Steven Gerrard - The End

Aug 26, 2005
Well, the greatest is almost done. He will play his last game at Anfield this week. I think I'll cry like a girl at the end. No one can replace him. More than a player, he was a symbol. Football will be different from now on for me; I guess once your child/teen idol retires, you can't muster up the romanticism anymore to pretend that these people are more than men. Stevie G, you'll always have a beer on me.

[video=youtube;VOIYOqr3aLM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOIYOqr3aLM[/video]

Azhidahak

Bench Warmer
May 30, 2005
I can totally relate to your feelings. In my opinion, Gerrard to liverpool is exactly what Zanetti was for Inter in every aspect. Not only were they both amongst the very very best in the world in their respective position, but their personality, loyalty to the club, fighting spirit, sportsmanship on and off the field, constistency through the ages, maturity, leadership status etc. etc. are matched by very very few players. Ronaldo, Messi, Zlatan, Suarez etc. may be some of the very best players on the planet, but players like Gerrard, Zanetti, Maldini, Del Piero, Puyol etc. are something else and very very rare in modern day football. Most clubs would be very fortunate to have just one of these types of players in their squad every 200-300 years or so.

Feb 4, 2005
You will find less and less people staying loyal with one club these days. He was one of them (Giggsy another). Best of luck to him in the USA.

Aug 26, 2005
I can totally relate to your feelings. In my opinion, Gerrard to liverpool is exactly what Zanetti was for Inter in every aspect. Not only were they both amongst the very very best in the world in their respective position, but their personality, loyalty to the club, fighting spirit, sportsmanship on and off the field, constistency through the ages, maturity, leadership status etc. etc. are matched by very very few players. Ronaldo, Messi, Zlatan, Suarez etc. may be some of the very best players on the planet, but players like Gerrard, Zanetti, Maldini, Del Piero, Puyol etc. are something else and very very rare in modern day football. Most clubs would be very fortunate to have just one of these types of players in their squad every 200-300 years or so.
I agree. There are great players you will tell your children about because of their skill or what have you. Then there are players who you will tell stories of as if they are mythical creatures, with a glow in your eyes you can't hide.

For me, on top of being loyal is the fact that Gerrard sacrificed a lot to do it. Jamie Carragher was once put the same question as to why maybe he isn't appreciated in the same way but he was blunt about it: he said that he was going nowhere, and unlike Gerrard not every club in the world wanted him. For me that's the difference: Gerrard could have gone to any club in the world and by reports indeed they all wanted him but he stayed.

Not to demean other legends; maybe they would stay or they wouldn't; but when you're a home grown at AC Milan or Barcelona or Manchester United...where are you going? You're already winning everything, several times, and have great teammates around you basically all the time getting loads of money.

A mate of mine said it well: it's like having a supermodel wife stay with you even though every rich hollywood hunk is chasing her.

Azhidahak

Bench Warmer
May 30, 2005
I agree. There are great players you will tell your children about because of their skill or what have you. Then there are players who you will tell stories of as if they are mythical creatures, with a glow in your eyes you can't hide.

For me, on top of being loyal is the fact that Gerrard sacrificed a lot to do it. Jamie Carragher was once put the same question as to why maybe he isn't appreciated in the same way but he was blunt about it: he said that he was going nowhere, and unlike Gerrard not every club in the world wanted him. For me that's the difference: Gerrard could have gone to any club in the world and by reports indeed they all wanted him but he stayed.

Not to demean other legends; maybe they would stay or they wouldn't; but when you're a home grown at AC Milan or Barcelona or Manchester United...where are you going? You're already winning everything, several times, and have great teammates around you basically all the time getting loads of money.

A mate of mine said it well: it's like having a supermodel wife stay with you even though every rich hollywood hunk is chasing her.
I know exactly what you mean, and just on example is Mourinho who wanted Gerrard at both Inter and Madrid. But even here, this reminds me of the same mentality with Zanetti. 1-2 years after winning the treble, Inter was going completely down the drain and the club couldnt pay the big salaries anymore. At this point, pretty much every single player was in a fight with the club about their salary. Many players left after the club couldn't afford them anymore, some even got into big long fight with the club on this issue, however one man stood out from EVERYONE else in this desperate situation. It was Zanetti. In these desperate times he came out and said: "give me a blank check and ill sign it". To me, I just cant recall when was the last time I heard a professional footballer have such an attitude towards his club. And even though the situation is different, I think the act and character is very much like what you describe about Gerrard.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Damn... my favorite English player! I didn't think that day would come so soon. Best of luck to him!

What would Liverpool do without him?!

Aug 26, 2005
Rodgers has said a loan deal is possible... I hope so. I hope he slowly transitions onto the coaching staff like Zidane has at Real.

Aug 26, 2005
Loving the tributes coming in. Totti, Maldini, Del Piero, etc, among others have been generous with their praise. I'm gonna try and get them all and add it to his wikiquote page.