To the audiophiles on ISP

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I need a little help find an audio receiver to hook up to my new HDTV. I have looked a little on the net and haven't really found what I am looking for. I basically want a decent and inexpensive (not high end, so forget Bose and high end Yamahas, etc.) 5.1 audio receiver with speakers that has a couple of digital inputs and wireless surround speakers. There are some Low-end Yamahas that meet the criteria, but they don't have the wireless surround speakers, and there are some panasonic home theater ones that have a DVD changer and wireless speakers, but don't have enough inputs to act as a viable audio receiver too. Right now, all I will connect to it is a Cable box and a DVD player. Some time down the line, I will probably get a blu-ray player to replace the DVD player, but as long as there are at least 2 digital inputs to the receiver I should be fine (more is better, but at least 2). If you know of any system or have some other relevant input, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Nobody?

Ok how about this? Is there any audio loss if I connect the cable box and DVD/Blu-ray to the TV via HDMI, then take the optical out from the TV and connect to the optical input on the receiver? That way I can deal with a receiver that only has one optical in and both HDMI sources will send the digital sound through the TV to the receiver and out to the speakers.

Oct 18, 2002
Khorus jan,

Sorry for the delayed response. I think a lot has to do with what your budget happens to be and what sort of system you are looking to get. I sold Audio equipment for a living (back in the old college days) so I am pretty well versed on what to do. You could of course call me when you like I PM my phone number to you since the subject could take a long time to write, but the following are some suggestions that I would highly recommend:

1) The most important part of your audio system is and always will be the speakers. This is of course the most subjective one as well, since everyone tends to have their own choice as to what sounds great, but you can differentiate them by deciding whether you are looking at a system that is solely for movies, music or a combination of both.
If the choice is for movies only, you should look at basic 2 way (maybe three way speakers) that are not too expensive. I would suggest any Infinity, JBL, ... brands to be more than sufficient. You could of course get 4 of the same size and type for all the 4 side channels (2 front and 2 rear). The most important components for movies are the center channel speaker (the one that sits on or very close to the TV set) and the subwoofer that is the most dynamic sound effect speaker which is a must for lower frequency sounds that you feel more than hear.
In this case don't be fooled by the expensive speaker sets. Get 4 speakers of the same size and shape, their matching center channel and a sub and you are good to go with most receivers that have the new sound processing circuitry.

If you are looking for music on other hand, which does not sound like you really are, then it would be very important to have better front speakers than the rear ones. In fact a real audiophile does not like more than 2 speakers because most music recordings are done in Stereo.

Now comes the tricky part. If the Mrs has any input in this matter, then you are looking at the smallest, least visible speakers (i.e., Bose cubes or other similar technologies). Although they are OK for sound, they are certainly crap when compared to cheaper speakers that are slightly larger. So no matter what people say, size does matter and that is just sheer physics. So if cosmetics is of concern, look to pay more for less sound, but then again these speakers tend to look better which for the ladies makes them sound better too (strange but this was always a nightmare when a man came shopping with his wife or girlfriend and was looking to get good sound :))

Finally the receiver should do the following:

Provide enough or even more inputs (digital, HDMI, Optical pre-outs and inputs, S video connections and some decent movie processing (sound) manipulations. I would not care about the gimmicks such as watts for how powerful the unit happens to be, unless you are running a disco. But it is very important for the unit to have plenty of inputs for future expansion and additions. The Receiver is ultimately the brain of your system and it pays to have a unit that can grow with your needs over time. If you need more info, call me at anytime and I will be more than happy to assist.