Tehran - one of world's 10 worst cities to live in 2014

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I'll say this much, the traffic in Tehran is Oh my God! My friend recently came back and told me it's so bad it takes several hours just to go for like a mile or so and food prices are really expensive right now. he also told me that info.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
The world's 10 worst cities to live in, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit global “liveability” study, which looks at how “tolerable” it is to live in a particular place given its crime levels, threat of conflict, quality of medical care, levels of censorship, temperature, schools and transport links.

Weather is not any of them. As a result, I could say there are a lot of cities that are worse than Tehran. This is not really fair.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I know Tehran's downsides very well and I have been to many cities in the world. Here's my verdict:

Tehran is one of the best cities in the world. No bullshit.

There's something in that filthy air and shitty attitude of people. Nostalgia apart, there really is something about Tehran that attracts people and I can totally sympathize with those who have no idea what it is.

Mar 13, 2007
There's something in that filthy air and shitty attitude of people. Nostalgia apart, there really is something about Tehran that attracts people and I can totally sympathize with those who have no idea what it is.

Im pretty sure its the same thing that makes turks believe istanbul is the greatest city in the world, or brazilians think rio is the greatest city or czechs think prague is the greatest city in the world. I have even directly heard from somalians that somalia is the greatest place in the world no joke !!!

For every person that goes to tehran regularly who loves it, there are 3 that come back to tell me not to even think about going there, so perspectives vary significantly, but fact remain the same.

One other thing that always fascinates me is how for everyone, tehran means just the top 10-15% in shomal e shahr who do very well and have some fun and games. that is not representative of the country or city where 90% are nothing like that segment or population.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
It is true! Not one of the 10 worst but one of the worst..
Ya I was about to say that with all of those African cities and poor Asian cities, there is no way in hell Tehran can be on the top 10. Maybe they just put Tehran on the list because of the strict rules. Oh the one thing that is really bad about Tehran is good luck getting an apartment because you need like 90% for a down payment and apartments are ridiculous. They are even getting expensive in Shahresten so you can imagine how much you are going to fork over for a half way decent apartment in a half way decent area. I'm not talking northern Tehran I'm talking two bedroom apt in a middle class neighborhood. Good luck with that. That is why you see people living at home until they are 45 or 50.

Aug 21, 2005
next door
If tehran is bad then NYC should be bad too. other than the air pollution in Tehran, Tehran is much more cleaner than NYC. NYC is expensive, filthy, depressing, traffic up the ass and if you do not have 2-3 roommates you can hardly live on your own. do not take my words for it go to NYC then go to Tehran!! NYC subway is dirtier than a subway in India

BS ranking.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
The forced Hejab thing really sends Tehran (and Iran) down every list. There is no denying that. That's half of the population being screwed as soon as they step out of their homes.

There's also the inability(or illegality) of open expression of attraction between genders. That's a huge flaw.

Traffic, pollution, economy and all other things are far worse in more than half of the world, so forget about calling Tehran the worst in those departments.

Economically Tehran is a major opportunity base for money-making ventures (legal or illegal).

The tax laws are also fantastically favorable, almost unmatched by any other major city.

Oct 1, 2004
Tehran is truthfully somewhere in the middle of all major cities.
Its better than Baghdad or Kabul or Cairo or Damascus or...

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
Tehran is top 20 worst... and NYC is bad as well just like Toronto. They are both very dirty cities. But one thing we have an advantage over here is universal healthcare.. While NYC is the same shit with out that.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Tehran is top 20 worst... and NYC is bad as well just like Toronto. They are both very dirty cities. But one thing we have an advantage over here is universal healthcare.. While NYC is the same shit with out that.
I've listened to some Canadian politicians who stated their concern about your universal healthcare system. Is it warranted or is it just hoop la? I know that it costs you guys some serious cash in tax dollars. I'm wondering if two decades down the road, can Canada maintain this system? Since you probably have more insight on this I'm asking you or if any Canadian can answer me that would be good.

Certainly Tehran is not the worst 10 with cities like Baghdad, Kaboul, Khartoom and other African cities but the hijab and lack of freedoms will make Tehran, or Iran, take a huge hit.

May 9, 2004
این امارهای کس مغزی به درد کس مغزی مثل تو هم میخوره
یعنی تهران بدترین شهر دنیاست که ادم میتونه توش زندگی کنه
انوقت مثلا مگادیشو کابل دلهی مومبی و صدها شهر که زباله همه جا را فراگرفته از تهران بهتر هستند
خوب دیگه این امارها را یکی مثل تو بیرون می دهد
که مثال گربه دستش به گوش نمیرسه میگه بو میده صدق کنه

Attachments

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
I've listened to some Canadian politicians who stated their concern about your universal healthcare system. Is it warranted or is it just hoop la? I know that it costs you guys some serious cash in tax dollars. I'm wondering if two decades down the road, can Canada maintain this system? Since you probably have more insight on this I'm asking you or if any Canadian can answer me that would be good.

Certainly Tehran is not the worst 10 with cities like Baghdad, Kaboul, Khartoom and other African cities but the hijab and lack of freedoms will make Tehran, or Iran, take a huge hit.
Yeah of course Canada can maintain this system. But the downside is they will increase our taxes if Canada does.. Another problem is some people see the doctor a lot more than others and take advantage of the health care system here. Especially old new comers or just old people... I'm sorry to offend anyone but that is what I hate the most.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah of course Canada can maintain this system. But the downside is they will increase our taxes if Canada does.. Another problem is some people see the doctor a lot more than others and take advantage of the health care system here. Especially old new comers or just old people... I'm sorry to offend anyone but that is what I hate the most.
No I get what you are saying about people taking advantage of the health care system and about some old people. If they just cough, oh time for a doctor's visit. Of course I am exaggerating a bit but why not when it costs practically nothing. I also get what you are saying about the fact that taxes are going to get raised. You can always maintain the system but something needs to give and that something is usually the unpopular raise taxes on your ass strategy.
The jacked up part is the average Californian probably pays a little less in taxes than the average Canadian but you guys have more benefits. It's not just health care, you guys get a much more generous retirement package. My friends' dad just retired he was making 250K a year and his compensation was 2,500 a month and of course CA is going to take 400 straight form the top, so he moved to Nevada. What I'm trying to say is we pay almost as much in taxes as you guys, when you add state plus federal (it is like 50% of your income) but we don't have $hit to show for. I don't mind paying higher taxes, as long as I am getting some benefits like good retirement and health. In the USA, don't get sick and don't stop working. Now it is not uncommon to see people in their late 70's working because they can't afford to retire.

What would you rather have high taxes but health care and good retirement or almost as much in taxes but you get squat? Exactly.

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
I don't know what your talking about dude you need to get more info. Our retirement here is not good there are still a lot of people working until death. I don't know who you get your info from but its completely wrong. The only upside in this country is the healthcare other than that its just like New York a very big expensive city with a lot of downsides..