TM Iran Information Thread

Feb 4, 2005
Put achievements aside since different people have different expectations and could never come to an agreement. These are the things CQ did and I respect him for that:

1. As a player you don't ghero ghamish or you'll be gone for good even if you're the starting keeper with TM in need of winning the last three remaining games or missing out on the world cup.
2. Fighting with nails and teeth to get some respect for TM. Proper jerseys, kot o shalvar, bus. small but professional things nobody ever thought of.
3. That building (can't remember the name) he forced to be built for TM only.
4. Making IFF and other assholes shit their pants when they said something that he as a professional could not accept. He was not a YES MAN.
5. Thinking of and Bringing in 2 rageh players to Iran which helped us advance to WC 2014 and also helped other players to raise their game.
6. Finding and encouraging young talents to go to European clubs (even in lower leagues) since he soon realized no good come from our league in terms of player development
7. Building a team that even though didn't play Cheshm Navaz games (imo), at least had a plan and all players would stick to and perform it perfectly (almost). We had respectable showing at WC 2018 (even to some extent in 2014) and even in our qualifications (Ask Koreans for example,).

Could he accomplish more (Asian title, advancing to next round of 2022 ...) if he was given more time? We'll never know.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2014
Just a few points regarding the ranking systems:

FIFA ranking system currently is based on the Elo system, devised by Prof. Elo, originally for rating chess players. It is probably the best system for ranking multi-player games. FIFA switched to this method in 2018.

Up until 98, the FIFA ranking system was a joke. It was slightly improved. In 2006 it was changed radically. And in 2018 it was switched to a system similar to Elo. Comparing FIFA rankings before and after 2006 is meaningless.

If you want to compare rankings over the years, you should look at the Elo rankings for football. You can find it here https://www.eloratings.net/.
You can look at each country's rank over the years.

FUN FACT: The current ELO rankings has England, Wales, US, Iran in positions 12, 23,24,25 respectively. So in theory, beating Wales and US is not that big of a stretch ( In 1998, USA outranked Iran by much more). Unfortunately, it will depend a lot on prep games, and IFF competency.:confused:

Dec 30, 2014
Now my personal view on Branko, CQ and Skocic. Disclaimer, I do not know any of them personally, so my opinions are based on what I have surmised from the results, team selection, video clips, etc.

Branko was an ok coach on a technical level. BUT, he lacked leadership abilities, which is a big requirement for a successful coach. Thus his reliance on daei and the old guard, despite the fact that everyone knew Daei is well past his prime. His lack of leadership showed in the fractional nature of TM at the time.

CQ was also a decent technical coach. But what he lacked in technical abilities, he more than made up by his leadership and inspirational ability. This is how he over-achieved with a team of mediocre talent.

Skocic probably has below technical ability and experience. But he had the personal courage of taking over a splintering team that was about to sink. I am not sure about his leadership ability or ability to inspire players to over achieve, which is what they need to do to advance. To me, his body language speaks of a person who has inner confidence, but not necessarily the personal charisma of a person like CQ. I am not in favor of replacing him with anyone other than CQ, And even with CQ is getting too late.

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
If we could argue that Branco had the highest ever FIFA ranking , which we all know that ranking formulas were a joke in that time, we could conclude that the failure of a highly rankEd team to get only 1 point against lowly Angola, was the biggest failure ever in our football history. Then Branco was the biggest failure ever even though he ACHIEVED ( won the Asian games).

fuzzy logic?

Last edited:

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
If we could argue that Branco had the highest ever FIFA ranking , which we all know that ranking formulas were a joke in that time, we could conclude that the failure of a highly rankEd team to get only 1 point against lowly Angola, was the biggest failure ever in our football history. Then Branco was the biggest failure ever even though he ACHIEVED ( won the Asian games).

fozzy logic?
TM was qualified to WC 2006 under him when failed to qualified for 2002 WC. That is an achievement!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Thus his reliance on daei and the old guard, despite the fact that everyone knew Daei is well past his prime. His lack of leadership showed in the fractional nature of TM at the time.
I agree with you about Branko and his lack of leadership. However, the inclusion of Daei was more due to him being a "yes man" than his lack of leadership.

Daei was not selected by Branko. It was the system's policy to add to his scoring record as much as possible so he could become unreachable. Daei was forced to Branko and he happily accepted.

uhl

Jun 20, 2021
CQ worshipers have now sunk to the levels of denying science. :LOL:
Kinda similar to flat earth believers :unsure:

But at least the behavior is consistent with the fanatical religious bubble cult worship mentality they possess (y)

uhl

Jun 20, 2021
Put achievements aside since different people have different expectations and could never come to an agreement. These are the things CQ did and I respect him for that:

1. As a player you don't ghero ghamish or you'll be gone for good even if you're the starting keeper with TM in need of winning the last three remaining games or missing out on the world cup.
2. Fighting with nails and teeth to get some respect for TM. Proper jerseys, kot o shalvar, bus. small but professional things nobody ever thought of.
3. That building (can't remember the name) he forced to be built for TM only.
4. Making IFF and other assholes shit their pants when they said something that he as a professional could not accept. He was not a YES MAN.
5. Thinking of and Bringing in 2 rageh players to Iran which helped us advance to WC 2014 and also helped other players to raise their game.
6. Finding and encouraging young talents to go to European clubs (even in lower leagues) since he soon realized no good come from our league in terms of player development
7. Building a team that even though didn't play Cheshm Navaz games (imo), at least had a plan and all players would stick to and perform it perfectly (almost). We had respectable showing at WC 2018 (even to some extent in 2014) and even in our qualifications (Ask Koreans for example,).

