Ubuntu 10.04

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Fairly impressive. Still light years behind Microsoft when it comes to intuitiveness or better yet making decisions that the user doesn't want to make.

Don't get me wrong. I would choose the worst flavor of Linux over Windows any day but I'm not the market these OSes need to appeal to. They need to appeal to the masses to get programmers like me to bank on making applications for them.

Until then, viva .NET

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I have used Ubuntu 9.10(karmic) and switched to 10.04(lucid) about two weeks ago ...
I have the best Linux experience ... and I have been using it for almost 10 years and almost used every distribution ... This is simply the best ... The Kubuntu is not that polished ... if you want to use KDE, I really suggest wait for Linux Mint which is also based on Ubuntu ...
I really don't think that it is behind windows ... In fact, I think you shouldn't compare it ... It is totally different experience ... when you use Linux, you have full control on everything and I love it ...

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
when you use Linux, you have full control on everything and I love it ...
thats exactly what Soroush was saying, you and I love it, but avg. user doesnt !!! why do you think Apple sells alot? because their OS is DUMMY proof, they take control of EVERYTHING and make most of the decisions for you , the last thing avg. users wants to do is to figure our IRQ , Com ports and drivers, they want to plug it in and see it work, and on that front MS and Apple are light years ahead.

Jan 28, 2005
Stockholm
I started using Linux 3 years ago after my windows crashed totally. I had briefly tried a Slax Linux live CD a couple of years before that when one of my computer geek friends (an Iranian) showed it to me and tried to convert me from being a windows user. He himself was/is a system administrator and a Slackware fanatic. At that time I didn't understand all he said about freedom, open source, full control over your system etc.

When the day finally came when XP took over 10 minutes to boot, full of trojans, pop ups and what not I remembered Linux. I managed to get online and read about Ubuntu and decided time was right to give it a try instead of a fresh install of XP. I downloaded Ubuntu 7.10, burned it and have not looked back since. I was right at home!

Ubuntu has come a long way even from 7.10. I would say that it is pretty much as user friendly as windows or Mac OS, at least this version (10.04). Light years behind Microsoft when it comes to intuitiveness? No way. I'd say it is ahead, specially for most desktop user who just want to surf, chat, social network, download and watch movies, burn CD/DVD's and things like that. It is all so simple, elegant, fast, secure. Geeks on the other hand can go further and do what ever they want with the system, tweak it, change it and the community is the best if you ever get stuck.

The philosophy, security and the community behind Linux and Ubuntu should be enough to switch IMO, unless you are a gamer or use Adobe in your work. I still have a dual boot for that purpose and hope to have a linux version of Adobe production suite!

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
thats exactly what Soroush was saying, you and I love it, but avg. user doesnt !!! why do you think Apple sells alot? because their OS is DUMMY proof, they take control of EVERYTHING and make most of the decisions for you , the last thing avg. users wants to do is to figure our IRQ , Com ports and drivers, they want to plug it in and see it work, and on that front MS and Apple are light years ahead.
I installed ubuntu on my laptop and it just worked.. I installed it with windows 7, and I had to go download the sound drivers ...
The reason that linux is not famous in desktop market is the following:

1) Lack of identity:
You can't associate Linux on desktop for anything ... While I can say, Mac is really good for multimedia (video / sound editing and such )(might be true and might not be) Linux doesn't have this identity.

2) Lack of support: There is not a big company in this world that is pursuing to bring Linux to desktop market. Most companies such as Redhat and Novel are more or less concentrating on server side than anything else and they make money from services. Mark Shuttleworth is a rich south African business man who is supporting the Ubnutu project and it has come a long way ... but unfortunately it needs more support for softwares such as Adobe, Autocad and so on in Linux ...
For sure there are alternatives but people are used to them ...

For video editing:
kdenlive (http://www.kdenlive.org/)

For image editing: The old great Gimp
http://www.gimp.org/

For gaphics: Inkscape
http://www.inkscape.org/

sound editing: Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
I have always been tempted to install linux as I hate MS with a passion. I wont buy a mac since it is sooooo restrictive. The problem for me is that I just love a few products way too much. I use Photoshop and Adobe Premier a lot and just couldnt give these two products up, plus my PC is completely integrated with all my other technology. It is connected to both my living room TV and my bedroom TV. It is connect to my soundsystem and I also have it linked to my iPhone and iPad.

I gotta admit, Windows 7 is much better than both XP and horseshit Vista. I havent had a problem with it yet.

Jan 28, 2005
Stockholm
Pooya jan, I'm still forced to dual boot bc I use Adobe Production Suite for my work. For job related stuff, I can work with any system that does the job, be it PC or Mac. Private is another issue. I want control over my computer that I use privately. I don't trust the security of windows a bit. Apart from that I simply enjoy my linux desktop experience way more than even Win7 (best win yet) let alone Vista or XP.