US Members - Travel to Iran w/ Air France?

Shahin2000

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
I have flown this route many times. All I can say is that you can do a lot worse. They have great arrival times, relatively short layovers, decent food and reasonable accommodations. What you call "azyat" is called security check. Many get singled out, including blonds and blue eyes so don't take that personally. But in a discussion about travel and Air France some people just have to bring up Bush and now Sarkosy. Then the pilot did not pronounce Tehran the correct way. Give me a break. He has flown you safely all the way to your destination and this is all you can say about him? There is no "R" in French. They can't say it any other way. It is called accent; something we should be familiar with. Also, I seriously question the judgment of someone who, at all places, the airport security check calls the President of the country names. What were you thinking? You are lucky you didn't land in jail.
damet garm you are so right. Airports are not the place for such jokes. This reminds me of an incident back in 1987. My father and I were traveling from Turkey to U.S. And my father khoda midoone chera shukhish gerefte bood... when the security guy asked him what do you have in that bag? My dad replied a bomb... I could not believe he would say something like that... thank goodness he did not do it now or otherwise he could have been shot on the spot. There are just certain things you dont do in an airport.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
I went to europe with air france and I tell yuou the service was great. their attitude is great too BUT the same damn security agency that runs this crap in USA is running the show in France as well? Brinks security must belong to israelis or something. I cracked ajoke once and the sec. guard smiled, at the checkpoint tho I called bush a F** red neck and they took me aside and searched me twice and tried to get tough with me , and when they realized I wasnt afraid of them they let me go.

so I think the power mafia (new world order) is already in place we just have not been told about it!?

and ppl please dont tell me to not get into politics bcs I dont like to hide my head in sand while the butt is on fire!
meyti jAn,
There are no private security agencies watching over US airports any more, they are all employees of TSA which is branch of the Dept. of Homeland Security.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
the airline is great, but i hate the airport in paris. i have been there 2-3 times, and everytime i have been close to losing my nerve (their security staff are a pain in the backside).

the airline itself is great (i have only used the paris-tehran route, since i live in england).
Same here!! I like the Airline but security staff in Paris International are mad people. During one of my trips from Paris the security guy walked from Magnetometer all the way to the gate and charged against a cowboy looking american guy who was traveling with his family. The cowboy guy didn't even know what was going on.

Farzadoo

Bench Warmer
Oct 22, 2002
Washington DC
What really matters to me is the short layover in Europe when travelling back and forth to IRAN. AIR FRANCE has the shortest layover (less than 2hours) from Washington DC - Paris - Tehran and less than 4 hours on the way back. You also have the option of leaving around 10:00 PM from Dulles Airport in DC and thus can have all day to go to work and catch up with last minute shopping. The entertainment is pretty good. You have your own video screen with multiple choices for movies and a variety of games. Since the flight is late night, its easier for me to just fall asleep over the Atlantic and am thus less tired. WHAT EVER YOU DO, FORGET KLM/Northwest Airlines.... That layover is over 10 hours in Amsterdam.............

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
Your experience with Turkish Air is not unique. There are multiple security checks in all Turkish airports, but the worst part is how rude and offensive they are. These days, security check is pretty extensive in almost all European airports, though not as bas as Turkey. That's just one thing we all have to get used to.

I've flown Air France before. I don't particularly like their service, and De Gaul airport is a mess if you ask me. Lufthansa is your best bet overall, but they're a bit more expensive than others. I've done Virgin/Iran Air a couple of times, and it was pretty good overall. Forget KLM or Alitalia!

raminio05

National Team Player
I know there are rights, but in this day and age, almost everyday, the government introduces a new law taking away the rights of citizens.
They most probably are not going to be able to do anything to the US citizens for wisecracks or complaining about bush, other than searching them more closely and giving hard time. But that is not true for people who go to US on visa.

A few years back, I was on H1(work) visa. There was a law back then that people with student or work visas (even with single entry visas) could go to Canada for less than 30 days and come back without having to renew their visa. I went to Canada on a business trip and on the way back in Niagra falls border post, they didn't let me in.
I went back and called my boss and he contacted our company lawyer. After a few days they sent me a letter to take to the border post and show to the immigration officer. At first they made me wait for about an hour. then the guy started to tell me that "how many times do I have to tell you that you need visa". He also raised his voice a few times.
I stayed calm and told him that my lawyer has asked me to show you this letter. The letter was nothing other than the piece of law that mentioned that a person like me didn't need to renew visa to get back in the US.
He read the letter and told me, I let you in this time but don't come back here again.
30 minutes after I got back in, our lawyer called me and said, I wanted to tell you that if they give you a hard time keep your cool. I told him that I am already through.
I have heard numerous stories about people who lose their cool and their visas are revoked and are even sent to detention centers in border posts or airports.

