Tony Benn broadcasts the Gaza Appeal live on BBC News.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Good for him and God bless his soul for standing up and saying what many have been thinking. I also think this impartiality argument from the BBC is absolutely ridiculous.

Feb 22, 2005
half-time, thanks for posting. Bi-honar, I agree.

Hooray for those who stand against oppression and injustice anywhere in the world regardless of the race, color, country and who the oppressor and the oppressed are. That compassion is one of the most basic for being an extraordinary person.

May 9, 2004
دمش گرم
بی بی سی برای دارفور و کینا این کار را کرد الان برای غزه عذر بدتر از گناه می اورد !!!آ

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Good for him and God bless his soul for standing up and saying what many have been thinking. I also think this impartiality argument from the BBC is absolutely ridiculous.
indeed..

thanx for the video. and good job by Benn, but its kind of too little too late.Gaza Appeal had to be aired at that time, which was 1 week ago. BBC-Sky news just proved how 'unbiase' they are in world news and journalism..

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
indeed..

thanx for the video. and good job by Benn, but its kind of too little too late.Gaza Appeal had to be aired at that time, which was 1 week ago. BBC-Sky news just proved how 'unbiase' they are in world news and journalism..
Actually Nilou, the fact that BBC refused to air the appeal created a hell of lot of publicity for the appeal that would never have happened if they had aired it! So in a funny way, those who wanted the appeal to be heard should thank the BBC for the publicity, even if it were unintended :)

Personally I don't think such appeals have that much effect. But anyway, there are other channels in the UK that aired the appeal, like ITV and Channel 4 and people always knew how to donate to the appeal if they wanted to. They didn't need the BBC to tell them.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Actually Nilou, the fact that BBC refused to air the appeal created a hell of lot of publicity for the appeal that would never have happened if they had aired it! So in a funny way, those who wanted the appeal to be heard should thank the BBC for the publicity, even if it were unintended :)

Personally I don't think such appeals have that much effect. But anyway, there are other channels in the UK that aired the appeal, like ITV and Channel 4 and people always knew how to donate to the appeal if they wanted to. They didn't need the BBC to tell them.
hehe yeah true, there was reverse type of publicity for the appeal, but still you cant compare number of TV viewers(even just in UK) that BBC and Sky news have compare to ITV or Channel 4.
Also in the long run, it does affect their reputation regarding their claims being 'unbiased' and all that..Just like how CNN-Fox have hugely lost their credibility bc of their political biase, so have BBC-Sky, I think.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
^^^ Maybe Sky yes, but BBC is the only news service that had reporters inside Gaza during the Israeli bombings. We saw a lot more of bombed out Palestinians than we saw of Israeli victimes.
At times it felt like I was watching IRIB!

alborz

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
half-time, thanks for posting. Bi-honar, I agree.

Hooray for those who stand against oppression and injustice anywhere in the world regardless of the race, color, country and who the oppressor and the oppressed are. That compassion is one of the most basic for being an extraordinary person.
very well said

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
lol when did sky have credibility to begin with nilou jaan?!?! nothing owned by Rupert can ever have credibility!!

bbc.. i'm still undecided about.. i don't understand how they can justify using the british license payer's money to make a channel all in farsi for example? unless they also had a subtle plan for regime change or something and got more funding for it that way? i don't know.. it just doesn't make sense to me!

Messi

IPL Player
Mar 14, 2007
One has to ask Mr Thompson, how on earth does airing a humanitarian relief advert make people think you are biased? Total garbage if you ask me.....and then once that wore off, he said that the viewers çan not be sure if the aid will actually reach Gaza'', hmmm, now do I smell some bias. Idiot.