---Wanted---

mashtnaghi

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Here is a recipe with lamb.

Make the haleem the same way you would make it with Turkey. Replace the turkey with lamb, or Switzerland. :)

JazzedUp

Bench Warmer
Dec 1, 2002
London
Romira said:
the recipes i've got are not precise. it dose not really get into details of it.
and i did not think haleem was made w/ turkey meat in iran.
Well I haven't had Haleem since I was a kid but I remember it always had turkey meat. I'm no expert on Persian cuisine and I'm just saying what I recall.

mashtnaghi

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Here is how I do it:

Slow cook the wheat. Throw it into a food processor a bit at the time. Process until it is smooth. Top each serving with melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon to taste. No meat.

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
Haleem Baadenjaan

Ingredients: (4 servings)

Small eggplants, 6

Lamb or beef, 500 grams

Kashk, one glass (kashk is thick whey, and should be purchased in Iran or at an Iranian store)

Medium onions, 4

Dried mint, 2 spoons (or 200 grams of fresh mint)

Cooking oil

Salt

Black pepper

Directions:
Peel and finely chop onions, Fry in oil until golden. Save half for later use. Cut meat into small pieces and fry with onions until color changes. Add 2-3 glasses of hot water and cook over medium heat for about 45 minutes. If necessary, additional hot water should be added while cooking.

Peel eggplants and slice length-wise to a thickness of 1 cm. Add salt and pepper and fry on both sides on medium heat until golden. Mash the meat and eggplants and mix well. Add the gravy from the meat and one glass of hot water to the mix and cook over low heat, mixing occasionally until no water is left. Remove the mix from heat. Add kashk and mix well, then add fried onions on top.

Fry dried mint in oil for a few minutes. (If fresh mint is used, wash and finely chop it, then fry in oil). Also add fried mint on top of Haleem Baadenjaan and serve.

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
Haleem Baademjan

4 Servings

6 small eggplants
500 grams lamb or beef
one glass kashk (kashk is thick whey, and should be purchased in Iran or at an Iranian store)
4 medium onions
2 spoons dried mint (or 200 grams of fresh mint)
cooking oil
salt & black pepper

Directions:

Peel and finely chop onions, Fry in oil until golden. Save half for later use. Cut meat into small pieces and fry with onions until colour changes. Add 2-3 glasses of hot water and cook over medium heat for about 45 minutes. If necessary, additional hot water should be added while cooking.

Peel eggplants and slice length-wise to a thickness of 1 cm. Add salt and pepper and fry on both sides on medium heat until golden. Mash the meat and eggplants and mix well. Add the gravy from the meat and one glass of hot water to the mix and cook over low heat, mixing occasionally until no water is left. Remove the mix from heat. Add kashk and mix well, then add fried onions on top.

Fry dried mint in oil for a few minutes. (If fresh mint is used, wash and finely chop it, then fry in oil). Also add fried mint on top of Haleem Baadenjaan and serve.

parham3

Bench Warmer
Apr 19, 2005
you manke it as if it's rocket science. I've been makin' haleem since the age of 18 (for the past 2 years).

1. Get gandom. Let it boil in water until it's nice and big. Add in the already cooked lamb. Let the whole thing to boil for a last 5 minutes

2. Take out everything and put it into a commercial mixer. This will make it nice and mooshy.

3. The hard part now: Get the malaghe and let it cook on medium temperature while moving it using the malagheh! Keep moving it so that it doesn't get to the bottom.

Vaghti "kesh oomad" it'll be like paste! It's ready to go! Just add sugar in your plate, roghan kermanshahi, and zarchoobeh! Yammy

Toofan

Elite Member
Nov 14, 2004
Qom
www.toofan.org
Haleem Baadenjaan

Ingredients: (4 servings)

* small eggplants, 6
* lamb or beef, 500 grams
* kashk, one glass (kashk is thick whey, and should be purchased in Iran or at an Iranian store)
* medium onions, 4
* dried mint, 2 spoons (or 200 grams of fresh mint)
* cooking oil
* salt
* black pepper

Directions:

Peel and finely chop onions, Fry in oil until golden. Save half for later use. Cut meat into small pieces and fry with onions until colour changes. Add 2-3 glasses of hot water and cook over medium heat for about 45 minutes. If necessary, additional hot water should be added while cooking.

