To people with knowledge in webpage design

MIHANDUST

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
I am planning to have a webpage. I was wondering if you could share your knowledge with me. I was thinking to use Frontpage which seems to be a plug and play (module based) software. But I don't like the look and the capability. I am not a software guy although I am fully familiar with software tools for engineering. What program do you recommend to use? How much would it cost and how long do you think it may take to create the webpage?
Do you know a good book that can show me step-by-step procedure to make a webpage? What other resources do I need?
It's going to be a personal webpage.

Thanks in advance,

- MIHANDUST

ali_karimi

Bench Warmer
Dec 19, 2004
Canada
Adobe Dreamweaver FOR SURE. It has everything you need to create a fully functional website. Also, it has the best support of all these types of products in terms of templates available for download and number of users. I think it even has a "For Dummies" book dedicated to it. Definitely something you should check out.

MIHANDUST

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
Thanks aziz jan. I will check on that. Hopefully it is something that doesn't require lots of programming.

-MIHANDUST

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
Thanks aziz jan. I will check on that. Hopefully it is something that doesn't require lots of programming.

-MIHANDUST
It won't require programming if your page is static. If it needs some processing, then you need to program in one or more languages (e.g. PHP, ASP, Java Script)

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
to be honest you can do your form processing without actually programming either.. just follow tutorials for its functionalities with php etc and you can do anything!

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
Thank you guys.

Jaweed jan, by "static" do you mean no animation?

-MIHANDUST
No. I mean not changing. For example this forum is not static because it has to go to database to get information and then create the page to send to your browser.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
difference is ... say you got a news section.. in a static website you have to go and edit the html everytime to change the news items.. in a dynamic website.. you just design the page once and you tell it to grab the first five items from the database and as you add items to your database.. the news items change on your website without you ever changing the code again.. and you can do this without learning anything about programming or scripting.. as long as you have decent common sense!