Top CEOs earn annual worker's salary by lunchtime on Jan. 2

Jun 9, 2004
Canada

CP24.com

TORONTO -- By the time you finish lunch on Thursday, Canada's top paid CEOs will have already earned the equivalent of your annual salary. It may be hard to swallow, but according to an annual review by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, by 1:11 p.m. on Jan. 2, the average top paid Canadian CEO will have been earned as much as the average full-time worker's yearly income.

The review found the average compensation among Canada's top 100 CEOs was $7.96 million in 2012. This compared with the average annual Canadian worker's salary of $46,634.
The centre says CEO pay for Canadian public companies listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange has ballooned by 73 per cent between 1998 and 2012, the latest figures available. In contrast, the average Canadian full-time worker's annual salary has only grown by six per cent during this period.

This amounts to the country's top 100 highest-paid CEOs making 171 times the earnings of an average Canadian wage -- a jump from 105 times in 1998. Meanwhile, minimum wage workers employed for 40 hours a week earned an average of $20,989 a year in 2012. "Compensation packages paid to chief executive officers have come under intense scrutiny and pressure from shareholders, the media, and the general public. There is no clear relationship between CEO compensation and any measure of corporate performance," said the report's author Hugh Mackenzie in a statement. "But despite the scrutiny, the pay of CEOs in Canada and elsewhere has proven to be remarkably resilient."

The review found the top-earning executive in Canada was the head of the Canadian Pacific Railway (TSX:CP), Hunter Harrison, who was paid $49.1 million in salary, stock options and bonuses in 2012. Harrison, who retired as chief executive at Canadian National Railway Co. (TSX:CN) in 2009, saw his pay packet boosted some $44.5 million to make up for pension and other payments that CN refused to make when he took the top job at the rival railway. The second-highest paid CEO was James Smith of Thomson Reuters Corp. (TSX:TRI), who took home $18.8 million, followed by former Talisman Energy Inc.(TSX:TLM) chief executive John Manzoni who pocketed $18.67 million in 2012.
The lowest-paid CEO on the top 100 list was Lino A. Saputo, of Montreal-based dairy Saputo Inc. (TSX:SAP), who earned $3.85 million.

The review also pointed out that three women made it onto the list in 2012 -- Linda Hasenfratz, CEO of Linamar Corp. (TSX:LNR), Dawn Farrell, CEO of TransAlta Corp. (TSX:TA), and Nancy Southern, CEO of ATCO Ltd. (TSX:ACO.X). In 2011, only one female executive was in the top 100 ranking.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002

CP24.com

TORONTO -- By the time you finish lunch on Thursday, Canada's top paid CEOs will have already earned the equivalent of your annual salary. It may be hard to swallow, but according to an annual review by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, by 1:11 p.m. on Jan. 2, the average top paid Canadian CEO will have been earned as much as the average full-time worker's yearly income.

The review found the average compensation among Canada's top 100 CEOs was $7.96 million in 2012. This compared with the average annual Canadian worker's salary of $46,634.
The centre says CEO pay for Canadian public companies listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange has ballooned by 73 per cent between 1998 and 2012, the latest figures available. In contrast, the average Canadian full-time worker's annual salary has only grown by six per cent during this period.

This amounts to the country's top 100 highest-paid CEOs making 171 times the earnings of an average Canadian wage -- a jump from 105 times in 1998. Meanwhile, minimum wage workers employed for 40 hours a week earned an average of $20,989 a year in 2012. "Compensation packages paid to chief executive officers have come under intense scrutiny and pressure from shareholders, the media, and the general public. There is no clear relationship between CEO compensation and any measure of corporate performance," said the report's author Hugh Mackenzie in a statement. "But despite the scrutiny, the pay of CEOs in Canada and elsewhere has proven to be remarkably resilient."

The review found the top-earning executive in Canada was the head of the Canadian Pacific Railway (TSX:CP), Hunter Harrison, who was paid $49.1 million in salary, stock options and bonuses in 2012. Harrison, who retired as chief executive at Canadian National Railway Co. (TSX:CN) in 2009, saw his pay packet boosted some $44.5 million to make up for pension and other payments that CN refused to make when he took the top job at the rival railway. The second-highest paid CEO was James Smith of Thomson Reuters Corp. (TSX:TRI), who took home $18.8 million, followed by former Talisman Energy Inc.(TSX:TLM) chief executive John Manzoni who pocketed $18.67 million in 2012.
The lowest-paid CEO on the top 100 list was Lino A. Saputo, of Montreal-based dairy Saputo Inc. (TSX:SAP), who earned $3.85 million.

The review also pointed out that three women made it onto the list in 2012 -- Linda Hasenfratz, CEO of Linamar Corp. (TSX:LNR), Dawn Farrell, CEO of TransAlta Corp. (TSX:TA), and Nancy Southern, CEO of ATCO Ltd. (TSX:ACO.X). In 2011, only one female executive was in the top 100 ranking.
This is a way to start 2014 !!
Feel depressed now ...
I guess the ideology is that you can be the top CEO as well but the deeper divide between rich and poor is really horrible.

