The weightlifting thread

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I thought most of us guys here worked out at some point and we probably do some sort of exercise. Even if you are not into martial arts I'm sure you play soccer or something. THE GOAL OF THIS THREAD IS TO MOTIVATE AND ENCOURAGE PLUS ADVISE. All of us have something to bring to the table with our experience, even if you just started working out. It doesn't matter if you can only bench the bar honesty when I was starting out it was the bar plus 10 pound weights it was sad so don't be discouraged. This is the best advice do it naturally don't even take supplements if you want protein factor it in your diet naturally don't put chemicals in your body. PLEASE the point is to stay healthy. I'll only talk about things I know so I know a think or two about lifting weights it's just about taking time and practice I started back in college and I sucked I'll be honest I was weak as shit I think my bench press MAX was Under 100 pounds and I at the time weigh 230 lol. I was a fatty boy that is why I played football. Anyways today it's different I am 6'1 183. I am trying to cut to 170 in a healthy manner in one year we usually have annual jiu jitsu or MT tourneys. That is why I lift.

My goal is to one day bench max 3 plates of 45 and that comes to 315 pounds. I usually do my sets of ten at 180 and my max is 2 plates of 45 or 225. My goal is to not lose my strength but still cut to middle weight. Technically it is 175 however, you need to factor in 5 pounds for the GII. I am in a month about to get into a new MMA gym it's armature nothing pro status I'm not that good and I'm 32. Now I finally have a flat stomach but I want to get that six pack and get rid of those luv handles. I am slowly getting rid of it.
IROONI DUDES GET RID OF THE WITE RICE and chelo kabob only once a week ok fellas. What I realized is its like 70% on your DIET so you can do whatever you want in workout and you won't get results. Also your body type determines your results. I won't ever look like Arnold but I will still be lean/muscly that is not a problem. Others can be yoked easily it's how your body type is built. If I don't watch my diet, I will gain weight quickly.

Anyways I say we should

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
um ok anything else? Do you lift weights? This thread will die if nobody is interested and what does BTT mean? I'm not here to fight or instigate something with someone so if it's something bad just don't let me know.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I really don't like squatting any more. I lost a ton of calories and it works so many muscles.

but unfortunately it works the hell out of one body joint called Knee. which really does not get better with abuse.

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
I used to really be into weightlifting. I worked as a personal trainer at GoodLife fitness on bloor street in Toronto, man those were some fun times. I'm more into running, swimming and playing sports now. I have too many back issues from wrestling and weightlifting when I was younger. I know myself if I go back I'd be doing squats and DLs and fuck up my back even worse. Yeah I know if you do it with correct form blah blah it doesn't hurt you, but that's only for people who are very well balanced and don't have prior injuries.

Anyway good luck with the lifting bro and let me know if you want some tips because I was really into it all through my highschool and 20s.

ps. conventional weight training would not be my first choice for bjj, a lot of the strength doesn't really translate well into real world applications. You would want to customize your strength training to your sport specific needs. BJJ would require a lot of isometric pulling exercises from different angles. Grip strength is huge. Also it depends on your style. I would look into the TRX type of exercises more. What I mean by all of this is look more into functional (movement) training than pure strength training.

A program based on prilepin's chart would go hand in hand with a sport like football or wrestling (power based), I would combine that with explosive Core, TRX, balance, endurance exercises to make a program for MMA. The focus would be more on endurance and core strength.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Finally I didn't know what BTT means thank you BT for the explination. Bro I understand BT on the motivation the worst part about Alaska was I had to do it at 5 AM to avoid my dad and then we only had five hours of light. I also was in Calgary for a winter so I know how that is like it sucks. I liket o workout early in the moring because there are no dbags grunting and screaming that early and you can get through a full workout in one hour by breaking ot down to 30 min of lifting, followed by 30 min of hiit.

Maybe if it's too cold you can do indoor activities if martial arts is not your thing and you don't like the idea of Mauy Thai or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu maybe boxing? it's a hell of a workout in MT and Boxing you use the same foot movements only MT involves knees and elbows(traditional style not American or Dutch) Also, when I was in a cold place I would swim indoors but we had that facility that might not be avail but maybe swim for 30 min you really get ripped. I also like to golf and kick with firneds on challenging hickes we are talking 5-6 miles so it is hard dude you are sore for like 1 1/2 days. My friends from work used to do 10 miles but that is obnoxous because you start at like 12 and you are not done until like 7 and you are so tired you need like three days for your today to recorder.
Here
I actually do a different workout than what they do it is a 1 HR hIIT training and you sweat like a piggy piggy and you get your 4-5 miles done in an hr. Here is what you do and here is what a friend swho is a personal trainger at this MT academy does. You SPRINT for 30 seconds then you walk for a min. Do that and if you are somwhat fast you should do about 3 miles in 27 min so factor in you are talking hills here so 4-5 miles is about what I hit in ah hr. Sprint for 30 seconds do two short breath in's then one long breathe out for your 30 sec sprints and then you walk for a min and the idea is to get your heart rate rapidly moving so you are drenched. Now if you smoke I don't recommend this occasional every other weekend weed is not what I am talking about here. If you smoke cigs don't do this workout this is very advanced and if you are not fit and don't have the right equipment, you can get BADLY HURT!