of your court date, call and say you are sick and you want to get another date. The cop will show up and you are not there. On your second court date, again call with another excuse and reschedule. On your third court date, show up and I promise you the cop won't be there and the case will be dismissed.
The other way is to go to your friendly mechanic and get an invoice stating that your odometer was broken and you had it fixed there. I did this and the judge forgave the fine but gave me the points anyway.
Good luck bud