Come to Montreal and you know where to go to get haleem...

I told you buy a lot and freeze them :peep: :peep: :peep:

you can never make haleem at home...it takes a lots of time and must be made in a big quantity to taste good....
your haleem ends up to be an oatmeal after spending hours and hours ..

artavile

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
MD, USA
LOOOL at all the replies and suggestions.

OK, here is what I know about Haleem: :D

First of all you can use any meat, Turkey, Chicken, beef or lamb, personally I don’t care too much for Turkey/chicken Haleem as much because they make your haleem taste like soup, anyway this is my recipe. Turkey was never used as the main meat in the haleem rather they sprinkled a little bit on top as a garnish in Iran.

I use lean beef cubes but you can also use lamb shank or any other cut (with bones or lean) that you like, the difference is in how much fat you willing to tolerate in your haleem. :football:

This is what you need:
One bag of Haleem Wheat (about 6-8 normal serving)
11/2 lbs meat (don’t overdue the meat)
2 large onions

1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Through the meat, onions, salt and pepper in pressure cooker (if possible) and cook until fully cooked. You will need to use all the meat stock when done.
2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I usually soak the wheat in cold water for a few hours/overnight , then through it in pressure cooker add salt and cook for a about ½ hour.
3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Now you have two cooked products and this is the most important step, remember your wheat is going to look uneatable first, don’t let that bother you.
4)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Start blending your wheat, you’ll need to add hot/boiled water to it to smooth it out
5)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Also blend your meat and onions
6)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Mix together all the blended stuff in a large pot, let simmer on slow temp for at least half an hour, stair occasionally
7)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Serve in bowl, add sugar, cinnamon and butter to taste
8)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Enjoy :)

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
mashtnaghi said:
Here is how I do it:

Slow cook the wheat. Throw it into a food processor a bit at the time. Process until it is smooth. Top each serving with melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon to taste. No meat.
yummi, this should be a tasty haleem!!! dahanam ab oftad!!:)
we have so many great cooks here!!*knock the wood!

Romira jan,
I dont know how to cook one, and I only eat one when I go to Iran every 2 yrs or so.. but Im 100% sure that they make their haleems with Turkey(gooshte booghalamun) in Iran.

JazzedUp

Bench Warmer
Dec 1, 2002
London
Niloufar said:
I dont know how to cook one, and I only eat one when I go to Iran every 2 yrs or so.. but Im 100% sure that they make their haleems with Turkey(gooshte booghalamun) in Iran.
That's what I thought! I remember we use to have it once in a while and it had turkey meat.

Romira

IPL Player
Dec 13, 2002
middle of no where
Merci everyone for your attention and care! i knew i can count on ISP boys & girls(guys,specially) when it comes to Haleem. Hee hee! ;)

RMjaan, yes you did but, frozen haleem doesn't sound good to me.
anyway, do they make it only on the weekends in montreal?

Real Madrid said:
Come to Montreal and you know where to go to get haleem...
I told you buy a lot and freeze them :peep: :peep: :peep:
you can never make haleem at home...it takes a lots of time and must be made in a big quantity to taste good....
your haleem ends up to be an oatmeal after spending hours and hours ..

Khoshteep

National Team Player
May 11, 2003
Ye rooz inja Ye rooz oonjaa
Ok here it goes

You slowly get off the bed early in the morning, wash up, get in car, turn car on, drive, stop by the Sangaki, ask for extra khashkhashi (which is konjed) then go around the corner and ask hajagha for Halim with extra topping then drive back home and serve.

its and old family receipe

Khoshteep said:
Ok here it goes

You slowly get off the bed early in the morning, wash up, get in car, turn car on, drive, stop by the Sangaki, ask for extra khashkhashi (which is konjed) then go around the corner and ask hajagha for Halim with extra topping then drive back home and serve.

its and old family receipe
and after khashkhashi hit the GYM for three hours of treddmill