Student visas fall under sanctions

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
IN GENERAL.—The Secretary of State shall deny a visato, and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall exclude fromthe United States, any alien who is a citizen of Iran that theSecretary of State determines seeks to enter the United Statesto participate in coursework at an institution of higher education(as defined in section 101(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965(20 U.S.C. 1001(a))) to prepare the alien for a career in the energysector of Iran or in nuclear science or nuclear engineering or arelated field in Iran.

http://www.nacua.org/documents/IranNuclearThreatBill.pdf

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
yes..nuclear physics and nuclear engineering...existed before, just made official. has very little to do with the other subjects you can study.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
"Related fields" could mean almost anything. No school or professor is gong to take a chance. Having said that, none of these measures have anything to do with stopping the nuclear program. The purpose is to tell the world that we are doing something. The show goes on.

Oct 18, 2002

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
You must know a lot of Iranian students applying for American Literature. Get real, will you?
Funny enough, I know more Iranians students of American Literature than of nuclear physics and what not...so yes.

Based on the posts on the applyabroad.org site, some American universities have already started refusing Iranian applicants in fields such as chemical and petrochemical engineering, Energy and Mechanical engineering:

http://www.applyabroad.org/forum/showthread.php?48267-خبر-جدید-و-مهم-در-مورد-ویزای-دانشجویی-آمریکا
Thanks. My aunt told a cousin of mine in Iran to stay off all of that(chemistry and what not) if she wants to study in US. I understand chemistry and energy but not necessarily the rest of it. It seems to me like an early knee jerk reaction to the law...nevermind that the law itself is stupid anyway.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Funny enough, I know more Iranians students of American Literature than of nuclear physics and what not...so yes.
So you are going on the record here saying that more students *in Iran*, because that's who we are talking about in case you didn't notice, apply to study American Literature than science and engineering?

ps

Just because Obama has signed the law, you shouldn't make a fool of yourself.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
So you are going on the record here saying that more students *in Iran*, because that's who we are talking about in case you didn't notice, apply to study American Literature than science and engineering?
No, I just said that I don't know of any Iranian nuclear physics and nuclear engineering students. Now, it would make "sense" to not give those students a visa as you might classify it as a national threat for the US, no matter how ridiculous the idea is by itself, but it's not that say you can't study Nuclear Physics in Germany, England or wherever else.

ps

Just because Obama has signed the law, you shouldn't make a fool of yourself.
Thanks. My aunt told a cousin of mine in Iran to stay off all of that(chemistry and what not) if she wants to study in US. I understand chemistry and energy but not necessarily the rest of it. It seems to me like an early knee jerk reaction to the law...nevermind that the law itself is stupid anyway.
Just because IF the law had been signed by a Republican president you wouldn't have a problem with it, don't assume that etc.

Now nevermind that, it's a bill passed by congress and congress is Republican, so...

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
No, I just said that I don't know of any Iranian nuclear physics and nuclear engineering students.
That is not what you said. That is what you are saying now. What you said was that "related fields" mean American Literature. For your education, no bill becomes law unless signed by the President. It was signed by the President.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
For the record, this is the conversation

"Related fields" could mean almost anything. No school or professor is gong to take a chance. Having said that, none of these measures have anything to do with stopping the nuclear program. The purpose is to tell the world that we are doing something. The show goes on.
yeah...like American Literature..

but sure, no professor is going to take a chance on good minds...no! never!
You must know a lot of Iranian students applying for American Literature. Get real, will you?
No, I just said that I don't know of any Iranian nuclear physics and nuclear engineering students. Now, it would make "sense" to not give those students a visa as you might classify it as a national threat for the US, no matter how ridiculous the idea is by itself, but it's not that say you can't study Nuclear Physics in Germany, England or wherever else.
That is not what you said. That is what you are saying now. What you said was that "related fields" mean American Literature. For your education, no bill becomes law unless signed by the President. It was signed by the President.
LOL

NO, YOU'RE NOT A TROLL!

[video=youtube;v0-MZZ3iqzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0-MZZ3iqzE[/video]

For your education, no bill becomes law unless signed by the President. It was signed by the President.
No shit dude! But you expect him to make use of executive powers on an issue like this when he didn't do it on stimulus or whatever else? LOL! I really don't want to repost the video from above...

Anyway, be creative, attack Obama by posting that John Cusack article about how he has undermined the constitution. Stuff like that is really lame, specially when the whole conversation is in the same thread. American Literature was obviously a joke pointing out that it's not "almost everything" but certain related subjects, but even maths or computer science could be related to it and anyway, I'm on record stating it's rubbish and useless for reasons given. But....YOU DON'T KNOW...WHAT YOU'RE DOING DOING DOING