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
This is a way to start 2014 !!
Feel depressed now ...
I guess the ideology is that you can be the top CEO as well but the deeper divide between rich and poor is really horrible.
Don't feel depressed. you could be living in Quebec and paying up to 50 percent taxes so that a bunch of french canadians can collect welfare and drink beer all day.

been paying taxes here for the last ten years and for once I went to the hospital to get some stitches and waited 11 hours and finally gave up and went home and used gauze and band aid myself.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
What's depressing is that with so few women on the list, we don't even have the same chance as women in finding a sugar daddy/mama! ;)

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
What's depressing is that with so few women on the list, we don't even have the same chance as women in finding a sugar daddy/mama! ;)
Don't worry about the women BH jan. All they need is a divorce & they will take half without a days work. Be ghole nan joonam "joosh khodemoono bezen".

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I guess the smart thing is to find a way to milk the CEOs. Invent a toy they would like and you're a winner.

Always go after the money, not the person(s) holding it.

I agree that it's a pathetic state of affairs we're living with though.
agha chakeretam oona maro milk nakonan lazem nist ma oonaro milk konim :D

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
Don't feel depressed. you could be living in Quebec and paying up to 50 percent taxes so that a bunch of french canadians can collect welfare and drink beer all day.

been paying taxes here for the last ten years and for once I went to the hospital to get some stitches and waited 11 hours and finally gave up and went home and used gauze and band aid myself.
This is the Canadian life. Work hard and pay taxes so Quebecois can have every service they want because they're "unique".

bavafa

Ball Boy
Aug 9, 2007
heaven

CP24.com

A lot of the CEOs made their way up and they are typically very intelligent and hardworking people. I know a CEO that works 12 hours a day (yes even Sat & Sun) and made his way up from bottom. Although they make a lot of money, I believe a lot of them deserve the amount of money they are getting compensated.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Don't worry about the women BH jan. All they need is a divorce & they will take half without a days work. Be ghole nan joonam "joosh khodemoono bezen".
Yeah, definitely not worried about women. I meant it's hard for guys to find a good sugar mama on the list to take half the money after divorce without a day's work! ;)

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
I guess the smart thing is to find a way to milk the CEOs. Invent a toy they would like and you're a winner.

Always go after the money, not the person(s) holding it.

I agree that it's a pathetic state of affairs we're living with though.
You can milk the CEO but he/she will eventually milk the consumer. The pay out of his pocket is a long-term investment.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I believe a lot of them deserve the amount of money they are getting compensated.
Let's see, Harrison took home the equivalent of 1/4 of all the dividends the company paid in 2013 and CP trains were at the centre of the worst railway disaster in Canadian history in 2013 and cost the Canadian economy 80 million in 2012 because of a strike - not to mention there have been over two dozen run away trains in the past couple of years that luckily did not end up being another Lac Megantic. So, how exactly is he deserving of that type of compensation in a company that has been around for 130 years and will likely be around for another 130 with or without him?!

On the other end of the scale Lino Saputo's making less than $4 million for a brand that he helped create over 50 years ago and build it to what it is today. Despite being the man who founded the company and made it what it is, his total compensation is not even 8% of the total dividends the company paid out in 2013. Of course there are hard working intelligent people on the list that are deserving of their compensations, but a 50 million compensation for the CEO of one of the least innovative and competitive companies in the world is just ridiculous IMHO.

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
Let's see, Harrison took home the equivalent of 1/4 of all the dividends the company paid in 2013 and CP trains were at the centre of the worst railway disaster in Canadian history in 2013 and cost the Canadian economy 80 million in 2012 because of a strike - not to mention there have been over two dozen run away trains in the past couple of years that luckily did not end up being another Lac Megantic. So, how exactly is he deserving of that type of compensation in a company that has been around for 130 years and will likely be around for another 130 with or without him?!

On the other end of the scale Lino Saputo's making less than $4 million for a brand that he helped create over 50 years ago and build it to what it is today. Despite being the man who founded the company and made it what it is, his total compensation is not even 8% of the total dividends the company paid out in 2013. Of course there are hard working intelligent people on the list that are deserving of their compensations, but a 50 million compensation for the CEO of one of the least innovative and competitive companies in the world is just ridiculous IMHO.
We all know why Harrison is loved though. I do some work with rail companies. He went into CN, fired thousands, increased share prices in the short term, got all the shareholders happy and left.
He is doing the exact same thing in CP. Basically as long as you keep the shareholders happy you win. To be fair though CN now spends alot on expanding their infrastructure out West, so most contractors and consultants are very happy with him as well.

Basically innovation, production... all that doesn't matter. Even if you made a profit, fire employees and make sure the shareholders get something back. I always say these fees are to crush whatever little bit of humanity is left in you. I don't think I could make the decisions these guys make and sleep well at night.

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005

gauze and band aid? I guess it wasn't so serious after all.:--wink: