TM Iran Information Thread

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
It looks like CQ has decided to go with his 2014 formula with older players. Not having adequate time to build the team can explain his decision.
That means TM will have a problem to score goals. There are times that you need technical players and creativity to break down the opponent’s defence. Young players like Salmani, Hosseinzadeh , Mohebi and even Ghaedi can be useful in the final 30 minutes of a match when a goal is needed. They have the energy, the resolve and the skill.
TM lacked that option against Nigeria and Bosnia in 2014. Someone like Ali Karimi might have made a difference in the final 20-30 minutes of the match against Nigeria when the Nigerian side was frustrated and exhausted.
I know this may sound insane, but given CQ’s strategy he may as well include Ashkan Dejagah in the team. If he is fit to play 20 minutes of good football, he can be useful particularly with his ability to distribute the ball and take the set pieces. After all, CQ’s teams depend heavily on set pieces to score.

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Well, someone had to be left out. But I’m surprised both mohebi and ghaedi are excluded.Also surprised at inclusion of shoja. A little surprised that sarlak got the edge over Asadi.
I am a bit disappointed Ghaedi is not there , but perhaps he is not as fit and ready to edge Torabi or Ansarifard.

It's a good selection, Ansarifard has a lot of experience and can make a difference coming in the last quarter of the game if need be.

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
Is it the final list? It seems like it is for the upcoming camp and friendlies. Things may change.
I think you are right.
For instance, there are three LBs ( actually 4 LBs if you include hajsafi) and the same number of RBs on the list. I think that is because there is quite a bit of uncertainty surrounding these two positions. I will be surprised if he takes more than two defenders for each flank to Qatar. The other two players will be dropped.
Hopefully players like Mohebi and Salamani will have the opportunity to go to Qatar. The experience would be a good learning opportunity for young footballers.
In fact, I don’t understand why they don’t take a few of these younger players with them to Austria. It can’t be that expensive.

Last edited:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Well, someone had to be left out. But I’m surprised both mohebi and ghaedi are excluded.Also surprised at inclusion of shoja. A little surprised that sarlak got the edge over Asadi.
I got also surprised for the inclusion and the exclusion of exactly the same players. But then CQ has shown he knows what he's doing. The included players either will have to adapt to his tactics or they'll br excluded next time. So I'm not really worried!

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Is it the final list? It seems like it is for the upcoming camp and friendlies. Things may change.
Think so
I think he is trying to do first things first, that is making the foundation.

He knows he doesn't have much time so is using what himself and Skocic tried before that worked.
As usual he pays more attention to Europe based players. Added Qatar based players for obvious reason.
He doesn't want to waste time fighting with Persepolise management and fans. That is why he has invited 5 PP players plus some old PP players. He will shave this part of the list at the final selection.
He doesn't trust skinny players.

I am optimistic.

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
Anyone surprised that Sadeghi didn’t get picked?
IMO, he never had a chance over more physical players of midfield that CQ prefers. Hope he gets his refund from sko and estili:)

no play makers.Perhaps with a little stretch, torabi

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Anyone surprised that Sadeghi didn’t get picked?
IMO, he never had a chance over more physical players of midfield that CQ prefers. Hope he gets his refund from sko and estili:)

no play makers.Perhaps with a little stretch, torabi
The younger players he has have great chance to make it to the final list.
I think it is a fair list except Ansarifard, HajSafi, Abedzadeh, NoorAfkan. I like Omid's game but can he really do it at this age?
Ezzatollahi is a mystery, w/o. a club?
Hope Amiri and Noorollahi recover, doubt so
Same about Ali Karimi, he is not always eye-catching but he rarely gets overwhelmed
Missing Mohebi, Ghaedi, Hosseinzadeh but it is their own fault. If CQ was there 6 months ago and Hosseinzadeh didn't have a last minute move he could have been our answer in the midfield.

Azmoun
Taremi JB
Amiri Karimi Hardani
Ezzat
Hosseini PAG Kanani
Biranvand

I am glad we are underdogs
We usually underperform in games that we think we are the better side like Bosnia or Angola games

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
Majidi had similar issues with the visa when his UAE team was going to camp there. Took him an extra week to get his visa.
In case they want a replacement, mehdipoor and asadi must be prime candidates.but they may just wait it out and hope he gets his visa in time at least for the second game