The Week in Green

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzf9Lpz_rCI"]YouTube - Episode One: The Week in Green With Hamid Dabashi - Exclusive interview with Shirin Neshat[/ame]

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
And I thought hijacking threads was against the rules here.

Well done people including the admin himself!
It depends how you hijack it -- this is called soft hijacking! And how do you know he didn't give himself a warning?

To be honest, I feel pretty bad when these guys try to attach themselves to a movement that really has little to do with them. Come on! "Rishehayeh honari va zibai-shenakhti e jonbesheh azadi khahi e mardom e iran"??? I had some respect for Debashi but seriously, come on!! There should be a limit to intellectualism. And then you go and pick Shirin Neshat who has made a career out of misery of Iranian women. I don't know, that's too rich for my taste.

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
I And then you go and pick Shirin Neshat who has made a career out of misery of Iranian women. I don't know, that's too rich for my taste.
That is a very harsh and mean judgment you just passed on her. It's uncalled for and completely not true.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
That is a very harsh and mean judgment you just passed on her. It's uncalled for and completely not true.
You're right. That's harsh. But it's my judgment and there is nothing personal about it. And it is the truth. She became famous with her work on the misery of Iranian women (or Muslim women in general). I don't like her work esthetically but I also think it is opportunistic, easy, and quite cheap. You may disagree and you are entitled to your opinion just as I am.

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
And then you go and pick Shirin Neshat who has made a career out of misery of Iranian women. I don't know, that's too rich for my taste.
What utter nonsense! By this logic any artist who draws attention to injustice is 'making a career out of other people's misery'.:rolleyes:

Regardless of what we think of her make-up(!), she is an artist who uses her talent to deal with issues that, as a middle-eastern female, personally resonate with her and affect the lives of millions of women like her. Your "opinion" of her is completely unfounded and downright absurd.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
I apologize if I hijacked the thread but its hard for someone to be taken seriously when they appear in such a distracting and honestly comical fashion. Could you listen to Obama if he came out wearing a shiny purple suit with a feather in his hat? Or if Olberman was wearing a clown costume?

Im sure she has great things to say but some professionalism would be nice.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
I apologize if I hijacked the thread but its hard for someone to be taken seriously when they appear in such a distracting and honestly comical fashion. Could you listen to Obama if he came out wearing a shiny purple suit with a feather in his hat? Or if Olberman was wearing a clown costume?

Im sure she has great things to say but some professionalism would be nice.
i am sorry as well, but as said that makeup just makes the comical and u cant take them seriously

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
What utter nonsense! By this logic any artist who draws attention to injustice is 'making a career out of other people's misery'.:rolleyes:

Regardless of what we think of her make-up(!), she is an artist who uses her talent to deal with issues that, as a middle-eastern female, personally resonate with her and affect the lives of millions of women like her. Your "opinion" of her is completely unfounded and downright absurd.
Of course there is nothing wrong with drawing attention to issues. That's if you think plight of Muslim women and their oppression was such an obscure issue and really needed drawing attention in 1990s and 2000s. In my opinion, those were just easy targets or what audiences she had in the west liked to see/hear. And she routinely catered to that.

I don't know how long you have known her but I have followed her work over the past 10 years or so, when she wasn't this famous. As I said, I don't like her work aesthetically (I have absolutely nothing against her makeup -- in fact I think that's an interesting statement) but that's not the point here. I don't like the subjects of her work because I think she uses them to her benefit. It's not that she works on veiled women to draw attention to them, it's because that's already an easy and hot subject that would draw attention to her. It's not the other way around.

It's the same type of problem I have with Azar Nafisi's Reading Lolita in Tehran (granted, Shirin Neshat is much more genuine than Nafisi). It abuses the issue (which is a true one) into what her specific audience wants to read. And please don't come back and tell me that I have an issue with successful female artists of Iran in my chauvinistic male dominated world!!

So you may want to call my opinion of her unfounded and absurd but I have a feeling that I have given my "opinion" of her more thought than you've given yours.