TM Women's Ex Coach Becomes 1st Female Manager in the Top 2 Tiers of the Top 5 Euro Leagues

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
European Football - French club make history by appointing female coach

May 7th, 2014
Rada Maher
Eurosport

Iran women’s coach Costa, 39, has previously managed the Qatar and Benfica women’s sides. The Portuguese has also worked in men’s football, most notably as a scout for Scottish champions Celtic. “Costa has come through the ranks of Benfica’s coaching staff, although she has also managed the women’s teams of Qatar, Iran and Odivelas (a Portuguese women’s side). In addition she worked as a scout for Celtic,” Clermont said.

"It should help the club enter a new era." Players reacted positively to the news. "It's a big surprise... It came out of nowhere," forward Remy Dugimont told L'Equipe. "We'll have to learn to know her. We hope it is going to be fine but I don't think there is problem." Defender Anthony Lippini was excited about the development. "I can't wait for next season to discover this," he said. "Being the first professional players to be coached by a woman will be a unique experience." Olivier Chavanon, a former player with Clermont, will join Costa as a sporting director.

Regis Brouard, Clermont's current coach, said he would leave the club this summer on the expiration of his contract. This is not the first time Costa has coached male teams. In addition to being a Celtic scout between 2008 and 2011, she successfully managed Benfica’s youth teams from U9 through to U17s, and won the Lisbon regional championship with Portuguese lower-league team Cheleirense.

Probably her greatest previous achievements in the male game are two World Youth titles for Benfica, with whom she also won a Portuguese national youth championship. Costa is one of the best-qualified coaches football, boasting a Masters degree in sports science, a UEFA A license and the authorship of several articles and seminars on coaching and sports. She also recently commenced a PhD in Sports and PE in Lisbon.

The only other woman to coach a professional men’s team in Europe has been Carolina Morace, who managed third-tier Italian side Viterbese for just two matches before quitting due to constant media pressure way back in 1999. However, there have been several female executives and directors at top football clubs, while female referees are not uncommon in Europe.

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
The thread title reminds me of Iranians explaining their relationship to another person:

Ishoon pesar khaleye, zan amooyeh, baradarzadeyeh, zan dayi shohar man hastand

TM Women's Ex Coach Becomes 1st Female Manager in the Top 2 Tiers of the Top 5 Euro Leagues

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I just don't think cross coaching can work well with men yet. all the dudes are naked and obnoxious in the locker room they will not take a lady manager seriously.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Team Talk question:

Will she drop her trousers at half time in dressing room and tell her players that she has more balls than all of them combined ?

Last edited: