The real story behind our Omid team's elimination

peyz

Bench Warmer
Oct 11, 2004
The real story behind our Omid elimination

After the miserable showing by the whole Iranian team and staff, I was ready to rant about how pathetic our “stars” like Ansarifard, Afshin, Hajsafi, … performed and how they displayed a (lack of) quality seen only in back allies of provinces in Iran rather than a national team. I was down and wrote on and on about how Mansourian’s inexperience got exposed when none of his substitutions made any impact on the last 30 minutes of the game. I screamed about the lack of playmaker and any sort of creativity in the middle. I wrote and wrote about how idiotic and immature our players were with their insistence on back heels and unorthodox passing when the more straight forward passes would have sufficed. I remarked on the easy chances and goals we conceded.

And I wrote in anger and dismay … until I came across this little gem of a news:
Omid’s midfielder Jalal Kamyabinia, was ineligible and barred from play in our away game in Iraq by AFC.
But here’s the twist: Due to IFF’s incompetence and their failure in conveying this news to the staff, Kamyabynia did play in that game and AFC announced they ruled that game in favor of Iraq by a scoreline of 3-0.

This catastrophic news was brought to the staff and later on, to the team’s attention who understandably lost all their hopes and drive and apparently some of the lads actually wept in the dressing room. Nobody can bear such a twist of fate, from a 1-0 ahead in an away game to a 3-0 loss in a matter of seconds.

This put everything in context and made sense of all the poor passing, rushed, emotional hurried game, and generally the whole miserable performance. Now I am left with my anger, but directed at the ever incompetent and frankly, brainless federation of ours rather than the poor lads whose legs must have felt like lead, trying to claw their way back from a 3-0 deficit.

And this completes the infamy of Kafashian’s federation who has failed in each and every major tournament Iran participated in. Incompetence bordering on criminal! Enough is enough, Mr. Kafashian. High time you took away your misery-ridden shadow of incompetence away from our football, once and for all.

You know what is the worst part of it all? It's that the IFF had the AFC notice of Kamyabikia's suspension FOUR MONTHS in advance of the Iraq game!!! Such is the extent of IFF's pathetic incompetence.

Last edited: