Spyware

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
Is there any of you who know a free syware remover program?
I think my computer is attacked by spyware. I would like to
save 34$ for that.

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks a lot to Farsi zaban and Behrang. I just used spybot. How can I check if
it has done what it should? It still runs slow though faster than before!

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
It should have told you how many things it fixed so you would know. I would also download Hijackthis so it can tell you what is running on your system, so you can see if there are some items that should not be there. It will also allow you to fix ones you are sure are bad. You do have to be careful because it shows you everything good and bad, so only fix things that you are sure are bad.There are also some more specific spyware removers, like aboutbuster, and CWShredder, but I would start with Adaware and Spybot and go from there.

Other than spyware, your general system performance can deteriorate due to disk fragmentation as well. So if you haven't done it in a long time, you might defrag your disk, but do it after you have cleaned up all the spyware and uninstalled unwanted programs.

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
I prefer Adaware ( I think the new one is adaware se) because it does not stay in the memory (TSR terminate and stay resident , like in the systray). they do have Ad Watch which stays in the systray and watches the incoming spyware for you but you can kill it easily.

U can go to www.download.com (or do as BT says) and download Ad Aware and install it. The good thing about adaware is that upon running it, it checks for the Update nd automatically download and instaals it for you.

Then when you run it , it will show you all the spyware (both good and bad) amnd you can click the checkbox and delete them or right click on the box and say 'select all' then delete them.,

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks alot friend. I downloaded spybot and adaware and a lot more thanks to your advises. But Like Meyti I liked adaware most. It seems probelms are gone. I am used
to UNIX and Linux at work. But I bought this this PC to uses at home and it has windows XP. Maybe I get used to that as good as Unix later.
Thanks to you all.
Regrads!

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
We had a thread in th eold forum about this:
At this link you can see the recent comparison between different spyware softwares:
http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000004.html

I bought spyware eliminator and it is very good. They are going to integrate Anti virus in the version as well. It is better to spend the 34$ than risking spyware in your system. Do not trust Adware and spybot and these free stuff as I have compared they dont detect all.

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
LPDC,
Yes but I am afraid there goes spyware in my bankaccount. I never USE my visa card
for internet.

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
Saeedb,
There is always a billing department and a phone number to call, it will do the same and they will email you the Registeration code.

billing department for spyware eliminator at: 1.888.627.4650

if your telephone is also tapped you have to leave the country it is too dangerous man :)

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
Ok LDPC,
I got something which is called spykiller.It says stops syware deadth in it's track.
It founded 134 spyware after it was run. Woult it mean that they are now gone?
Before I press continue it strated all over again.

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
I dont know about spykiller but the link is not favorable against it actually it is the last but that doesn't count. It does say it detects many spywares but also it leaves many undetected due to short cuts, so you might have some spywares remained in your system. I myself only trust the first 2 of the list http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000004.html.
In my opinion if spykiller counts the cookies and the traces as well then 134 is not much.

Review of spykiller:
http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000024.html read the review.

About Spykiller the review says:
"This is surprising given that SpyKiller claims to protect against nearly 18,000 definitions. It is possible that SpyKiller is taking short-cuts which often leave a significant amount of spyware undetected."
also:
"While SpyKiller did detect some spyware in our tests, follow up tests on clean PCs indicate that it triggers “false positives”, possibly to pressure customers into purchasing the product or simply due to faulty programming. Given the uncertainty of the product as well as the high price, we suggest you look elsewhere".