This is how Canada owns USA in World Economic Forum!

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Just brilliant..was so proud of our Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, today, when at World Economic Forum was asked to share his experience and Canada's great strategies that lead Canada to be the only G7 country not having its Banks affected/bailed out,etc by Global Recession recently, and now Canada is the G8 leader in Economic Recovery.

love it how he slammed Obama and U.S Administration's huge economic blunders recently and in the past year or so..:)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVqNkFGP0F0[/media]

Oct 18, 2002
I am no partisan where it comes to Canadian politics, but let's give credit where due: Canada's financial strength was built by Paul Martin as finance minister throughout 90s and early 2000s. All the fiscal responsibility and regulations that kept the banks in place started from those era. The conservative government has not contributed much to the stability; in fact, the impact of its huge spending program is something we will have to wait and see. If you check conservative sites and forums you see the conservative thinktanks and grassroot are mostly dissatisfied with Harper in his role as PM.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
The fact is that Canada is a moderate country by nature. It is its moderation culture that has masked it from the economic crisis and not anything that Harper has done.

On the other hand, many, due to this moderation, consider Canada a country of average ideas, opportunities, and people. There is some truth to that.

Oct 18, 2002
The fact is that Canada is a moderate country by nature. It is its moderation culture that has masked it from the economic crisis and not anything that Harper has done.

On the other hand, many, due to this moderation, consider Canada a country of average ideas, opportunities, and people. There is some truth to that.
That's very true as well.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
LOOOOOOOOOOL i thought he was a crazy man ! what happened? you used to bash him at every chance you got ! now you see why i voted for him? the guy is a master mind.
loool, well Im "woman" enough to admit I was wrong about him..:) he and Flaherty have done an incredible job preventing much impact in Canada's economy. :) gotta love Mike Carney(Central bank) too! god he is sooo wise,smart and good!:)
*btw, ur ------(I told u about) was the reason I got to realize Obama's mismanagement(and fooling his audience with his nice words/look)..

thats very true Khodam jan, but it wasnt just Canadian culture that saved Canada's banks and businesses from crashing out like in USA.

Canada's banking system regulation is based on a very strong foundation with lots of regulation.

but Harper also immediately(despite Conservatives being famous for not wanting to pour $ into the system), added Stimulus package into the system as soon as few banks in USA crashed out..but it was stupid Canada's provinces whom received Federal cash but just didnt spend it as fast as they had to, and they were blaming Federal govt for it, until Fed govt showed proof of documents when those stimulus $ have been sent to provinces! ;)

The fact that Harper's thinking is so sound, that 2 months ago went to China to boost trade(so from now on, Canada wont rely on USA as much as before anymore), + more trading agreement with EU(as he mentioned in this speech), and the fact that he is WISE enough to realize(just like major economic analysts said) that what Obama is doing, trying to reduce/eliminate trading from major banks, hence reducing liquidity in USA (hurting USA banks and American bank customers), will only hurt USA, bc Canada's banks are safe enough, and as he bravely said: "Canada will NOT abide by any suggestions(from USA probably in G20 summit in Summer 2010), to take "protectionism" approach(or devaluing $USA to boost export as USA has been doing for 2 yrs now),etc!!
bc just bc USA fails to fix its system, doesnt mean other countries have to be hurt by it! ;)

Canada is simply the World leader in Economic model, and other major countries(China, EU, Latin America,etc) will all fully recover from recession, while USA will prob go through another double-deep recession if they keep bailing out and justifying AIG,etc bailouts(as Geitner just did few days ago!). ;) :)

Oct 18, 2002
Well, let's enjoy it and hope that the current $85 billion budget deficit introduced under this government will not have a long lasting negative impact. I hope finance minister Flaherty knows what he is doing. So far his stimulus package seems to have worked. But it is also interesting to see liberal fans supporting Harper's economic policies while his conservative base is widely criticizing him :D

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Well, let's enjoy it and hope that the current $85 billion budget deficit introduced under this government will not have a long lasting negative impact. I hope finance minister Flaherty knows what he is doing. So far his stimulus package seems to have worked. But it is also interesting to see liberal fans supporting Harper's economic policies while his conservative base is widely criticizing him :D
loool,hehe yeah eh? it is interesting that his extreme conservative MPs are criticizing him(bc as u know Conservatists are famous for not pouring any $ into system like Liberals-Democrats do!;) ), but what I liked about Harper's fast move for Stimulus package was that he put aside his partisanship, literally made his ideological friends mad at him, but in 1 yr, proved how competent his govt have been, and how incompetent Liberals have been(first Liberal criticized his stimulus package and now that it has worked, they r admiring it!lol). ba yek tir 2 neshoon zad!;)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2005
How can he slam Obama when Obama came into the office a year ago inheriting all the blunders the past administration has done for the past 8 years?

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
How can he slam Obama when Obama came into the office a year ago inheriting all the blunders the past administration has done for the past 8 years?
LOL, Thank you. Harper is FULL Of IT. He is all for open market BS, samething that Bosh and his gang were all about BUT he is so stupid that he does not realize that our banks did not fail because we did not adapt the free flowing system of US banks and we had more regulation with the loans and ...

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
yeah and he is taking credit for it, this same fucker wanted to deregulate banks when he was in the opposition. Paul Martin is the man to thank, he was the one who resisted calls for deregulation. I'm no liberal, but he saved our ass, Stephen Harper just likes to take credit for it.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
exactly...the reason is that Harper was sucking up the 8 years before to the Bush administration, the same people responsible for the mess.

As for everything else he said...sorry...I have to bring out the great American philosopher AI...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsId3goYYE"]YouTube- Allen Iverson talks about PRACTICE.[/ame]

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
loool,hehe yeah eh? it is interesting that his extreme conservative MPs are criticizing him(bc as u know Conservatists are famous for not pouring any $ into system like Liberals-Democrats do!;) ), but what I liked about Harper's fast move for Stimulus package was that he put aside his partisanship, literally made his ideological friends mad at him, but in 1 yr, proved how competent his govt have been, and how incompetent Liberals have been(first Liberal criticized his stimulus package and now that it has worked, they r admiring it!lol). ba yek tir 2 neshoon zad!;)

yeah aeeehm...and you know what...Harper's ideological friends were against any stimulus package, health care bill or anything else that would actually contribute to the mess they are responsible for in the Senate, which is the main reason Obama and Democrats can't push their agenda through.

Like I said, talking about practice, not the actual game....but practice.

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !

yes and ....

the the multi billion dollar grain deals with India and China and sharp increase in standard of life in India has been the real back up of Canadian economy to average out failures in the services sector.

Harper is a shrewd politician even though he looks like an inbred. While the US spend all his money on blackwater and exportation of democracy to a bunch of camel jockeys that wouldn't know democracy if it was rubbed on a vibrator and rammed up their bottom five times a day, Harper spent money on infrustructure and changing the agricultural basics to fit the needs of China and india (soy, rice).

Liberals and my National Democrats would have not been successful in achieving these goals.

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm sorry but this is absolute bullshit. One of the primary reason why Canada was not hit as hard as the US is because of the lack of competition between Canadian banks. Here in Canada we have 6-7 major banks that offer Retail, Commercial and Invesment banking services whereas in the US as of 2004 there were as many as 7000+ banks.
Higher competition means more appetite for taking on risk in order to beat others and the rest we all know.

The only person I like representing Canada these days is Mike Carney.. he knows his shit.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I'm sorry but this is absolute bullshit. One of the primary reason why Canada was not hit as hard as the US is because of the lack of competition between Canadian banks. Here in Canada we have 6-7 major banks that offer Retail, Commercial and Invesment banking services whereas in the US as of 2004 there were as many as 7000+ banks.
Higher competition means more appetite for taking on risk in order to beat others and the rest we all know.