I get your point about rights and all, but what is gained by arguing with the security people or immigration officers? A lot of them are very prejiduced. It is not worth it.
Baba I'm not arguing for the practicality of arguing with security officials. The point I'm trying to make is that once small rights such as being a wiseass are taken away for "security" reasons, then it wont be long before bigger rights such as the right to privacy are also taken away. Patriot Act anyone? Remember, "those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."

Farzadoo

Bench Warmer
Oct 22, 2002
Washington DC
On a funny note, My younger brother was born in USA, but grew up in Iran and is a senior at Univ of Maryland right now, but whenever he comes back into the states and they ask him what is he studying? his response is "NUCLEAR ENGINEERING" Now he is very light skin and doesn't look like the typical Irooni, but since they know he just came from Iran, you should see the look on their faces. LOOOOOL, the first time he did it we were together (he is almost 21 and I am 38, so the guy did not believe we were brothers and started questioning us and what we did), I said I am a dentist and he is a college student. When he answered Nuclear Engineering, I almost fell to the ground. The INS officer almost came out of his chair but had nothing to say as he had already stamped us in.

I know what some of you mean by not wanting to entice anything but it is good to keep these guys in check as well. I always wear a shirt or something that says IRAN on it when I enter the US. True, I get to have my bags sent thru for x-rays, but I never have anything illegal, so no harm done. I just love the look of the REDNECK UNEDUCATED customs agent when he sees my shirt. But, for christ's sake don't ever say "BOMB" or "Hijack" in an airport.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
I always wear a shirt or something that says IRAN on it when I enter the US.... I just love the look of the REDNECK UNEDUCATED customs agent when he sees my shirt...The INS officer almost came out of his chair but had nothing to say as he had already stamped us in.
Somehow we are so brave, so outspoken and so principled when dealing with the US Government. How about next time you are going through the customs in Tehran wear a t-shirt with a big, bright US flag on it and then tell us how you grabbed your passport and just walked away. After all, he had already stamped you in.

PJ

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
Baba I'm not arguing for the practicality of arguing with security officials. The point I'm trying to make is that once small rights such as being a wiseass are taken away for "security" reasons, then it wont be long before bigger rights such as the right to privacy are also taken away. Patriot Act anyone? Remember, "those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
Ramin jan, You are right 100%. I was not trying to disagree with you. This is one type of intimidation that they are using to take away the rights of people. Sadly, they have fabricated the laws to fit their purpose.

raminio05

National Team Player
Somehow we are so brave, so outspoken and so principled when dealing with the US Government. How about next time you are going through the customs in Tehran wear a t-shirt with a big, bright US flag on it and then tell us how you grabbed your passport and just walked away. After all, he had already stamped you in.
The only difference is that everyone knows about the repression of freedom of speech in Iran, but not as many people know about it in the country that is supposedly supposed to be spreading democracy to all the other "savage" and "barbaric" nations.

AliMR

Bench Warmer
Mar 25, 2005
luftansa pulled me aside on the way back from iran and searched all my things. funny thing is that the agent who picked me out was named SHABNAM.. either turk or iranian.. this is how we deal with each other!

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
People do not go to airports to make political statements, they do not go there to change governments either; they simply go there to fly from point "A" to point "B". As well insulting others, be it political leaders or otherwise, is not a "RIGHT" by any means as freedom of speech must be exercised in a responsible constructive way.

Irrespective of our feelings, the fact of the matter is that Iran does not have a good image in international circles. It is also a fact that due to the actions of a few prejudiced troubled minds who use force and airplanes as means of furthering a political or ideological agenda that airports have sadly become so fortified. However, by the nature of these illumined days and by the influence of the world public opinion, one and all carefully exercise "political correctness" by separating the Iranian people from the actions of its government. Iranians should welcome this opportunity and make every effort to demonstrate the nobility of the peoples of this blessed land by being law-abiding citizens wherever they reside, not to vaunt our past glory, rather to demonstrate our great dedication and desire for lasting peace in the world and prosperity of ALL its peoples.