Could he accomplish more (Asian title, advancing to next round of 2022 ...) if he was given more time? We'll never know.
1. CQ also kicked out Seyed Jalal from TM before the World Cup because he scored the game winning goal against Al-Jazeera in ACL R16. He also kicked out all the Perspolis players from the famous Dubai camp cause they refused to make a statement against Branko. He would also black list any player for making even the slightest critical remark towards him. Point being that he was more concerned about his overall power and control rather than player ethics/behavior. Also Azmoun quit the NT after the world cup but he was immediately brought back but we’re not supposed to talk about that.

P.s Skocic did the same with Taremi recently and some of you guys were calling for his head.

2. We were the only team in the World Cup that paid the kit supplier to wear their brand in the most watched sporting event in he world. Literally every other country (including North Korea in 2010) got paid for wearing kits but we did the opposite and paid them instead. Then after the World Cup adidas turned around and disrespectfully told us that they were cutting ties with us but we went ahead and wore their kits in the Asian cup anyway. Yea that’s putting some real respect on TM.

Also TM has a bus before CQ (maybe not on field lol) and our players wore suits as well. Here is an example before 2006 World Cup:

5446928.jpg

3. No building was ever built. This is another lie commonly circulating the CQ cult bubbles. The building you are referring to already belonged to the IFF and was being used by IFMARC. They took part of it and made it into a gym for the national teams. That’s all.

4. Not sure how to even respond to this BS but the most corrupt officials in IFF history (Kafashian Taj Saket) were fighting tooth and nail to extend CQ’s contract every chance they got. Most likely cause they were getting in on the action on his ginormous salary. Btw these were the same guys that brought us Wilmots afterwards but I guess everything was done by the books in the 8 years CQ was there. lol ok.

5. We have had foreign based players in TM with pretty much every manager in recent years.
Branko brought Fereydoon Zandi and he was also invited by Ghalenoei, Daei, and Ghotbi.
Daei brought Amir Shapourzadeh.
Ghotbi also invited Dejagah to TM for Asian cup 2011 but his club Wolfsburg put him under pressure to not go.
So this idea that CQ was the one that started bringing foreign based players to TM is pure BS.

7. We parked the plane for 8 years straight. A short sighted, result oriented style with no future which is most commonly utilized by the weakest of teams. And in the end we had nothing to show for it.

Keep the BS coming (y)

Last edited:

HalaMadrid

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
CQ worshipers have now sunk to the levels of denying science. :LOL:
Kinda similar to flat earth believers :unsure:

But at least the behavior is consistent with the fanatical religious bubble cult worship mentality they possess (y)
This is why I enjoy this thread! so fun talking to these people. Similar when you talk to akhoonds, denying everything, and spinning things to favour their argument and then change the criteria to favour another argument.
Maybe I am too robotic, but for me, you can not claim someone is best at something if there is "ZERO" evidence to prove it! IF CQ was the best coach in Iran's history, show me "ONE" just "ONE" think Team Melli achieved (result wise) that was not done before! just "ONE"
Highest FIFA ranking? NO
Qualified from WC Group? NO
Made it to Final of Asian cup? NO

what exactly did he achieve, then "some" say you have high expectation, what did you want him to do! well, if our team SUCKS and we should be same level of India, then what was the point of CQ! I dont get it, you say "CQ is amazing coach, best" then when I say What did he achieve? you say what did you expect him to do! If you dont see the problem here, then not much can be said :)
As you said, flat earths also strongly believe in their logic and denying evidence, where have I seen people like that ??? :unsure:

HalaMadrid

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
You are absolutely right.
Qualifying with Daei, Kia, Karimi,.... is an achievement but qualifying with the no star team of 2014 can not be considered achievment
dude, reedi be ena ke !!!
  • Khosro Heydari
  • Hajsafi
  • Jalal Hosseini
  • Nekounam
  • Shojaei
  • Jahanbakhsh
  • Ansarifard
  • Haghighi
  • Teymourian
  • Ghoochannejhad
  • Beitashour
  • Dejagah
(I am not sure) and too tired to look it up, but I have a feeling Iran had more European based players in 2014 vs 2006.
regardless, lets assume both teams were there same, then both are achievements, then CQ = Branko! :) Again, what has he done to be considered the best coach of Iran!

HalaMadrid

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
Don't forget Hashemian, Nekounam, Teymourian, Zandi and not the least our bench which was full of our golden omid team players, including Navidkia and Borhani.

With a proper coach this team could and should have gone to the next round.
Statistically (I know you dont believe in Stats but hey for those that do) Iran had the EASIEST group in 2018 (the only time both teams that qualified from Iran group eliminated in round of 16) so any comment there? Why do I bother I sometimes wonder!