The only person I like representing Canada these days is Mike Carney.. he knows his shit.
yeah I know eh?! I love Mike Carney..absolutely love/admire this guy..was reading his bio on Canadian magazine and was amazed at his talent and background-experience in such young age..and god he is spot on, on every major monetary-economic decision he makes. :)

About Canadian banks, well one thing that really helped Canadian banks Not to get polluted like that of USA, was that in Canada pretty much "investment bank" is non-existent. whereas in USA, many ppl had put their life savings on Investment banks only, or their retail banks had major financial deals with Investment banks, that when those Investment banks failed, everyone failed with them..

yeah aeeehm...and you know what...Harper's ideological friends were against any stimulus package, health care bill or anything else that would actually contribute to the mess they are responsible for in the Senate, which is the main reason Obama and Democrats can't push their agenda through.

Like I said, talking about practice, not the actual game....but practice.
no honey, things arent as crystal clear as u think it is.

Harper has EVOLVED, CHANGED from how he was during Bush era and made his biggest mistake in sending/adding troops to Afghanistan as per USA request, and now he's realized that and is MAKING UP FOR IT in all other aspects internally with his great policies for Canadians.

but Obama is still the same VAGUE(Akhound-sounding goodlooking guy with nice sweet words) politicians that fooled millions of Americans including Noble Peace Prize committee!

trust me I was fooled by him and his team too until recently, but I talked to few ppl who live IN USA, I went to Chicago and actually discussed American politics-Obama with the taxi driver(the street ppl Obama promised to listen to but never did), and finally found out what American PEOPLE WANT/NEED and how Disconnected Obama's Administration is from American ppl's needs..

thats why "Zob Ahan"( the knowledgeable member here) is spot on when he says "the best investment in USA Real Estate is in "Affordable housing"!!! its sad but soo true..bc Americans gonna live a very poor life in the next 4-8 yrs bc of Obama's wrong policies.

just read newspaper articles(both written in USA and in Canada), and you'll realize how smart American public have got regarding Obama's tricks, and that its perfectly argued in articles here that "dont blame everything on Bush, Unemployment until Bush was in charge was %8.5, but since he left it increased to %10 even until today. so clearly Obama couldnt even contain unemployment despite its massive bailouts/stimulus package".

while in contrary, in Canada Unemployment have DECREASED since Nov 2008 when Recession happened, along with other positive stats here in Canada, and that clearly shows how INCOMPETENT Obama has been in managing/containing current recession in USA, and how COMPETENT Harper/Mike Carney have been in perfectly managing recession in Canada and leading all G8 countries bc of their great management!;)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
WOW! Nilu you're on a roll lately!

Harper deserving credit for Canada's economic strength?!!! LOL!!!!

I could debate the "strength" part for ages, but let's say it really could be considered "strength". Even then, Paul Martin would be the prophet to pray to, not Stephen Harper!

Can you or Pooya name me ONE thing that Harper has done to deserve credit for this so called "strength"? (I think it's a weakness in the long run but anyway)

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
yeah I know eh?! I love Mike Carney..absolutely love/admire this guy..was reading his bio on Canadian magazine and was amazed at his talent and background-experience in such young age..and god he is spot on, on every major monetary-economic decision he makes. :)

About Canadian banks, well one thing that really helped Canadian banks Not to get polluted like that of USA, was that in Canada pretty much "investment bank" is non-existent. whereas in USA, many ppl had put their life savings on Investment banks only, or their retail banks had major financial deals with Investment banks, that when those Investment banks failed, everyone failed with them..

Nilou jan - Investment banks do exist in Canada - I work for one.

All the major banks here in Canada have investment banking arms. RBC Dominion Securities, TD Securities, BMO Nesbit Burns are some examples. And individuals, like you and me, cannot invest their money at investment banks per se! Investment banks only deal with governments and corporations help them address their financing needs.
However, you can bank with Bank of America for example who in return helps Merril Lynch (owned by BofA) to assume speculative positions through their proprietary sales and trading.