WC18 and AC19 Qualifications News and Updates

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
Blatter wants more African and Asian teams in World Cup, by cutting in UEFA regions berth.

Platini answers:

"I totally agree with Mr Blatter that we need more African and Asian (teams).
But instead of taking away some European, we have to go to 40 teams. 8 Group of 5 teams.
We can add two African, two Asiatic, two American, one Oceania and one from Europe.
by my own calculations that adding eight more teams would require extending the tournament by only three days."

Here is my 2 cent on this:
The expantion idea is good, specially for AFC.
Remember when 32 teams was introduced FIFA had 160-170 members. Now we have 209 Members.
But It seems that Platinis so called "calculations" are badly wrong.

By the current formation we have:
32 Teams = (EU 13) + (AF 5) + (AS 4,5) + (S.A 4,5) + (N.A. 3,5) + (OC 0,5) + (Host 1)
Group: 8 Group of 4, Knockout: 16 teams
total of 56 matches = 40 groupstage + 16 knockout

By Platinis calculation we shall have:
40 teams = (EU 14) + (AF 7) + (AS 6,5) + (S.A 5,5) + (N.A 4,5) + (OC 1,5) + (Host 1)
Group: 8 Group of 5, Knockout: 16 teams
total of 96 matches = 80 groupstage + 16 knockout

How would you dobbel up the groupstage matches from 40 to 80 and just add 3 days to the event?
Unless you will have 8 match a day, which Means people will miss 4-5 match a day to Watch.

If the tournamemt should expand by number, it can only happen by also extending the duration from 30 to 42 days.
June 20th to August 1st. Players will still have a month to recover for top tournaments.

If duration extention is possible, then why 40 teams? why not 48 teams[
It may sound crazy but I have worked out a formation. My calculation is a win and win (I wish mashdi was here to comment)

My formation is:
48 teams: (EU 16) + (AF 10) + (AS 8) + (S.A 6) + (N.A 6) + (OC 1) + (Host 1)
Group: 12 Group of 4, Knockout: 32 teams
total of 92 matches = 60 groupstage + 32 knockout

My formation have 8 teams more then platini, 32 knockout teams instead of 16, but still 4 matches less then platini.
In my formation group Winners + Runner ups + 8 best 3rd go to knockout
To put it in simple way.
Right now the knockout round is like CL (16 teams)... by Expanding to 48 it will be like EL (32 teams)...
And if you look at the Berths, every region will gain Berths.
Imagine 8 Asian teams in World cup? Wow.

I'll Work on a video called: "Expand World cup to 48 teams". Why? bc I still have time, due to sergury :)
I'll explain all details on the video. IT IS a win and win for all.
And I hope the video is seen by som big shots. WHO knows, some may get inspired and introduce it in 2022 or 2026.
It is worth try...

I just wait for the feb rankings to come out as i'll also make an example on how the 48 teams system Work out.
Just so you know, we will be in Group with England, Uruguay and Mali. ;)
We finish third and go to Next round.
In knockout, last 32: we beat Costa Rica, and go to last 16, but we are eliminated in last 16 by Brazil :)

Right now... In One tournament
30 days.... 32 teams... 56 matches... Iran face ARG - NIG - BOS and is eliminated
imagine...In One tournament
42 days... 48 teams... 92 matches.... and Iran could face: ENG -URU - MAL, still go to NeXT round, face Costa rica and Brazil.

You may say I'm a dreamer... but i'm not the only one.
Watch out for the video, after Feb rankings ;)

Last edited:

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
32 teams are way too many and expansion will not do any good except to make people of certain countries happy to see their teams participating in world cup. I'd stick with current 32 teams but I have always hated giving a chance to second team to advance. My preference is 8 groups of 4 and allowing only top teams to advance (this way fewer teams will go for just getting a point). Then another round of 2 groups of 4 with the top two playing the final. Same number of games, same number of teams and no more upsets in QF or semi finals by teams that defend 500 minutes to get to penalty shootout.

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
32 teams are way too many and expansion will not do any good except to make people of certain countries happy to see their teams participating in world cup. I'd stick with current 32 teams but I have always hated giving a chance to second team to advance. My preference is 8 groups of 4 and allowing only top teams to advance (this way fewer teams will go for just getting a point). Then another round of 2 groups of 4 with the top two playing the final. Same number of games, same number of teams and no more upsets in QF or semi finals by teams that defend 500 minutes to get to penalty shootout.
PI jan! FIFA has expand from 160-70 to 209 members?
now you want to decrease the number?
Dige to Alanan Yazidi!!!

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
PI jan! FIFA has expand from 160-70 to 209 members?
now you want to decrease the number?
Dige to Alanan Yazidi!!!
When did I say reduce? Stay with 32. I generally don't like allowing the second teams to advance and after that leaving everything to one game. Yes it creates drama and excitements but unfair. If only the top team can advance you will see more attacking style games with more goals. Also for next round you will have two more groups to prevent teams being knocked out just by one game. As or being Yazid the title is yours and yours alone with Fariborz having a distant claim to it as well.

Dec 30, 2014
I think expansion of WC to include more teams has more to do with FIFA's desire to generate even more money than anything else. I hope they do not do it, but have a feeling they will.