Use the iranian word "dorood" instead of "salam"

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
I was swapping channels & i saw this guy on tv saying that we should use "dorood" instead of "salam". because that is the Iranian/farsi word for it.

Come to think of it he really has a point. There was this girl who studied farsi in Oslo university for many years & when she spoke to me she sounded much more intelectual then all my otehr iranin friends. & her farsi was so beautifull. It's probably because she used true iranian words instead of foreign words.

So from now on I'm gonna change salam with dorood & im gonna get my friends & families to do so as well.

I was wondering what u guys think about this?

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
thats a great idea actually!

My brother and me, started this Parsi lang tradition since we were kids when we realized there r so many ugly Arabic words sneaking into our conversations(at home atleast) without we notice it.

so since then, we say:
"Dorood" instead of "Salam",
"Shab Khosh" instead of "shab bekheir"
"Bamdad khosh" instead of "sobh bekheir"
This one is funny and pure Parsi(lol): "Hengameyeh Garmabeh khosh" instead of "Saate hamoom"
"Sepas kheili khoshmazeh bood" instead of "kheili mamnoon/lotf kardi,etc"!!!

it sounds wierd but once u get used to it, u notice how nicer it sounds!

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
its been going on in montreal for quite a while now...

many years ago i warned all my friends against saying YA ALI or BE GHOR-AAN in front of me.

most of the time if a persian is saying be ghoraan for sure he is lying...
for sure.

so i told them instead of saying be ghoraan just say whatever the fuck you want to say.

Oct 1, 2004
I still like Salam.
Age gharar bood moshkelat intori hal beshe, kheily vaght pish hame chiz dorost shode bood.

Mr Thick

IPL Player
Oct 21, 2002
I dont see the point, i dont think its a bad idea rather i would prefer to speak with my native toung than it be mixed with arabic words. Nonetheless its not a feasible idea and currently will not solve ANYTHING.

Peace

azaad2004

Bench Warmer
Jul 29, 2005
Not a good idea, trying to purify a language that has already become what it is after hundreds of years today doesn't solve any of Iran's problems, if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

or if it is the image problem,

I don't care what people think of my ethnic background. if they don't know the difference between me and an arab, then it's from their own ignorance. Best thing to do is to teach them the difference...don't change yourselves to please others! Be yourselves and be proud!

also, It sounds a bit funny and unnatrual to use Dorood instead of salam, doesnt it?

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Toofan said:
There was this girl who studied farsi in Oslo university for many years & when she spoke to me she sounded much more intelectual then all my otehr iranin friends. & her farsi was so beautifull. It's probably because she used true iranian words instead of foreign words.
Two key words on why she sounded more intellectual than you and all your friends are highlighted. LOL

Toofan said:
So from now on I'm gonna change salam with dorood & im gonna get my friends & families to do so as well.

I was wondering what u guys think about this?
Also

Toofan said:
Heyfe europa ke give shit about palestine mikoneh.
I think you should first learn how to read and speak Persian (Farsi) and then begin your process of purification.

bachehei keh hanooz balad nist rAh bereh shoroo nemikoneh davidan.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Fatso said:
I still like Salam.
Age gharar bood moshkelat intori hal beshe, kheily vaght pish hame chiz dorost shode bood.
good point..

language is something dynamic...salam is just as much persian as dorood is.

we also once had a discussion about the meaning of dorood...
a friend of mine recently told me that jews and arabs took salam from us...

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
ashtar said:
Two key words on why she sounded more intellectual than you and all your friends are highlighted. LOL

Also

I think you should first learn how to read and speak Persian (Farsi) and then begin your process of purification.

bachehei keh hanooz balad nist rAh bereh shoroo nemikoneh davidan.

fati fati fati......... joooooooooN! :1:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I don't think you can change the words like salam which have already been in persian for centuries! I mean a lot of these words are included in our culture now (e.g. in books of Hafez, Sa'di, etc.).

But the good news is that nowadays the new things in Iran that need to be named, are named with pure persian names and the things with already foreign names "which aren't so cultural" are also changed to pure persian names as well. Here are some examples:

Computer is nowadays called "Rayaneh" in Iran.
Fax has been changed to Door-negar
Helicopter = balgard
etc.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
westwienmaskulin said:
a friend of mine recently told me that jews and arabs took salam from us...

your friend is not correct in this sense. Hebrew and arabic are both semetic languages and if you know as jews say "shalom" which is the same thing as salam and its us who took it from them.

The history behind the word salam is that when two arabs ran into each other in the desert they would say salam=health to each other. Reason was they were armed and would rub each other from what they had. By saying salam they would imply that health be upon you and that we are at peace. Its the word used for people who wanted to kill each other and rub each other. Persians use Dorood which is nicer and more meaningful because they did not rub each other or were killers. I use dorood always since the time I learned the philosophy behind this word. Toofan jaan damet garm for bringing us this topic.
Ps: our language is called persian and not farsi when speaking in english.

sepas

Oct 22, 2003
It seems we have a whole lot of PHD linguists on this board. Only if we would focus our energy on more important issues rather than destroying the language used by the greatest poets in our history.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
using Pure Parsi (Farsi is actually an arabic phrase since they don't have P) vocabularies will actually be one step fwd to solve one problem toward culture cleansing.
Long time ago I started to use "Dorood bar to" instead of Salaamo alay....what ever. nowadays all my friends respond in the same manner.
Even in ISP I always say Geraami for Aziz, Ravaan for rooh and shaad or khosh for Khayr, Sepaas 4 Tashakor or Mamnoon. Parsi vocabularies in our daily dialog are not some strange word from 2500 years ago and most of the time we use both version of the words switching in between.
Lets find the Parsi equivalent for these phrases:
Jomeh (the day)
Taafon (infection)
Ebaadat
Mosaaferat
Najjes
Esteraahat
Sohbat
Molaghaat
Eid (like Norouz)
Sobhaaneh
Nahaar
Shaam
Ghodrat (power)
Vasat
Tavvalod (birthday)
We all know the parsi version of these exampls just need to use it more often.

Sep 25, 2004
Toronto
I only use Shab Khosh, but I won't start saying Dorood in my normal talking.

Guys, if it's like that you have to stop saying, Pizza and call it, "Loghmeh Keshi" and stop saying "Helicopter", say ""Charkheh Baaldar". These are actual translation, I remember from when I was in Iran. They even did a parody of it in a "Bebakhshid" show that Mehran Modiri had, there were some funny ones.

You guys remmeber the "Farsi Ra Paas Bedarid" things that popped up on TV, those were funny too.

All languages assimilate words from other languages, it's more like development actually than losing culture. Personally, I wouldn't mind a world where everyone speaks one language.

This won't help anything in terms of "CULTURE CLEANSING".

Sep 25, 2004
Toronto
OSTAD POOYA said:
why wouldnt you?
My last name is "Doroudi", that's why :D

Dorood bar shoma goes well, but not using Dorood instead of Salam.

I mean imagine my uncle calls me house.

Shahed: Allo
Amoo: Salam Shahed jan, chetori
Shahed: bah bah, dorood Amoo jan. Che khabara?
Amoo: Dorood, aziat mikoneh Shahed jaan.
Shahed: Na amoo, mikham cultureh Irani ro cleanse konam. Shoma ham begin Dorood.
Amoo: Ok... hala, bebin, babat hast?