Tehran Battles Plague of 'Mutant' Giant Rats with Army Snipers

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/437326/20130220/iran-rats-tehran-snipers-mutated.htm

[h=1]ehran Battles Plague of 'Mutant' Giant Rats with Army Snipers[/h] By Umberto Bacchi: Subscribe to Umberto's RSS feed
February 20, 2013 1:08 PM GMT
Iran's capital of Tehran is infested by huge rats (Reuters)

Tehran, the capital of Iran, is battling an invasion of "genetically mutated" giant rats.

Iran has sent in sniper teams to clear Tehran's streets from the massive rodents weighting up to five kilos plaguing 26 district of the Iranian capital, the city's environmental agency said.
"They seem to have had a genetic mutation, probably as a result of radiations and the chemical used on them," Ismail Kahram, Teheran city council environment adviser and university professor Ismail Kahram told Qudsonline.ir.
"They are now bigger and look different. These are changes that normally take millions of years of evolution. They have jumped from 60 grams to five kilos, and cats are now smaller than them."
The "mutated rats" have been running rampant in the capital, as cats are scared off by their giant size and traditional poison appear to have no effect on them.

Follow us

To stop them storming of restaurants' backyards and scavenging public waste containers, the council has deployed ten snipers teams armed with infra-red sighted rifles.
"We use chemical poisons to kill the rats during the day and the snipers at night, so it has become a 24/7 war," the head of the environment agency, Mohammad Hadi Heydarzadeh, said.
Rats' carcasses are burnt or buried in lime.
So far 2,205 rats have been shot dead, but the war is far to be won and the council is planning to bring the snipers team up to 40.

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
As BT said, this is frightening. 60 g to 5 kg?!!! In such a short period of time? The stuff of nightmares.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
"They seem to have had a genetic mutation, probably as a result of radiations and the chemical used on them," Ismail Kahram, Teheran city council environment adviser and university professor Ismail Kahram told Qudsonline.ir.
"They are now bigger and look different. These are changes that normally take millions of years of evolution.
Hmmm!!! Evolution is referenced in an Islamic country? Noway this is the work of evolution. I think Allah recently created them and placed them there. Baleh janam.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
اینا همه دستاوردهای اسلام ناب محمدیه. شما کافرا هیچی نمیفهمید. این خرموش ها ماموریت الهی دارن که با فتنه گران و فتنه جویان مانند سپاه ابرهه مبارزه کنند. حالا میبینید. وقتی توی انتخابات این موجودات مقدس رو ول کردیم تو جون فتنه گرا متوجه میشید که با امت ذوب شده در ولایت نمیشه درافتاد

نصرُ من الله و فتحُ قریب

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Hmmm!!! Evolution is referenced in an Islamic country? Noway this is the work of evolution. I think Allah recently created them and placed them there. Baleh janam.
LOL. When the belief in Allah fails to explain things, we're back to evolution! BTW, a plague of rats in Abrahamic scriptures is considered a punishment from God (as evident in Samuel) which may explain why the Eshalic regime is suddenly interested in evolutionary theories! ;)

On a more creepy note... Snipers on the streets of Tehran at night or maybe soon 24/7, a few months before the elections for a problem we've never heard about before?! I smell a rat!!! :(

And on a lighter note... And I sure as hell hope they're really burying them in the calcium oxide type of "lime" and not marinating them in lime because the price of chicken has gone up!!! You can make a lot of Joojeh kabob out of 11 lb. of meat that apparently tastes just like chicken!!!

BTW, a couple of years ago scientists discovered skeletons of what appeared to be giant rats in E. Timor that went extinct around 2000 years ago. Those rats weighed exactly the same as these one in Tehran. Otherwise, the biggest surviving rats in the world weigh around 2 kg! In other words, we have again made it into the record books with something not very desirable.

Last edited:

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
This is got to be a joke. What are they firing? Even 22s can travel miles and miles and ricochet from every where. Is there a "rat's curfew" hours so people stay home while snipers shoot up and down Pahlavi ave.? They'll kill more people than rats.

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
Hard to poison thousands of 10'lb rats without causing major health hazards for humans and plants.
how about traps ? terriers ?

A simple predator prey model I think would suffice in proving this a ridiculous publicity stunt. The rat infestation is in the millions already, the number of snipers required to make a dent in this population makes it retarded and a way bigger hazard to public health. I don't want snipers trying to shoot rats in the streets in a city as crowded as Tehran.

of course you can't ever have enough armed security personnel on the ground when you run a dictatorship.

Last edited:

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Guys it states that they have become immune to poison and nothing happens to them. And what is interesting is the point about chemical/radiation that has made them so large. What can be happening there for this to actually happen????

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ipers-deployed-to-kill-tehrans-cat-sized-rats

Based on this there are some 25 million rats. Even if you have a thousand snipers how many can they actually kill? And aren't most of them underground. This is truly scary and disgusting. I am sure some of them can and will eat babies.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Terriers in the Eshalic Republic when they're removing dogs by force and euthanizing them? They're never going to throw in one najes animal to take care of another. Plus a terrier is not going to take on an 11 lb. rat in an urban environment. They're okay in wide open spaces or forests, but dogs are not the smartest fastest or most agile creatures in a city. I know our Jack Russie would definitely chase a rat with no consideration for traffic and get killed the 1st day. :(

And what is interesting is the point about chemical/radiation that has made them so large. What can be happening there for this to actually happen????
Yeah, this radiation thing is really strange to me too. I have no clue what they would be talking about other than the Tehran nuclear reactor, unless something fishy is going on (like military research). Natural radiation in Tehran is really low.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
A simple predator prey model I think would suffice in proving this a ridiculous publicity stunt. The rat infestation is in the millions already, the number of snipers required to make a dent in this population makes it retarded and a way bigger hazard to public health. I don't want snipers trying to shoot rats in the streets in a city as crowded as Tehran.
Why are you surprised? Remember a couple of years ago they were trying to eliminate air pollution in Tehran by spraying water from small two-engine planes? Tehran municipality is never short of ingenious plans :D

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
Terriers in the Eshalic Republic when they're removing dogs by force and euthanizing them? They're never going to throw in one najes animal to take care of another. Plus a terrier is not going to take on an 11 lb. rat in an urban environment. They're okay in wide open spaces or forests, but dogs are not the smartest fastest or most agile creatures in a city. I know our Jack Russie would definitely chase a rat with no consideration for traffic and get killed the 1st day. :(
yet more evidence of how retarded this regime is. I was going to say cats but I think the poor cats would flee at the sight of 11 lb rats.

I remember walking down bolvar keshavarz when I was a kid and I was amazed at how big these rats were. The real problem is the open sewage channels on the streets of Tehran. We are lucky Tehran is relatively high in elevation but It would still be interesting to see the water tables for Tehran and the surrounding areas given our sewage disposal schemes.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Doing some more research Pooya jaan and the plot does thicken...

* Apparently in the last week of Decemeber and 1st week of January there were two major evacuation notices issued for Tehran and Esfehan respectively. Not sure why none of us found out about it, but they were huge (the Esfehan one covered half a million people). It wasn't a mandatory evacuation, but there was some buzz among conspiracy sites that the government had issued these evacuation notices because of a radiation leak!!! Apparently they told everyone it was because of pollution.

* Then, on January 21st, there was allegedly a major explosion at Fordow (about 100 km south of Tehran) that the regime denied, but it seems more and more likely that it did in fact happen (names of some of the people killed has been released by some sources and just in the past week there have been rumours that Iran has ordered millions of iodine pills from Russia and Ukraine for radiation poisoning). If that explosion did in fact take place, radiation could have reached Tehran within hours.

Of course rats would be most susceptible to any radiation because one, any radioactive material washed down by rain/snow would be their primary source of water and two, all the water and snow would run off to the sewer where they would normally live. Rats become sexually mature at 5 weeks, come into heat every 4 days and give birth in 3 weeks, which means if the 1st radiation rumour has any validity, we could potentially be looking at 2nd generation mutated rats already (i.e. the 1st mutation would have taken place for a rat in its mothers womb at the end of December and that rat would already have offsprings that have secondary mutations!).

All in all, radiation and 25 million rats at sizes that are almost 3 times what the biggest rats were previously known to be and outnumbering the population at 2 to 1 sounds like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie, but on a MUCH MUCH larger scale. What makes the situation is worse is that if the Fordow reports are correct, the radiation fallout from that will compound the problem and if they've only managed to kill 2000 of them in the past few weeks with 1/4 of the rat population being females ready to produce and having 5-7 offsprings every 8 weeks, you can imagine how BIG this problem is.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
Canada
yet more evidence of how retarded this regime is. I was going to say cats but I think the poor cats would flee at the sight of 11 lb rats.

I remember walking down bolvar keshavarz when I was a kid and I was amazed at how big these rats were. The real problem is the open sewage channels on the streets of Tehran. We are lucky Tehran is relatively high in elevation but It would still be interesting to see the water tables for Tehran and the surrounding areas given our sewage disposal schemes.
Yeah, remember Blvd Keshavarz had the problem even when I was still in Tehran 30+ years ago, but those rats were only 1-2 kg. These new guys are 2.5-5 times that size!!! Again, until this report came out, the biggest known rats in the world (not extinct) were 1-2 kg. I actually just read this very interesting passage on Wiki:

Adult body weight averages 550 g (19 oz) in males and about 350 g (12 oz) in females, but a very large individual can reach 900 g (32 oz). Rats weighing over 1 kg (2.2 lb) are exceptional, and stories of rats as big as cats are exaggerations, or misidentifications of other rodents, such as the coypu and muskrat.

I guess they're going to have to change their information based on this new evidence!!! ;)

Yeah Baggio joon, no freakin' way cats are going to take on these guys at those sizes. House cats are usually bigger than strays and feral cats because they have a steady source of food. Our male cat Boo is almost 15 lbs. and over 4' tall when he stands up on his back feet, which is HUGE by any standards and as much as he loves eating, is very fit and has claws that are 1/2" long (he has scratched me when I was trying to give him a bath and it left permanent marks on my hand), there's no way he would take on something that size. 11 lbs. is the size of an average raccoon and those guys are known to grab house cats and eat them during mating season!!! :ess-cry: