The best player the world never got to know the sad story of George Bests

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
There are plenty of good footballers who never got to display their skills, on the world state. The most famous for me is Northern Ireland's George Bests.
Now people know him because he played for Man U for 11 seasons. However, the world never got to see his brilliance, due to the fact that Northern Ireland,
never qualified for the European Cup or the World Cup.
I think a modern day George Bests is Erling Haaland. He is a super star but Norway, unless they expand the field in the Euros and the World Cup.
We think it's sad that Johan Cruyff never won a World Cup but at least the world got to see him play and he went to a finals. The world never got to see the brilliance of George Bests. I don't know about you but I think that is very sad, he was just born in the wrong place. The distance from Belfast to London is about 332 miles. He would have won a world cup with the 1966 England team, if only he was English.

Attachments

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Ryan Giggs is another great example of a brilliant footballer who never got his chance to display his skills, at the world stage.
This one is for the wife. Dimitar Berbatov, great career with Man U but he never went to a World Cup or Euro's with Bulgaria, that was , Hristo Stoichkov
Here is another good one
David Alba Real Madrid Austria. Austria never qualified for a World Cup or Euro while he was on the NT.
Most people would have George Bests ranked #1

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
Ryan Giggs is another great example of a brilliant footballer who never got his chance to display his skills, at the world stage.
This one is for the wife. Dimitar Berbatov, great career with Man U but he never went to a World Cup or Euro's with Bulgaria, that was , Hristo Stoichkov
Here is another good one
David Alba Real Madrid Austria. Austria never qualified for a World Cup or Euro while he was on the NT.
Most people would have George Bests ranked #1
David Alaba actually was on Austria's roster in two Euros, 2016 and 2020. He was even the team captain in the 2020 version.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
David Alaba actually was on Austria's roster in two Euros, 2016 and 2020. He was even the team captain in the 2020 version.
Ok so he was in the Euro for 2016 and 2020 but Austria did not qualify for the World Cup in 2014 and in 2018 so he did play in a Euro but not a World Cup. Corrections and retractions we remove David Alaba from the list
So far we got
George Bests
Ryan Giggs
and
Dimitar Ivanov Berbatov by the way side note, in Bulgarska, his sur name is actually pronounced the poor bloke's name as Bar-ba-tov the English just botched up his name(what a shocker)
Of course they called Zhukov Zoo-kov lol he was not a Zoo.
Interesting article I found on Ryan Giggs and the complicated relationship he had with football
https://theathletic.com/5399242/2024/04/12/ryan-giggs-football-future/
At least Ryan Giggs scored plenty of goals, with the Welsh and English ladies from Manchester. :) The man got around.

Last edited: