Story of Howard Baskerville

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
I accidentally came across the remarkable story of Howard Baskerville and his involvement with Mashrooteh movement. It is an amazing piece of our history that we are never taught.

"In the spring of 1909, during the Constitutional Revolution of Iran, he decided to raise a volunteer force to defend constitutional democracy. Despite attempts to discourage him by the American consul in Tabriz, Edward Doty, he led about a hundred volunteers attempting to help defend the besieged city against Qajar royalist troops fighting forMohammad Ali Shah. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Baskerville

Dec 12, 2002
usa
story of him is a beautiful story of good old american, 10/000 miles away helped others for their quest for freedom .
i hope someday they make great movie of that story,a real good one which that young man trully deserve it .
i promise i play the role of sattar khan by myself .

Dec 12, 2002
usa
the night tabriz was attacked by despotic government force and leader of freedom fighter "sattar khan ) was wounded and couldn't do much then howard went to sattar khan asked him to allow him go and defend the city and prevent enemy army from entering .sattar khan refused , asked him not togo, that we need you here more with educating our childeren, he denied and disobied sattar khan .
he took mostly the group of his stuedents to fight back, in early morning his holy body with others were on ground .
rest in peace big guy .

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
So you guys knew about him? I had NO knowledge. The article says there is a bust of him in Tabriz TODAY. And all we hear about is how CIA did this or that.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
^^^
I actually met a third generation relative of him in Maryland some 10 yeras ago.

Oct 18, 2002
So you guys knew about him? I had NO knowledge. The article says there is a bust of him in Tabriz TODAY. And all we hear about is how CIA did this or that.
I believe Kasravi mentioned Baskervill in his book on Tarikh Mashrooteh. I'll try to dig it up and post it.

Dec 12, 2002
usa
for so many years i had had his last name in my signiture, not only that i wrote about him several times .
anyway,a true here will be always remembered as hero .not those alaki hero or stars who stay on spot light for awhile then soon or later they will go down as alaki as ever .

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
There is another American that featured prominently in the Mashrooteh movement; Morgan Shuster. He was an ardent enemy of Britain and Russia and upon his return wrote The Strangling of Persia in 1912, which is still in print.