The Nature Journal says Daneshjou duplicated an earlier paper!

Jun 18, 2005
This is about when shit hits the fan.

Exclusive: Paper co-authored by Iran's science minister duplicates earlier paper - September 22, 2009

Large chunks of text, figures, and tables in a 2009 paper co-authored by Kamran Daneshjou, Iran's science minister, are identical to those of a 2002 paper published by South Korean researchers, Nature has learned. Daneshjou served as the head of the interior ministry office which ran the disputed presidential elections in June, which returned Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to power. Daneshjou is also a former governor general of Tehran.
The paper by Daneshjou and Majid Shahravi from the department of mechanical engineering at the Iran University of Science and Technology in Tehran is entitled "Analysis of critical ricochet angle using two space discretization methods", and was published in the journal Engineering with Computers in 2009. In many places the text duplicates verbatim that of an earlier paper: "Ricochet of a tungsten heavy alloy long-rod projectile from deformable steel plates", published by South Korean scientists in the Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics in 2002.
Other sentences in Daneshjou's paper are identical to those in a paper given by other researchers at a 2003 conference.

http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbeyond/2009/09/exclusive_paper_authored_by_ir.html

Daneshjou is the Iranian "higher education minister" who was thrown out of UK for allegedly aiding to burn a bookstore over Salman Rushdie row. He never finished his PhD studies there and was awarded an equivalent degree by the Iranian government!

Jun 18, 2005
The Nature's findings are being reported by Iranian media as well.

This is from Mehr News. Ajab in mardak aberooye daneshgaha ro bord.

ادعای نشریه نیچر مبنی بر کپی برداری کامران دانشجو از یک مقاله علمی نشریه نیچر در مطلبی مدعی شد مقاله علمی کامران دانشجو که در سال 2009 منتشر شده کپی برداری از مقاله ای است که در سال 2002 توسط دانشمندان کره ای به چاپ رسیده است. به گزارش خبرگزاری مهر، نشریه نیچر در بخش وبلاگهای خود مطلبی منتشر کرده است که در آن ادعا شده قسمتهای زیادی از متون، کلمات و ارقام و بخشهای مقاله کامران دانشجو وزیر کنونی وزارت علوم، تحقیقات و فناوری ایران که در سال جاری منتشر شده است ، شباهت بسیار زیادی به مقاله دانشمندان کره جنوبی دارد که در سال 2002 انتشار یافته است.

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
LOL.
Not surprising.

Yeki ham madarek asatid high IQ dar Q8 roo check kone :)

آنانکه پی تیر و چماقید هنوز
با مدرک دکترا الاغید هنوز

Jun 18, 2005
Oh my god the dumb fuck just literally copy pasted the figures and results without even changing the numbers for the references. :--biggrin

Ajab kharan ina.

Qahreman

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
I'm not defending him, but based on my experience many people do that and it's not the case of it being an isolated event like it is with data fudging and other things.

This happens every so often for journal submissions to engineering type papers. The author essentially submits the same type of work to different journals but just changes the wording around. Those who are good at it and know the rules get an extra publication under their belt. Those who suck at it probably get embarrassed. I never knew of a case about a guy who sucked at it but this might be one right here.

Jan 23, 2003
I'm not defending him, but based on my experience many people do that and it's not the case of it being an isolated event like it is with data fudging and other things.

This happens every so often for journal submissions to engineering type papers. The author essentially submits the same type of work to different journals but just changes the wording around. Those who are good at it and know the rules get an extra publication under their belt. Those who suck at it probably get embarrassed. I never knew of a case about a guy who sucked at it but this might be one right here.
of course many people do it (including me!). But how many of them get appointed as science ministers? Says alot about the one who formed the cabinet!

Jun 18, 2005

Many people do that based on your experience? Color me shocked.

I like to know where you work at, where this cheating happens so often!

In biological sciences where I am at, people do get multiple publications for their own work, but never seen (except for the cheating cases) that somebody would take someone's data and tweak it around to get an extra publication under their belt.

Jun 18, 2005
of course many people do it (including me!). But how many of them get appointed as science ministers? Says alot about the one who formed the cabinet!
So do you use an earlier paper, and use different parameters to do what they did and publish your results? Or you just go ahead and copy paste their figures and tables and then publish in some other journal?

Oct 18, 2002

Yes, some authors submit the same paper of THEIR OWN with minimal changes to two different publications. Even that is not acceptable (IEEE bans self-plagiarism). But this dumbass copied the paper of a Korean author (from 2002) and submitted it in his own name!

That's pure and obvious plagiarism, and the original author and the journal can even sue him for fraud and copyright violation.

Jan 23, 2003
So do you use an earlier paper, and use different parameters to do what they did and publish your results? Or you just go ahead and copy paste their figures and tables and then publish in some other journal?
sorry for late reply. Actually non. I used my own methodologies and parameters but when it came to writingd (introductions etc...) I did simply copy (with minimal re-wording) from textbooks. But no I did not copy anybody elses journals the way our science minister did!

