The best thing about Argentina losing...

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Second good thin: It also prevents Iranians from claiming for the next 2 centuries they lost to the world campion in the injury time so the whole world is in praise of their football.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Messi has broke records one after another! I can't believe how seven games tournament is the decider of an athlete career! I am a big Maradona fan my self and I still think the biggest achievement of football history was Maradona winning two Scudetto for Napoli but they are both great in different ways and they can't be compared anyways because they are from two different era. Football was played differently than now! Messi never enjoyed as much space as Maradona in WC 86!

Last edited:

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Messi has broke records one after another! I can't believe how seven games tournament is the decider of an athlete career! I am a big Maradona fan my self and I still think the biggest achievement of football history was Maradona winning two Scudetto for Napoli but they are both great in different ways and they can't be compared anyways because they are from two different era. Football was played differently than now! Messi never enjoyed as much space as Maradona in WC 86!
Did you mean to type the other way around?

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Pele>>>>>>>>> Maradona >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Messi! :D

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
I remember 86 very well. Maradona was kicked all over but he used to get up and get on. He wasn't protected by referees like star players are now. Referees give cards much more now and no one dares to tackle in case they get cards.

but I agree they should not be compared but they are all the time.

anyway can some one tell me how Messi deserved the honour of the best player in the WC? Seriously! !!

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Maradona had all the spaces in the world against England and Belgium. Yes players were tougher but they enjoyed much more empty spaces in dangerous area than these days.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
That's such a BS!! Even Neymar who didn't reach the final was more worthy of the prize than Messi! The way he carried Brazil on his shoulders till he got injured was unique in this WC! Robben was much better too!

I could even name a couple of German players being better than Messi! Total BS!

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
he was awarded the man of the match award 5 times, more than any other player, and he played in the final. that's why he got it...
Lame criteria but to be fair nobody was better than him. Was kind of dry wc when it comes to shining stars. In the era that every team even Iran (except Brasil) have learned how to defend, shining should be redefined.

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
That's such a BS!! Even Neymar who didn't reach the final was more worthy of the prize than Messi! The way he carried Brazil on his shoulders till he got injured was unique in this WC! Robben was much better too!

I could even name a couple of German players being better than Messi! Total BS!
LOL! Pretty much everyone disagrees with Messi winning it but you're the only one who even mentions the name Neymar as a possible deserving winner. I wonder why that is? Can u tell me how many matches Neymar won for Brazil? Labod Cameroono migi? lol..

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
LOL! Pretty much everyone disagrees with Messi winning it but you're the only one who even mentions the name Neymar as a possible deserving winner. I wonder why that is? Can u tell me how many matches Neymar won for Brazil? Labod Cameroono migi? lol..
No, I don't mean he deserved to win! I'm just saying he was even better than Messi for the latter to win it! and yes, Neymar did carry Brazil till the Semifinal! He was the only one doing something! Look what happened without him in the team! No one in this WC carried his team, the way he carried Brazil and the importance he had in their team!

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
Messi = v.good player when surrounded by the likes of Iniesta and Xavi in their peak form

exposed big time this year @ Barca and in world cup 2014

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Lame criteria but to be fair nobody was better than him. Was kind of dry wc when it comes to shining stars. In the era that every team even Iran (except Brasil) have learned how to defend, shining should be redefined.

yeah dude..but individual awards are always lame. football is a team game. the only people who care about bullshit like that are those who watch Tennis in between the 4 years of world cups.

Azhidahak

Bench Warmer
May 30, 2005
yeah dude..but individual awards are always lame. football is a team game. the only people who care about bullshit like that are those who watch Tennis in between the 4 years of world cups.
Come on mate, I know your dissapointed but of course individual awards such as the golden ball or Ballon d'Or matters. Yes I know Golden ball is not the same as Ballon d'Or for instance but Im just making a point that these individual awards matter. Even if you dont agree with me I can promise you most of the top players in the world definetely care about getting an award like that, especially Ballon d'Or.

Aug 26, 2005
In football I hate arguments that hinge on "well he hasn't won x yet". Football is a team game. You can't win if you're being used wrong, or your teammates aren't upto the standard. It doesn't matter who you are.

You could say Maradona was the best even if Messi won this WC in my opinion. People literally are just waiting on him to either win it or not win it to crown him. For me, the reason Maradona was great was because he was involved in everything the same way a Zidane was (he was the go-to guy) and had far less protection in terms of the refs, as well as scoring and making a shitload of goals. Where he loses out is in the fact that he was a liability in terms of his character. He had a shortened career because of it.

Ultimately, I think Messi's statistics are too ridiculous to argue with, when you're comparing attacking players. At 27, he's already ahead of most all-time greats in terms of their career numbers. He is the Gretzky of our time: he is the best scorer and assister almost every year. What more, his genius makes him a devil of a player to contain, he wasn't some morde-khor like Inzaghi or Muller.

I think he should leave Barca though. He has won all he can with them. He needs a new challenge and new motivation. LIVERPOOL! :D

Aug 26, 2005
Come on mate, I know your dissapointed but of course individual awards such as the golden ball or Ballon d'Or matters. Yes I know Golden ball is not the same as Ballon d'Or for instance but Im just making a point that these individual awards matter. Even if you dont agree with me I can promise you most of the top players in the world definetely care about getting an award like that, especially Ballon d'Or.
Unfortunately, even those awards are dictated by who that player plays for and what they win.