Upcoming game against Qatar and Bahrain question

Oct 21, 2002
Few years ago in Asian Futsal championship, Japan, Iran, and another team were grouped together. The last game of the group was between Japan and this other team. Table condition was in such a way that if Japan tie or loose, then Japan and this team would advance to the next round, and if Japan beat this team, Japan and Iran would go to the next stage. Japan fully knew that it is in their best interest to prevent Iran from advancing, which would have made them number one team in the tournament. But Japan didn’t pay attention to this and beat this team, and in the final they lost to Iran again and Iran became the Asian Futsal Champion that year.

Anyone can argue about Japanese reasoning but I know they did the right thing.

Now I have read on some of the post that Iran shouldn’t play with its full force against Qater and to let Qatar to go to the next round instead of Bahrain.
I don’t think this should happen and here are my 2 cents:
  • Sport in general and Football in particular is to unit and not to divide. Despite all the misguided past Bahrainis behavior (both players, and federation) we are better than them
  • Don’t forget that most Bahrainis don’t have any misgiving against Iran and it is only a few on the top of the decision making – like Iran – who enjoy steering the pot when dealing with Iran. We should not make the case that the majority views to be changed
  • At the end, this is a game and the better team should be the victor
I remember to have cried 10 years ago when Iran lost to Bahrain, and was very emotional, but when I look back, we let them beat us (not far and square) but we should have been prepared for it.
That definitely was a good lesson for us which are paying off right now.

What do you think?

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
Qatar 9 points GD +5
Bahrain 6 points GD -4

we can beat qatar, and bahrain can beat indonesia, but even then qatar is the most likely team to go through as they have a +9 better goal difference compared to bahrain.

Oct 20, 2002
UAE
Few years ago in Asian Futsal championship, Japan, Iran, and another team were grouped together. The last game of the group was between Japan and this other team. Table condition was in such a way that if Japan tie or loose, then Japan and this team would advance to the next round, and if Japan beat this team, Japan and Iran would go to the next stage. Japan fully knew that it is in their best interest to prevent Iran from advancing, which would have made them number one team in the tournament. But Japan didn’t pay attention to this and beat this team, and in the final they lost to Iran again and Iran became the Asian Futsal Champion that year.

Anyone can argue about Japanese reasoning but I know they did the right thing.

Now I have read on some of the post that Iran shouldn’t play with its full force against Qater and to let Qatar to go to the next round instead of Bahrain.
I don’t think this should happen and here are my 2 cents:
  • Sport in general and Football in particular is to unit and not to divide. Despite all the misguided past Bahrainis behavior (both players, and federation) we are better than them
  • Don’t forget that most Bahrainis don’t have any misgiving against Iran and it is only a few on the top of the decision making – like Iran – who enjoy steering the pot when dealing with Iran. We should not make the case that the majority views to be changed
  • At the end, this is a game and the better team should be the victor
I remember to have cried 10 years ago when Iran lost to Bahrain, and was very emotional, but when I look back, we let them beat us (not far and square) but we should have been prepared for it.
That definitely was a good lesson for us which are paying off right now.

What do you think?
Yes I agree.
BTW that team was Thailand.

And about the loss in 2001 to Bahrain, we lost simply becase we were not good enough. Remeber that we barely drew 0-0 with the same team in tehran, so why did we think it would be easy to beat them in Manamah? The clown Blazevic made it even harder for us with his childesh comments before the game.

Yes I agree.

And about the loss in 2001 to Bahrain, we lost simply becase we were not good enough. Remeber that we barely drew 0-0 with the same team in tehran, so why did we think it would be easy to beat them in Manamah? The clown Blazevic made it even harder for us with his childesh comments before the game.
Also, TM players went to McDonalds before the game :smile:

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
I agree that we should not lower ourselves to the level of Bahrain, and certainly should not intentionally tie or lose to Qatar.

Having said that, we should do what is best for us. This game might be a great opportunity to try some of the younger talent. Play some of our under 23 to see how they will do at this stage. Let Gordan start in goal to get some more practice as the TM goalie.

Perhaps sit out Nikoonam, and Karimi if he is back from injury by then.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
I would say it doesn't matter what the ranking in our group is, we need to go out in the match against Qatar and play for a Win! Who cares what happened in 2001 (although I know it was painful to watch) but we have mainly ourselves to blame in that loss! For the sake of same argument in 2001, then we should have the same reasoning against Qatar because of the loss we had against them in 1997... maybe a lot of us have forgotten about Qatar's loss that year because Iran managed to qualify still... while taking a longer route! Qatar also helped saudis that year by having KSA topping the group and qualifying direct to WC98.