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
Data fudging and other things? It is not an isolated event?

Wasn't he the interior ministry guy in charge of the last election?

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
I don't want to defend this guy who's certainly a fraud but a) unfortunately this problem is extremely commonplace in Iran these days, b) he's most probably not the main culprit.

On the first point, the ministry of higher education has linked tenure and rank to ISI-listed publications. That's more or less the same everywhere in the world. The difference is in other places more stringent checks and balances are in place. I know first-hand how ridiculously rampant this problem is in Iran and Iranians. It has caused quite a few embarrassing situations. I have seen quite a few examples of this coming out of Iran in the last few years.

As a result of the pressure from the ministry, professors, in turn, will push the students to the limits to produce journal articles. Which brings me to the second point. Most of these cases are student plagiarism. Obviously, the professor should make it clear to them that this is not acceptable under any circumstances. However, if the student does that, it's not always easy to catch. Now this guy is being a jerk by putting his name in front of his student when most probably it was his student's work (unfortunately in Iran professors do that very often!) but my guess is that it is his student who created this masterpiece. He's still responsible fo rit even if he wasn't the first or corresponding author but that case would not be as severe as him doing it by himself.

Again, I'm not saying that the guy is not capable of cheating by himself. He certainly is and has shown that in the past.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002

True, in fact all authors are required by even the crappiest journal now that the work belongs to them and is not a duplicate, leave alone the standard of a Nature related journal.

I am, however, little bit uncertain here. Is the source of this contrversy the Nature itself or someone posting on the Nature forum? We need to be careful. Usually the journals, in cases like this, don't get into sentiments, retract the faulty paper, and publish the action and the reason. I am not sure they get into whther Daneshjoo is Iranian science minister or not.

Jun 18, 2005
Abedzadeh Jan, that is not really cheating then. This guy basically copy pasted from an article published in Nature and now he is paying for it.

Me Jan, Daneshjou's paper was not published in Nature, but he copied from an article in that journal. The news is officially from Nature and not some anonymous poster.

In fact the journal where Danesjou published his 2009 paper is now saying that they will retract the paper and discuss this cheating in their upcoming issue!

http://www.nature.com/news/2009/090923/full/news.2009.945.html

"The introduction is copied practically word-for-word," comments Muhammad Sahimi, an Iranian materials scientist at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, adding that so too are large parts of the methods, results and discussion section. "The English of the paper is not uniform," he notes, "Where they have copied from other papers, it reads smoothly. Where they have tried to add things themselves, it does not read as smoothly."

"This is a bitter blow to Iranian academic society, it's a scandal," says Ali Gorji, an Iranian neuroscientist based at the University of Münster in Germany, "I'd like to assure the international scientific community that Iranian scientists are honest and ethical, and that they are offended by this stupid act."

Anthony Doyle, publishing editor for the Springer journal Engineering with Computers, in which the paper was published, also told Nature that the journal will label it as "retracted" online, and include an erratum in the next issue drawing attention to the matter. "Springer takes plagiarism very seriously."

Qahreman

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
deerouz said:
Yes, some authors submit the same paper of THEIR OWN with minimal changes to two different publications. Even that is not acceptable (IEEE bans self-plagiarism). But this dumbass copied the paper of a Korean author (from 2002) and submitted it in his own name!l?
NVM... i hadn't look closely enough to see he copied and pasted the work of others.

Like Abedzade said, if its your own work yea people do it often... even other peoples work it happens every now and then, but that's when the advisor is the same or when two researches are in the same group they 'borrow' paragraphs from each other.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005

I don't know what kind of Conferance and .... you submit your paper but NO ONE who has LITTLE BIT of integrity does that.

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
sorry for late reply. Actually non. I used my own methodologies and parameters but when it came to writingd (introductions etc...) I did simply copy (with minimal re-wording) from textbooks. But no I did not copy anybody elses journals the way our science minister did!
You should consider yourself very lucky. We had a PhD student that was kicked off the program because he simply copied from books and review articles in his Thesis introduction. This is simply plagiarism. You can not copy others work be it from research article, Review article, Books or internet. Rule of thumb is you can not have 5 consecutive words similar to another published work. The student I mentioned above was caught by one of his committee member and was exposed during his Thesis defense. 5 year went down the drain for just being lazy.

You should not do that, and prey no one find about this because you can simply lose you degree.

Abedzadeh Jan, that is not really cheating then.
Footballeirani aziz, are you serious or being sarcastic?

Jun 18, 2005
Sepahan Aziz,

I was under the impression that Abedzadeh was basically copying the other works entirely while tweaking some of the data.

So maybe I should have used different words when he told me that was not the case. Yes, if you go ahead and copy paste the introduction from another paper word by word that is cheating and a serious offense.

but what is worse in this case is that apparently some of the methods and results have also been copied off the other paper. That is the stunning part.

(and also the fact that this paper was published by Daneshjou in another journal with some changes)

and if Daneshjou's student did this without his knowledge then he should not be the first author. That itself is another academic misconduct.