The Iran job is on Netflix

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I didn't know there was even such a movie but I watched some youtube clips about the American playing pro basketball in Iran. He had his Persian translator and she explained how he loved the fact that everyone was so nice to him. I bet he gets treated better in Iran than back home. If it was not for sanctions and if Iran had a better league, more Americans and Europeans would be playing basketball in Iran but Iran's doesn't pay you that much money. I really want to check that movie out I"m really interested.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I saw it. Nothing to write home about. I could have done a better job making a movie on that.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
I saw it. Nothing to write home about. I could have done a better job making a movie on that.
it's not that it was well made.. it's just that I found the story to be interesting (and to be honest i get excited about any foreign made production featuring iran.. started watching iran cinematographic revolution on netflix after this one!)

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
It would be a little hard find an American basketball player willing to be part of this film . The Iran Job is not really about the film , the story is interesting.

It might be interesting for foreignors but I heard the " we can't kiss in public line" or "we can't be president" or "we can't drink" too many times. It doesn't do it for me especially because I know there is more fucking & drinking going in Iran than any other place in the world.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
It might be interesting for foreignors but I heard the " we can't kiss in public line" or "we can't be president" or "we can't drink" too many times. It doesn't do it for me especially because I know there is more fucking & drinking going in Iran than any other place in the world.
That's not the part of the story that interested me . For me I was interested to see for the first time on film how a African-American athlete managed to live in Iran . I've read about American basketball players in Iran but I had never seen it on film so as a iranian that part of the story interested me . The rest of the story about females not being able to become president ect... was for the foreign audience .

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
That's not the part of the story that interested me . For me I was interested to see for the first time on film how a African-American athlete managed to live in Iran . I've read about American basketball players in Iran but I had never seen it on film so as a iranian that part of the story interested me . The rest of the story about females not being able to become president ect... was for the foreign audience .
That is the aspect that interested me the most as well and he was treated very well in Iran. In fact Iranians don't think like us Americans they probably called him the American basketball player they didn't say African American player, only us Caucasian American born Americans (I'm assuming you fall in this category because your English is good and you have an NFL team as your Avatar) think like that man and I"ll admit it's a bad way to think and actually the only true Americans are the native Americans. Back to basketball it was interesting how he befriended the Persian lady who was his translator. Hopefully one day, when Iran has a good govt and the economy is better, they can pay more money and more foreigners will play pro ball in Iran be it soccer or basketball. That would be really cool to one day see Iran's league as like the new Lebanon of Asia(I hear they have a pretty dope league).

Plus you get an experience of a lifetime you get to go to a foreign country, learn about a new culture, eat new and "strange" food and socialize with the people get a feel for things. Not too many Americans get that opportunity.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
well for a foreigner amateur movie maker that probably knew nothing about Iran not bad technically speaking.

the point guard himself was kind of a person with shisheh khoordeh.

the girls are what we call in Iran Avizoon.

no something bad for an American to watch to know people in Iran play high school level basketball.

but overall a little too childish.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
well for a foreigner amateur movie maker that probably knew nothing about Iran not bad technically speaking.

the point guard himself was kind of a person with shisheh khoordeh.

the girls are what we call in Iran Avizoon.

no something bad for an American to watch to know people in Iran play high school level basketball
but overall a little too childish.
I think a lot of us would have made a better film. I would call it "The Journey" and make it more like making films of him and his teammates practicing, showing the games, viewing all of them socializing. I think that would have been more interesting if they made it like that and then you could have a portion where he just talks to ordinary people. The Big 10 has a segment for football and basketball players and that is the model they use and it is a very popular show on their network.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Fair enough. I respect that.